Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

old charlton programmes and other such memorabilia

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
about a month ago I bagged up 3 black bin liners with old charlton programme and a few videos. fully intending to throw them out the next day. of course they're still where I bagged them, I just can't bring myself to do it. the programmes go back to the beginning of the seventies.

I can't obviously remember any of the matches, other than a few that stand out. It would of been a good idea, if I'd cut out match reports at the time and stuck them inside to jog my memory but I didn't.

what I find ridiculous, is that all those years, that I've carried them around with me, through various moves and threats by irate partners to set them alight, after some heated arguments, is that I've rarely looked at them. I doubt that I'd reach double figures and yet despite lack of cupboard space, I've clung onto them for dear life, even prefering to throw out the mother in law ( perhaps no surprise there ) rather than relinquishing them, maybe I have ocd?

I imagine that a lot of you are like me but I would be interested to know, if their are any fans, who aren't sentimental at all and are quite happy to throw programmes and the like away, after they've been read or used?

Comments

• Options
    I'm like you. Got two thousand programmes in the loft and umpteen videos including the old Finches Sports one's from Selhurst. I havn't looked at them for ages. I keep them thinking I'll re-read them again when I'm old and retired and stuck in a home but that won't happen. I'll be giving them away sometime soon although I'll keep a special few. I stopped buying programmes about three seasons ago. I thought it wouldn't last long but it's amazing how I don't miss reading them at all. To think I used to take a zip up folder to put it in at the match to keep them pristine and now I don't even bother.
  • Options
    I keep all mine. But once they go in the loft, that's it they never get seen again. Wish I had the space to keep then downstairs.

I wouldn't chuck them out if I were you. If you don't want them stick them on ebay, its amazing the prices some stuff goes for.
  • Options
    I had boxes of them dating back over the past 20 years, always bought one every game. Due to the break up of my marriage a couple of years ago i had to radically downsize my possesions to fit into my room i was lodging in. So, the big decision was made to get rid of them. I kept those that were especially sentimental to me and with a heavy heart gave the rest to a fellow fan.

Although sentiment sometimes makes me regret this, I know deep down I would never have read them again. I do still buy them when i attend matches (doing a little bit towards the clubs finance) but throw them out a couple of weeks later. And just to be a bit sneaky, the other week i had an appointment at my doctors, and as i had 3 recent one's knocking about, i put them in with the pile of magazines in the waiting room. You never know, it might entice just one person to attend a game one day. ;-)
  • Options
    Tango flash - I think you made the best decision in giving them away. If you could sell them all individually you would probably make a small packet but there isn't the demand and most of us who might be interested have exactly the same collection in our lofts. Barring the odd big match programme, they are worth next to nothing and even the big ones don't really add up. If someone had given me the last 30-40 years worth of programmes when I was a lad it would meant everything. I guess collections were much rarer in those days, but it's still the thing to do. Invest in a new fan Martin!
  • Options
    When moving out of my parents house I dreaded the day of having to sort through all my programmes and deciding whether to throw them away. In the end I just ended up keeping programmes of significant or great games. I've gone back to look through them a couple of times - you're much more likely to read the playoff final programmes than the one from a 0-0 against Bury.
  • Options
    Clearing my late Mums hse out at the moment, its difficult enough without opening up my old bedroom cupboard,thats where i have kept some 500+ programmes.Id never get the clearing finished if i start looking at those. No idea what i will do with them.I guess i will take them from mums and put them in my loft.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]And just to be a bit sneaky, the other week i had an appointment at my doctors, and as i had 3 recent one's knocking about, i put them in with the pile of magazines in the waiting room. You never know, it might entice just one person to attend a game one day. ;-)

I like this, I like it a lot!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]And just to be a bit sneaky, the other week i had an appointment at my doctors, and as i had 3 recent one's knocking about, i put them in with the pile of magazines in the waiting room. You never know, it might entice just one person to attend a game one day. ;-)

I like this, I like it a lot!

Absolutely brilliant...........!! I have boxes with my Company Logo and details printed on it. If i send things to be plated i always only half fill the boxes knowing they will pack them tight for return leaving them my empty boxes to send to other Companys.....
  • Options
    Interesting that people keep the ones for significant matches. Wouldn't it be better to keep the ones immediately after the significant matches? They are the ones that will contain match reports and photos of the big day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]the other week i had an appointment at my doctors, and as i had 3 recent one's knocking about, i put them in with the pile of magazines in the waiting room. You never know, it might entice just one person to attend a game one day. ;-)

i think that's brilliant tango, i must try it. can you imagine the dilemma in doctors surgeries around the country, when a run of mysterious illnesses all relating to patients being compelled to attend charlton athletic matches, fantastic lol.
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]Invest in a new fan Martin!

damn it man, you've blown my cover!%-{>
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My loft has several boxes and carrier bags full of programmes, many of them are 60s and 70s and some go back to the 1930s...passed on by friends of friends. Haven't looked at them in ages and loathe to dispose of them. Wonder what the older ones are worth if I decided to sell?
  • Options
    dont bother with programmes, but have kept every away ticket (about 30) that i've ever got from travelling with charlton
  • Options
    got boxes dating back to early 70s in loft - worth nowt as I used to mark the team changes on the back - before the days of squad numbers - can't quite bring myself to chuck them out yet - have also got a large collection of fanzines as well - must have all the old Voice of the Valleys and others such as Lennine Lawrence and Goodbye Horse - don't suppose these are worth anything on eBay?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]about a month ago I bagged up 3 black.............

When I read this opening gambit I thought this thread was gonna go in an entirely different direction that the title of the thread suggests ie "my first day as a p0rn set fluffer" or something!