Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Honeymoon period over, now we will see what he is made of.

Can't believe BWP was played in midfield. Terrible decision

Comments

• Options
    Does this really need a new thread? Why not post this on the Post Match one?
  • Options
    Honeymoon period my a$$
  • Options
    Won 4 lost 2. Pretty good record with a team that wasnt setting the league alight. At least we have had a honeymoon period with this manager. Let's give the man a chance to put his mark on the team before we start questioning the appointment.
  • Options
    If you appoint an inexperienced manager, you need to give him time.

Honeymoon period? I'd say about 12 months at least. Otherwise go for an experienced manager.

Most people wanted CP. Don't expect him to become Jose Mouriniho over-night. Give him a couple of seasons FFS.
  • Options
    67% win ratio, that's better than Curbs (39%), Lennie (31%) or Jimmy South Stand (43%). In fact it's a better ratio than all other Charlton managers except Les Gore.
  • Options
    BWP has played on the wing for every club he has played for at some point, quite effectively as well at times.
  • Options
    All of the above, except post 1.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]If you appoint an inexperienced manager, you need to give him time.

Honeymoon period? I'd say about 12 months at least. Otherwise go for an experienced manager.

Most people wanted CP. Don't expect him to become Jose Mouriniho over-night. Give him a couple of seasons FFS.

seconded, although I did expect Cristiano Powell
  • Options
    I don't get this whole thing about the "real work starts now". Really annoys me when people say it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]67% win ratio, that's better than Curbs (39%), Lennie (31%) or Jimmy South Stand (43%). In fact it's a better ratio than all other Charlton managers except Les Gore.

This has got to be a wind up. Chris Powell has managed us in 6 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just think about the situation that CP arrived to find. A team that were decently placed but very inconsistent, and a need to appoint a new Assistant Manager and a new First Team Coach. Obvious requirement to strengthen the squad in just about all areas, with just a couple of weeks to do it. Presumably personal adjustments to be made with family, Schools etc, and the need to get to know the existing squad quickly.
    He arrived in January folks, and this is February, and as far as I know he wasn't carrying a magic wand. It is obvious to me that the expectations put upon him by the new Owners must have been far more sensible than those being expressed by some supporters. We surely all of us understand the great opportunity which CP has now, but please lets accept that we need a carefully planned and executed programme, not a quick fix.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]67% win ratio, that's better than Curbs (39%), Lennie (31%) or Jimmy South Stand (43%). In fact it's a better ratio than all other Charlton managers except Les Gore.

It's just a response to someone who thinks you can judge a manager after six games. Of course doing so is meaningless, but if someone is going to let just two defeats lead us into being critical, I'm going to wheel out some facts (however irrelevant) in support of our manager. The last thing we need is people putting unnecessary pressure on.
  • Options
    Les Reed 14.28% thats got to be a record?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

It's just a response to someone who thinks you can judge a manager after six games. Of course doing so is meaningless, but if someone is going to let just two defeats lead us into being critical, I'm going to wheel out some facts (however irrelevant) in support of our manager. The last thing we need is people putting unnecessary pressure on.

I agree there is no way you can judge a Manager after so short a time. But isnt that exactly what many supporters did to Parky when he took over as caretaker Manager from Pardew. He had an awful start and a lot of fans never took to him because of that and also because he was connected to Pardew. The constant change of Managers hasnt worked so far, so would like to see Powell given 2 years minimum. A question to all, in the last season and a half were you happy that Parky took us to the Play-offs and within a couple of points of automatic promotion and left when we were fifth?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

A question to all, in the last season and a half were you happy that Parky took us to the Play-offs and within a couple of points of automatic promotion and left when we were fifth?

Personally I was very unhappy with his "achievments" and was extremely pleased when he left.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]But isnt that exactly what many supporters did to Parky when he took over as caretaker Manager from Pardew.

No I am sorry, its completely different.

1. He was the Assistant Manager under Pardew and associated with the abject performances of the team which was half-way through the worst run in our history.
    2. His position wasn't permanent, it was temporary. He presided over the second half of our worst run in history.
    3. At the end of the worst run in our history, he was offered the permanent job, despite the fans being given an assurance by the then Chairman, that their decision would take account of results. By any objective assessment he should never have been given the permanent role.

