Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What would you like to do ?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Having a quiet moment in the office, I started to think about things I would like to have done in life but have missed. Mine was to play the cornet and to sing with a Traditional Jazz Band. Anyone else as daft as me ?

Comments

• still got plenty of time to do things i want but i wish i had stayed in America after college now im home.
  • Do you mean things that were possible or dreams?

For example I'd have liked to have played for Charlton and opened the bowling for Kent but I was never good enough.

In terms of things that were theoretically possible: Practical skills (I was thrown out of woodwork at school as unteachable and have never been able to learn DIY) and to play a musical instrument probably.
  • Nice thread Gramps.

Would have:

- Not missed the palace trial i was offered. (would have worn my charlton kit to training ala Giggs at Man City)

- Met Bobby Charlton when he open the KFC in Riyadh instead of going to a school disco with a geordie bird who looked nothing like Donnar Air.

- Stayed free and single until I met the current lucky lady.

- Gone to see Oasis at Wembley when i was ill

- Gone straight out to work instead of University
  • edited February 2011
    Would have:

Not dropped out of Uni so easily in 2007
    Done more with the time in between dropping out and going back in 2008- travel for example.
    Also missed seeing Oasis in 2009 for no good reason
    Gone to Peterborough last year, gutted I missed such a great win

Hopefully still have plenty of time to do as much as I realistically can.
  • I don't have many "should have done" things - I lucked into a great career, which paid well and for the most part I enjoyed. My oft-heard lament that I should have been a rock star is not to be taken too seriously, although the years I wasted as a bank clerk when I left school maybe I should've wasted trying to "make it"!

Shouldn't have decided to take some time off work when between jobs in July 2009 - haven't had a "proper" job since. As a result, my next regret is: probably shouldn't have started up my local PC/IT Support business as it's proved to be a good way to slowly lose money! But I'm hanging in and maybe business will pick up?
  • Tnanks everyone, some interesting stuff coming out. To turn it on it's head for a moment, if there is someone you love dearly and you have not told them, for me it was my Dad, tell them now. I still miss him, but it's a real comfort to know that he went to his maker knowing how I felt.
  • [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Tnanks everyone, some interesting stuff coming out. To turn it on it's head for a moment, if there is someone you love dearly and you have not told them, for me it was my Dad, tell them now. I still miss him, but it's a real comfort to know that he went to his maker knowing how I felt.

Can't do that until Kylie agrees to have the injunction lifted!
  • I would have liked to have remembered Valentines day today.
  • To do - Learn a foreign language, Spanish or French, was never interested at school, but would love to have time.

Didn't do but should have - When I was in Dublin in 1999 or 2000 at the Skerries road racing event, saw the late great Joey Dunlop, who was fixing his bike in the paddock (a field) thought I would go over say hello, picture etc, but got distracted, and missed him, he died not long after, great racer and top bloke by all accounts.
  • If this is a pipe dream thread rather than missed opportunity...

Either played cricket professionally, learnt to draw/paint or play a musical instrument. I quite like the idea of a cornet or saxaphone, nothing too bulky. I have a cousin who plays/teaches the double bass and it's a real pain to drag around.
  • Sponsored links:

• A cricketing regret...

Quite a few years ago I went to Canterbury to see Kent play Glamorgan on a dank autumnal morning, I wouldn't have bothered going but for it being Viv Richard's last ever FC match so there was history of a sort to be made. With some time before the start of the match I wandered around the ground which at about 10AM was virtually empty - programme sellers, groundstaff and the players warming up in the nets and virtually no one else. Then Viv came out and one of the Glamorgan players chucked a few balls down for him so I wandered over and tried to sum up the courage to ask if I could chuck a few balls down. I'm not talking about proper net practice, just someone thudding a few balls down from around ten yards so he could feel the ball on the bat. Still at least he acknowledged my presence - or at least seem to nod in my direction and then he strode off - the moment was gone.
  • I wish I'd concentrated more at school. I cruised through the first 4 years (Secondary school) and was constantly being told how I'd pi55 my O-Levels and A-Levels and go onto University (with all due respect to kids today, Uni not Pollys or Colleges the best part of 30 years ago were difficult to get into) even Cambridge as my History teacher had suggested. Well I believed my own publicity and totally effed around in the 5th Form. Got into beer and birds and going out etc. Flunked my O-Levels, had to retake and never did A-Levels let alone University.
    Went to work and although I have done very well financially, still regret not having gone to University as in those days it was something special and could really set you up.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]I would have liked to have remembered Valentines day today.

