Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shut Shop

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Good afternoon everyone from sunny blackheath,

This time last year elliot got injuryed, with randolph in goal we went on a good run. Elliot is a good keeper but never will be a brillant. Randolph took us on a good run and into the play offs. First goal on Saturday under his body. Second goal i didnt see him telling Doc to play it away or give it the big boot, he saw the goalscorer coming in, as for the third a complete plank. Cost us the game and 3 points.

Always said he lets to many weak shot in. As for the back 2 if someone shouted shut shop, they would think its the valley superstore closing. You must have a brick wall in front of the keeper, not one that keeps falling down. If everyone knows whats wrong with the team so does Chris Powell.

2 iron men at centre back and a brain in the midfield, and a quality keeper is what we need.

Lets hope for the best, as we can still do it.

With love,

The blackheath brain aka Malc.

Comments

• After the first few clean sheets I thought well done CP, when you see people like Martin O'Neill arrive at a Club the first thing they do is to shut up shop. Last Saturday however showed that Rob Elliott has a way to go yet before he is the finished article. I still believe that the priority for The Board is to make changes in the Summer, and I am expecting more suffering for the rest of this season. Remember it isn't good enough just to get into the play offs, you have to be capable of winning it. I fear a repeat of last year.
  • Personally i think Elliot is a league 2 keeper at best.
    He never seems convincing, coming to claim a long ball he usually flaps at it , and his kicking is woeful.
    He is over weight and whilst i understand Doc & Dailly are older and more experienced he should still be barking out the orders to them two in some situations.
  • Some permanent quality reinforcements are better than loans. I really hope that the owners have some 'serious cash' as we are going to struggle to get out of this division without some quality improvements.
  • I think there are a lot of players I would be digging out before criticising Elliott.

He's not as good as what we have had previous seasons but he is definitely a capable league 1 keeper.
  • Shut shop- Lets be honest everyone elliot is not good enough. Doc you don't get something for nothing in this world. Dailly can't do it on his own, Fortune cant do 90 without a cock up, Llera same as fortune...

No brain in midfield but if we had we would have the power to score goals,But then when we do score. They must be able to shut shop.

If everyone know, so does CP.

Sometimes I think there is a bad ghost hanging around on the pitch, So come on vicor get down to the valley and help. It will happen again and again... I remember newport county coming to the valley and hadn't scored a goal in 18 months and beat us 4-1...
  • edited February 2011
    GRAY9 are you related to Mr Elliot ;) sound like your his mum...

Remember him letting goals in, from well outside the box.. Bouncing 2 or 3 times before going in...

Never get sentimental if you want promotion...
  • i hoped thought it was a sending off for the penalty ;-)
  • This is laughable.

So after one defeat (where he's wasn't a completely at fault for the goals) Elliot is suddenly "league 2" at best" and "not good enough".

Strange that these comments weren't appearing when we were keeping clean sheets but I suppose that was down to our excellent defence not Robbie. Oh, hang on a minute our defence is crap too so how does that work?

There is a middle ground between black and white, brilliant and useless, hopeless and genius and it's where all of our players exist.
  • One bad game and suddenly Elliot is only a League 2 keeper.

Last week against Peterborough he kept us in the game, whilst despite his distribution being questionable there are far worse keepers in this League.

I accept letting Randolph go was a mistake but Elliot is very capable at this level.
  • edited February 2011
    he has improved massively in recent games hopefully this will be a one off from now on in
    maybe the new keeping coach is helping him improve cos he certainly has since ben roberts turned up imo
  • Sponsored links:

• He has made some cracking saves this season to help us win points, that people are quick to forget.
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]GRAY9 are you related to Mr Elliot ;) sound like your his mum...

Remember him letting goals in, from well outside the box.. Bouncing 2 or 3 times before going in...

Never get sentimental if you want promotion...