By confirming him in the role, it wasn't the case of "we have searched for the best candidate (as in CP)", it was a case of either, "we can't agree on a replacement" or "we can't afford one". That decision was not his fault but it was why so many fans did not have any faith in him, why he never had any so called "honeymoon" period, and why he was always only one or two performances away from being touted for the sack.

In contrast CP has been selected from a number of candidates. He has arrived with huge goodwill and it is why most who have responded to the initial silliness of the first post on this thread are prepared to give him a much longer time before losing faith in him.
  • Options
    Chris is trying to get some people in - In the meantime he has to make the best of what he was left with - he has bought BWP - 4 goals in 5 games - we can't criticise too much although I think he did get it slightly wrong on Saturday and was a bit slow to make the changes required - Whilst we didn't set the world alight, it was fair to say he was a bit unlucky too as we could have been 2 up before they scored. The problem is that in the four games we won under him, we had a bit of luck go our way- thats the thing if you rely on luck - it goes for and against you. We are a big club at this level and need to to lessen the luck factor and impose our game on sides a bit more. The striking options look good, we just need to get the balance of the rest of the side right to maximise the benefits of this. I reckon 2 of the right players and we could be very strong at this level. I will be watching the loan news with interest.
  • Options
    Have to say I agree with the original post.

I don't expect Chris Powell had seen much , if any, of our League One games before he took over and thus he had to get himself accusmtomed to the players and their good & bad points (I don't know whether he studied any of our games that had been on TV during the first few days of his tenure, but if it were me then I would have done) but by now surely he would know:

1) We need a playmaker in midfield
    2) Racon is a far better player than McCormack
    3) We need a more solid defence
    4) BWP needs to be playing up front - not out wide
    5) Our wingers need to get crosses in.
    6) we need to play our wingers.

I'm not sure whether I would have got 4 wins out of 6 if I was in charge, but by God Id know that by now you'd be seeing a difference out on the pitch, in terms of performance and personnel !!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

1) We need a playmaker in midfield
    2) Racon is a far better player than McCormack
    3) We need a more solid defence
    4) BWP needs to be playing up front - not out wide
    5) Our wingers need to get crosses in.
    6) we need to play our wingers.

1) & 2) what makes you think he doesn't know that? Racon has been injured plus he is the most frustrating of players. He plays when he fancies it. Every manager we have had has had a look at Racon and then dropped him. You have to ask yourself why?
    3) No shit Sherlock ;0). Saying it often doesn't make the problem go away. We have four central defenders in the squad, one is old but decent, one is old and a tryer but is error strewn, one is old and past it, and one is old and useless. Getting in a decent replacement is not going to be easy. I think Fry could be that person but Bessones injury has kiboshed that for the time being. I have no doubt he is trying to get someone in.
    4) BWP has played as winger at his previous clubs. It was an experiment but lets not forget, we created more chances in this game than in recent games. Lets not blame CP for something which didn't cause us to lose the game. It was poor defending that let us down starting with Elliott.
    5) This has been a problem for years and ain't going to be sorted in a few games. In recent games, the full backs have been encouraged to push on and provide a crossing option. Didn't two of our three goals against Posh come from good crosses?
    6) Waggy has struggled in recent games and Reid only plays when he fancies it.

The performances haven't been sparkling since he took over but they were pretty dire in Parkys last half dozen. We are playing our fourth choice forward due to injuries, our third choice left back and our third choice right back. Plus, as I mentioned above, Racon has been injured.

In my view talk of automatic promotion is far too premature. If we make the play offs again that will be a more than decent start to CPs term.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite] A question to all, in the last season and a half were you happy that Parky took us to the Play-offs and within a couple of points of automatic promotion and left when we were fifth?
    I was happy with what he achieved in the circumstances. Given the forced player sales, the small amount of money to spend and the poisonous atmosphere at home matches, I think he did very well. In fact (I'm expecting a kicking for saying this - oh yeah, blame the fans etc.) but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we would have gained the extra two points we needed for automatic promotion if the atmosphere at The Valley hadn't been quite so tense and unforgiving. That said, I still think we reached a point where Parkinson's position was untenable. Not because he's not good manger, not because he hadn't done a reasonable job, but because and increasingly large section of the crowd did not accept him. The time had came when we needed to make a clean break, simply to get everybody at the club behind one man.

