Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did we really have time?

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
With the new owners, and Murray for years for that matter, banging on about the importance of investment so we could tap into the Olympics market, we needed to be promoted urgently this year. The reason being that we needed to be in the Champ at least in the 2011/2012 season. So it surprised me to see Slater saying something along the lines of promotion is a bonus with Powell.

I see it as more urgent than that and I wonder if we really can afford another year in this league. That said, we should have backed him more in the transfer market imo (unless we did and he couldn't get the players in).

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, but we do not need to be promoted urgently. What we need is to be promoted properly, with a squad capable of performing well in the Championship, and improving in order to challenge for the ultimate goal of a return to the Premiership, progressing in the Cups etc.
    Also, what exactly does ' tap into the Olympics market ' mean ? I would be happy tapping into the money provided by the Premiership thank you, which with the right Owners would mean a full Stadium every game watching top class players and attractive football. We are now involved in a Marathon, not a Sprint.
  • Options
    Although only a few weeks ago we were involved in a Sprint and it waS said to be imperative
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]Sorry, but we do not need to be promoted urgently. What we need is to be promoted properly, with a squad capable of performing well in the Championship, and improving in order to challenge for the ultimate goal of a return to the Premiership, progressing in the Cups etc.
    Also, what exactly does ' tap into the Olympics market ' mean ? I would be happy tapping into the money provided by the Premiership thank you, which with the right Owners would mean a full Stadium every game watching top class players and attractive football. We are now involved in a Marathon, not a Sprint.

I assume they mean tapping into new ppl moving to the area, in and around the Olympic village. In league one, how do you compete with West Ham?
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies lads, you may have noticed that Michael Slater said recently that CP has not been brought in to wheel and deal, but instead to work on improving what we have mainly. This indicates a steady growth plan, and a hasty rise can often lead to a quick fall. Lets wait and see what West Ham will bring.
  • Options
    It was imperative before the takeover, as we may well have gone into administration.
    Now, it is not, as we won't.
    The reason for saying promotion for Powell is a bonus, is so as to not heap too much pressure on him immediately.
  • Options
    Agreed for fiancial reasons its no longer imeprative, but I would be very dissapointed if we were below last years position, obviously once in the play offs its luck as much as anything else and i do not see this team making automatics.