Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Tales

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Many years ago a case of déjà vu took place to a certain Charlton fan who must remain nameless. As you read the story you will understand why.
For those of you who have seen football at Nottingham before, you will realise that the only way to travel to this city, is by train. For 2 simple reasons: the train-journey is quick and the pubs in Nottingham are excellent.
As being a train-traveller with Charlton for many years and enjoying trips run by Paul, Andy, Colin, Ian and the present train-travel-organiser, Syd Cheesewright, I give you a tale from when Andy ran the trains.
April 1994, Andy decided that the train would arrive in Nottingham by about opening time. Good for us! Much ale could be drunk. And Andy happened to know a good pub or two. The group consisted of about 40 persons but unevitably we split up in smaller groups. Visiting many watering holes. This was always the situation, a good day out with friends shared by many pints of fine ale, a meal thrown in oh, and almost forgot, plus a game of football. After spending about 3 hours in a few of the finer pubs by the side of the canal, decided to set off for Notts County's footballground. This was just after the stadium had a new away stand erected behind the goal. Don't remember a lot about the football but remember being 1-3 down, with about 15 minutes to go. For some of us dy-hard fans 90 minutes was 90 minutes football. Unfortunately for 1 poor guy the drink had got the better of him. And he decided to head off back to the local railway-station for another pint. Leaving us hardy souls in the football-stadium. Guess what: Charlton scored two late goals. In the final 7 minutes of the game. Final score 3-3. As I said before: 90 minutes of football is 90 minutes of football. You don't know what you are going to miss. We eventually caught up with the poor guy who had left early. Sitting on the Londonbound train fast asleep. Indeed it had been 1 beer too many for him that day. We couldn't decide who should wake him up and break the good news to him. To say it came as a shock to him would be stating the obvious. But he did tell us there and then that he would never leave a game early again.
Roll the date forward to September 1994 and guess what, with 15 minutes of game left, we were trailing 1-3. Guess what: the same guy decided to leave the stadium once again, before the 90 minutes were up. Do I have to tell you the rest of the story? We drew 3-3 and this poor fellow has never lived it down since. Not once but twice! Missing a 3-3 thriller at the County ground. Certain train-travellers will know who I am talking about. Please do not give his name out, but just wondering..... does he still travel?

Comments

• Options
    stiring finish that day, and those there really got behind the team, even at 1-3 if memory serves; The one occasion i always remember for fans changing the game. That's how it felt anyway. Nelson double i think
  • Options
    I wasn't there but didn't Micky Bennett score one
  • Options
    Went to one of them; not sure which. Nelson did get a brace and maybe Kim Grant?
  • Options
    smashed my glasses for the equaliser at one of them, our coach never turned up for the other one so a group of us went to watch Fulham v Orient in the 4th division.