Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where have all the heroes gone?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Over the years we have had many a player putting on the red shirt with fire in his belly willing to fight to the death to get the right result for the club. During Curbs reign, we normally had 2 or 3 of these type of players in the same team, those that run their heart out and chase seemingly lost causes. Those that play with a sense of urgency and self-determination.

I think we can (mostly) all agree that we are currently lacking this type of character at the club, the closest to it maybe Semedo?

My question is: Do these type of players still exist?

Chrissy Powell was certainly one of those during his playing career and my hope is that when he can start building HIS charlton in the summer, this will be an attribute (along with talent) he will be looking to instill into his team. By god, we need it!

Comments

• i think that the turnover of players since the prem, each summer seeing a new crop come in as the old lot go, it has been difficult for players to have an affinity with the shirt and us with them. I do think the current crop do give their all for the team, specially eliot, dailly, semedo, wagstaff ... but either they are not good enough or they are not set out the right way.
  • in answer to your question... we sold them all..
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]i think that the turnover of players since the prem, each summer seeing a new crop come in as the old lot go, it has been difficult for players to have an affinity with the shirt and us with them. I do think the current crop do give their all for the team, specially eliot, dailly, semedo, wagstaff ... but either they are not good enough or they are not set out the right way.

Also players need to give their all to the point where they believe in themselves, and let go of all that self doubt and panicky play.
  • Semedo is our current hero, he would happily take smash in the face or balls than concede, he works so hard, does more than his fair share of work for the team, he must be captain next season, he sets a terrific example.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]i think that the turnover of players since the prem, each summer seeing a new crop come in as the old lot go, it has been difficult for players to have an affinity with the shirt and us with them. I do think the current crop do give their all for the team, specially eliot, dailly, semedo, wagstaff ... but either they are not good enough or they are not set out the right way.

Good points - the revolving door of "talent" has spun almost out of control over the last few seasons. I do despair when every season the manager has to build a new team in the summer - we haven't had a settled team for a few years now. Problem is, I can see Chris Powell facing a rebuilding job this summer too - surely this is Dailly's last season and add to that we have a number of players out of contract.
  • Elliot, Dailly, Wagstaff, Semedo as kap said. The difference between them and Kinsella, Robinson, Powell etc is they are not as good. Just look at our best performances this season, people afterwards on here talk about the passion, spirit etc. Then we lose and some question if the effort is there.

What people really mean when they say they want passion is players consistently getting the most of their ability, at the very least achieving the minimum expected and not making bad mistakes. Doherty and Llera perfect examples of that. They clearly put the effort in every game they play. They make the mistakes they do because they are League One players, nothing to do with them not having the "passion" that players in the past had.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Elliot, Dailly, Wagstaff, Semedo as kap said. The difference between them and Kinsella, Robinson, Powell etc is they are not as good. Just look at our best performances this season, people afterwards on here talk about the passion, spirit etc. Then we lose and some question if the effort is there.

What people really mean when they say they want passion is players consistently getting the most of their ability, at the very least achieving the minimum expected and not making bad mistakes. Doherty and Llera perfect examples of that. They clearly put the effort in every game they play. They make the mistakes they do because they are League One players, nothing to do with them not having the "passion" that players in the past had.[/quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head