I remeber the best keepers in the world letting goals like that in every so often....It happens. Elliot isn't the reason we're currently not good enough for promotion, he's more than good enough at this level. Powelly's got bigger priorities to sort out.
  • We used to get this crap with Deano believe it or not! A keepers error is the most high profile mistake in football as it results in a goal. A striker misses a sitter and it's soon forgotten because the score stays the same. Goalkeper howler and the score changes.
    Rob reads this board, he must be shaking his head.
  • Robbie is closing in on 100 games and in the vast majority of these he has performed adequately or well.

At nearly 25 he is still relatively young for a keeper and will continue to improve. I cannot understand why some are so keen to make him a scapegoat. I would agree he should have done better with the first goal on Saturday but all keepers, even Sam Bartram and Deano, make mistakes. The Doc sold him short for both the 2nd and 3rd goals and would probably be the first to hold his hand up and admit it.
  • i agree he was left stranded by doc for the 2nd but the decision making to give away a penalty there was robbies fault, he didn't need to be chasing that down near the edge of the box , more centrally yes but not there
  • edited February 2011
    Wow, please delete this thread. Hes is one of the highest rated goalkeepers in the league which I agree with. You clearly haven't watched Robbie at his best. Its not his thought that doherty is an absolute donkey. He doesn't have faith in his 2 centre backs and too be fair would you? Why doesn't dailly get moaned at either, he isn't all that this season. Dead Wood.
  • I remember deano getting pelters after letting in a soft one against swindon years ago after a long unbeaten run, went on to be one of our best keepers, he was 28 then. Robbie reminds me of him greatly and is stil a baby in gk years, a decent coach to work on his kicking and comand of his area and he could be a legend.
  • Robbie had a bad day at the office on Saturday - he's made some great saves this season that have ensured we ended games as the winning team - one bad game does not make him a bad player.
  • [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]I remember newport county coming to the valley and hadn't scored a goal in 18 months and beat us 4-1...

i don't think so
  • edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]
    I remember newport county coming to the valley and hadn't scored a goal in 18 months and beat us 4-1...

Well we last played Newport County in the 80/81 season, we won both home and away. We didn't play them before that post WWII, and they never beat us 4-1. Home or Away.Infact they've never won at The Valley. Your memory is slipping.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2011
    Elliot is not a great keeper, if he was he'd be in the Prem. he is not a rubbish keeper, if he was he'd be conference. he is an ok keeper who is ok for this level. Yes it would be nice if we had a keeper who was a division better than the one we were in, as Curbs had when he bought Deano, but we have not and he is as good as most keepers in this division, if not better than most.

I have not been a great fan of his and would have preferred randolph, but this season on the the whole he has been better than last and for a young goalkeeper, he is doing the right thing - improving. Saturday was an abberation and he had a part to play in all three goals, with the first goal having the primary role. However the other two were down to Doherty, who as a senior player should have been instilling confidence in his keeper not uncertainty.

I would like to see a more experienced keeper to come in as number two as I think pressure on his position would further boost his development, but lets not make him the focus of our disenchantment, I thought we had given that role to McOxo and francis.
  • I would like to remind all supporters a goalkeeper is there to save and stop the ball from going in the goal. When some of you remark that he done a brilliant save against posh and also good saves throughout the season can i just remind you all of that is what a goalkeeper is for. If some of you don't think so please explain what a keeper is for because in my interpretation the goalkeeper is there to stop the ball, regardless how he does it, elbow save, head save etc. He is also there to command his back four how he wants them because he is watching the whole game behind them.

There was a keeper with a red nose who played for Utd who didn't stop shouting, commanding his team, love him or hate him he is one of the best of all time. I made remarks about the Exter game and I watched the county game and saw no difference.

Carl jen should be playing right back and form a partnership with waggy or who ever is playing right winger. He is a good player so play him. He done one dodgy back pass against county and Elliot should of not of waited but gone to meet the ball when under pressure.

My two faults- I breath air and i'm always right.