That's a lot of disappointed Stephanie's :-)
  • I should have:

turned up for school football training more than once (I would be our current right back instead of Simon Francis if I had...you mark my words!)

stuck with the languages (ready for my move to Barcelona to replace Dani Alves in the summer)

not bothered with Uni (!)

set an alarm a few months back so I could get Foo Fighter tickets for later this year!
  • Would have loved to work on the Thunderbirds/Stingray special effects before the age of CGI. Bet those lucky bar stewards had a right ball.
  • They say it's never too late. Be inspired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1tZizprVzI
  • Wish I had of learned Spanish when I had the chance at school.... been living in Mexico the last 3 months and taking Spanish lessons, but still can't talk more than the basics.

Travelling New Zealand when I was 21, had a one year work visa but left after 6 months just before the ski season started in Queenstown because my gilfriend at the time was keen to head back to England after being away for nearly 2 years. Meant I did not take up skiing and snowboarding until I was 29... missed out on years of fun. Should have dumped her and stayed out there!

Still loads of things I want to do, main three being. Travel Africa and the middle East. Spend a season each teaching scuba diving and snow boarding... 33 now (and most importantly single!!) ... so still will hopefully get em done.
  • edited February 2011
    Also would love to learn to play a musical instrument!
  • Absolute loads.
    Speak English correctly
    Spell better than a 10 year old
    Speak a foreign language apart from my South London English
    Learn to play a guitar (although I can make them, wood work "o" level there)
    I could go on but the real one I regret now is;

I should have become an estate agent 30 years ago. An idot could have made a fortune in the last 30 years
  • To Charltonkeston :-

Get cracking and learn to play that guitar now. You will be able to entertain yourself, and others, for the rest of your life. I wish I could play the Banjo now, but it would probably have led to divorce so perhaps not.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    I try not to have regrets but:

- Wish I had gone to oz with a mate on gap year instead of going straight into Uni

- Wish that I had tried harder at golf when I was younger. Although I am a good player now, I could have been much much better if i had concentrated on it when I was younger instead of playing football and cricket

- Wish I had plucked up the courage to ask out this gorgeous girl at school (a few years later i foudn out that she liked me at the time too) (although, now I have the most beautiful girl in the world, so I guessed it worked out well in the end)
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Would have:

Other than they are toilet.
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Would have:

Other than they are toilet.

lol! I love oasis and managed to see them at Wembley a couple of days before they split....They were good live and made some great music, especially in the 1990's. Noel is quite clearly the most talented one and I hope he releases a solo album soon!
  • I wish I had learned a trade, rather than working at o and a levels, and I wish that computer studies wasn't something that only the less acedemic kids did when I was at school.
    I wish I had gone to meet Morcambe & Wise when they opened a DIY store near my house when I was about 10.
    I wish I had been spineless enough to support Man Utd or Arsenal like most of the other kids - would have saved me a lifetime of suffering...
  • I regret not continuing football for a team when i was 10, might be joining one again the summer
    Wish i did guitar lessons at an earlier age.
    Wish i saved up money to get a season-ticket during our Prem days.
  • screwing up and throwing away the best thing that ecer happened to me
  • Too young for major regrets, im sure I'll end up digging this up in 5 years or something ;)
    maybe not 5 years, come results day I may be here again.