Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4 years today

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
We beat west ham 4-0 in the prem.wow time goes quick

Comments

• Options
    blimey, it feels a lot longer than that.

Those were the days before the organised post-match threads, to anyone seeking to reminisce have a scan through pages 798-801

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/?page=801
  • Options
    Ibet RM felt pretty chuffed with himself. Little did he know what was to follow.
  • Options
    Game of the day on football first as well that night.

One of my favourite home games
  • Options
    I was a guest of the match sponsor for that game. Was in the tunnel with the players prior to the match, you could cut the tension with a knife.
  • Options
    Thought JFH had his best game for us, his tackle then ball through to Bent was class. Also unlucky not to score his curling effort.
  • Options
    Alex Song was class that day, who says loan signings dont try!!
  • Options
    I predicted the result at a City Addicks meeting, the one when Robbo didn't show. I bought Champagne for those present to ease the pain.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I predicted the result at a City Addicks meeting, the one when Robbo didn't show. I bought Champagne for those present to ease the pain.........
    It's true you know...
  • Options
    Something happened that day that was less likely the winning the lottery.

Jerome Thomas, Darren Ambrose AND Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink all having good games.
  • Options
    last time i was pacing the flat at 8 in the morning on matchday. was so pumped up i couldn't sleep.

and i was still going strong celebrating 24 hours later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How we didn't build on that result is beyond me. I can't remember if that came before or after the Fulham home game. That really killed us. The throw-on to us that went to a Free Kick to them. Still haunts me. Then there was Operation Ewood...... Thanks Ben! (Thatcher)
  • Options
    After fulham home game. Think the fulham game was pardoo's first in charge
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]How we didn't build on that result is beyond me. I can't remember if that came before or after the Fulham home game. That really killed us. The throw-on to us that went to a Free Kick to them. Still haunts me. Then there was Operation Ewood...... Thanks Ben! (Thatcher)

That wasn't really Ben Thatcher's fault. Yes he was sent off, but Carson had a shocker that day (his only one of the season).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]How we didn't build on that result is beyond me. I can't remember if that came before or after the Fulham home game. That really killed us. The throw-on to us that went to a Free Kick to them. Still haunts me. Then there was Operation Ewood...... Thanks Ben! (Thatcher)

That was after I think. And I feel the same. The ball bounced off a black arm in a white shirt and went for a throw in. The linesman thought it came off the white arm of a player in a red shirt. We dropped two points that could have made a huge, huge difference. I am as angry about that now as the day it happened. Maybe, just maybe, if I knew for a fact that the lino felt dreadful about his utterly appalling decision, I'd feel better.

And wasn't it after the 4-0 drubbing that Curbs and co. decided 'Sod it, Tevez might as well start playing now, we've got nothing to lose" ?
  • Options
    I had flown out to Thailand on the Thursday evening for some island hopping after redundancy from the bank.
    Watched it live in The Islander on Ko Samui, spending a fortune on phoning my mates in North Upper so that I could hear the singing and take in the atmosphere.

really thought we were staying up after that.
    Even more so when Spurs beat West Ham 4-3 at Upton park a week later with 2 late late goals.
    Watched that one in Phuket.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One of all the time great games at The Valley, Tevez when he chased are left back (Ben Thatcher) maybe the whole pitch after he gave it away.
    Didnt realise someone of his quality was doing with that shit
    Was it M.Bent came off earlier or Jimmy ?
    We went on to get 10points out of the 4 games watford, newcastle and wigan.
    There were games were we had chances to get more points Man city away comes to mind
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]

That was after I think. And I feel the same. The ball bounced off a black arm in a white shirt and went for a throw in. The linesman thought it came off the white arm of a player in a red shirt. We dropped two points that could have made a huge, huge difference. I am as angry about that now as the day it happened. Maybe, just maybe, if I knew for a fact that the lino felt dreadful about his utterly appalling decision, I'd feel better.

And wasn't it after the 4-0 drubbing that Curbs and co. decided 'Sod it, Tevez might as well start playing now, we've got nothing to lose" ?

Fair enough, the lino got the decision wrong....but we still should have defended the cross much better...
  • Options
    Lisbie's last minute miss at Vicarage Road...... Doh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Lisbie's last minute miss at Vicarage Road...... Doh!

Tell me about it, 2-0 down, put a tenner on us at half time @ 33/1 to win the game. Not only he miss it once he had another chance and put it wide.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Lisbie's last minute miss at Vicarage Road...... Doh!

Tell me about it, 2-0 down, put a tenner on us at half time @ 33/1 to win the game. Not only he miss it once he had another chance and put it wide.

Wasn't that the last time that Lisbie ever played for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Lisbie's last minute miss at Vicarage Road...... Doh![/quote]

Tell me about it, 2-0 down, put a tenner on us at half time @ 33/1 to win the game. Not only he miss it once he had another chance and put it wide.[/quote]

I was in the Watford end and saw the gap open up for where to put the shot and as soon as he struck the ball I could see it was going wide.

Real sunday morning finish.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JiMMy 85[/cite]

Watching it on TV you could see that he was actually quite chuffed with himself as he walked off the pitch, his pudgy little face with a shit eating grin on it still haunts me to this day.

My mate Del was sitting right behind the indident, it was as clear there as it was everywhere else that it was our free kick. The bloke, for whatever reason, cheated.