That is all academic now. We can't turn back the clock and we will never be able to prove or disprove my hunch that the atmosphere of fear cost us two or more points. All we can do is get behind the new manager and do our best to ensure that we positively support the club. As I see it, Parky got a bad deal from us. I'd just like to ensure that people don't turn on Powell in the same way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig, I do sort of agree with you - there were sections of our fans who never really got behind Parky and whilst I thouight he was doing a sound job, I do understand why the board sacked him. Powell has that support - everybody wants him to do well and we are collectively more patient. I think he'll get it right sooner rather than later. We have some very good players for this level but are being undone by more limited teams who play better together as a team. Powell needs to identify a system to get th emost from our qulaity players and probably bring a couple more in. I think we are closer now to a strong side than we were a month or so ago - look at the strength of the bench. Powell will sort it.
  • Options
    And are quality players are?
    _
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Les Reed 14.28% thats got to be a record?

Keith Peacock 0%?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Stig, I do sort of agree with you - there were sections of our fans who never really got behind Parky and whilst I thouight he was doing a sound job, I do understand why the board sacked him. Powell has that support - everybody wants him to do well and we are collectively more patient. I think he'll get it right sooner rather than later. We have some very good players for this level but are being undone by more limited teams who play better together as a team. Powell needs to identify a system to get th emost from our qulaity players and probably bring a couple more in. I think we are closer now to a strong side than we were a month or so ago - look at the strength of the bench. Powell will sort it.

If Saturdays result helped to prove one thing - it doesn't really matter how big or positive the crowd are, its 99% down to the players on the pitch and i don't buy into this negative atmosphere lark - they just aren't / weren't very good.
  • Options
    Too many turds in are squad , if powell sorts this lot and gets us promoted next season , it
    will be a miracle. You cant polish turds so the board need to back him in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite] If Saturdays result helped to prove one thing - it doesn't really matter how big or positive the crowd are, its 99% down to the players on the pitch and i don't buy into this negative atmosphere lark - they just aren't / weren't very good.
    I agree with you that Saturday's result was down to the team, I also agree its 99% down to the players. But that does not prove that the size or positivity of the crowd (or lack of) have no effect - all it proves is that having a big crowd is no guarantee that the players will show up, which is quite a different thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Parkinson was removed to give the club every chance of getting promotion http://tinyurl.com/5raofg3
    on that basis there is no reason why we should be lowering our sites this season.

My understanding from the comments made to powell by slater when he offered CP the job he would be spending more time with his family which implies to me they are already down here and he will be able to live with them, therefore he has not had the distraction of schools relocation..
  • Options
    Anyinsah, BWP, Ecclestone, Reid, Semedo and Racon are Championship quality -problem is half of them didn't start on Saturday. Bring in a couple more of the right quality and that's 8 -then you have Elliott, Dailly, Doc, Francis, JJ, Benson and Waggy who are more than decent at this level.
  • Options
    I agree with the scabby horse (try antibiotic, steroidal cream btw)

Silk purses and sow's ears and all that....

I expect us to be in this league next season, but still have some hope that we won't. If we are, then I would expect Powell's team to be assembled over the summer and many of our current players to move on to other clubs (too many have shown that they are not up to job IMHO).

We need to give the man time to get the team that he wants playing the football that he wants.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Despite the fact that we have not been Barcelona enough for some in his first 4 games we still won and I very much doubt too many teams in League One play like Barcelona week in week out, so as it is a results driven business we got four favourable results. The last two games have not gone our way but Hartlepool could have been a draw as we hit the post- such is the thin margin between what would have been an acceptable result and what is a disappointing one.
    I felt Exeter shaded us on saturday and probably deserved the win but even then we had our chances and hit the post (more than once so we could easily have drawn).
    Had we added two draws to the four straight wins we would be seen as one of the form teams. 4 wins 2 defeats -early days for Chrissy Powell- no need for the panic button just yet, things are still gelling, squad being assessed, and quite obviously our manager needs time to get used to the job and the demands made by it too. We do need a little more cohesion against Notts County on friday than we showed collectively against Exeter but hopefully with the right amount of effort and a tweak here and there we can lay our TV hoodoo.