Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The World's Oldest Football Club

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
Of the twelve founder members of The Football League, and in the current football league,Notts County are the oldest club.

However the oldest club is Sheffield FC

The world's oldest football club

I just find this fascinating. How on earth did they let both Wednesday and United steal a march on them?

Has anyone ever seen a match involving this club?

How odd that a non-league club can attrack a crowd of nearly 20,000, playing Inter Milan in a match attended by Pélé.

Surely as a rich arab megabucks, ego-centred nutjob, this would be the club to buy.

Comments

• Options
    My sister and her husband live in Sheffield. As soon as their kids are old enough to take to the football, they plan on going to Sheffield FC. The club doesn't play in Sheffield any more - they're now based in Dronfield in Derbyshire.

They're hiring a new manager if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    I've always wondered about the oldest club question. Who did they play if they were the first club?
  • Options
    Not sure.

As far as I know, in the early days, "Sheffield" played "London" in two-legged ties every year (one under London rules, the other unde Sheffield rules). Maybe Sheffield FC is a continuation of that Sheffield team.

As for the "London" team, I *think* the main driving force behind football in the early days in London (apart from the public schools) was what is now Blackheath RFC. That's not fact, but when I skim-read the History of the FA, they seemed to be the only London club involved in the codifying of the rules of football.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited February 2011
    Also, "oldest" is not the same thing as "first".

eg "The oldest man in the world"
  • Options
    John Pearson was the manager of Sheffield FC.

"Blackheath had a leading role in the formation of both the Football Association and the Rugby Union.

Blackheath decided to pioneer its own code of rules during a period when almost every variation of rules were followed. Printed in 1862, these included the famous Rule 10 which said that, "Though it is lawful to hold any player in a scrimmage, this does not include attempts to throttle or strangle, which are totally opposed to the principles of the game".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I've always wondered about the oldest club question. Who did they play if they were the first club?
    The second club.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I've always wondered about the oldest club question. Who did they play if they were the first club?
    The second club.

Presumably the first football song was "Can we play you every week?".

The same conundrum applies, of course, to the telephone. Although there is dispute as to exactly who invented the telephone, presumably there must have been two telephones right from the outset.

Picture the scene:

*Ring, ring. Ring, ring*

"Hello. Oh, it's you again, Bell.

Yes, yes, I'm fine.

Where are you?"

Or alternatively ....

"Hello, Directory Enquiries? I need the number of a Mr A G Bell.

What's that you say?

One.

OK, thank you."
  • Options
    The oldest club the football world recognises in terms of being in the league at the beginning are of course Notts County (recently rebranded by Sky as simply-Notts). Sheffield may have started it off but they were left asleep in the bar by the other clubs and sit alongside names like The Royal Engineers, Blackburn Olympic and Old Etonians as names from the FA Cup circa 1892.
  • Options
    Got a Sheffield FC pennant in the bar, courtesy of long time Addick Pete Wray, who is a member at Sheffield FC.
  • Options
    I think they played Cray Wanderers in a special friendly this year for Cray Wanderers 150th year???

I also believe they are the oldest teams in existence hence why they played each other?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    The second club.

Presumably the first football song was "Can we play you every week?".
    ."

Surely the first song was ' we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen'
  • Options
    Forget Sheffield Club (bitter rivals lol), I used to be a member of the second oldest club, nothing interesting there you might think, however the second oldest club actually have the 'World's oldest ground'. Hallam F.C play at 'Sandygate' and are the only other club i have ever watched instead of my beloved Charlton and genuinely cheered. it's a great little club and if anyone gets a chance, go have a visit. it's only about 2-3 miles from Hillsborough, at Sandygate, Sandygate Road, Crosspool, oh and a reasonable pub (the plough) 10 metres from the ground.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandygate_Road
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GRAY9[/cite]I think they played Cray Wanderers in a special friendly this year for Cray Wanderers 150th year???

I also believe they are the oldest teams in existence hence why they played each other?

Yes - my son used to play for Cray Wanderers and they were proud of the fact that they were the second oldest football club...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandygate_Road

Is Hallam FC still in existence - if so they are by far the oldest - I make it that they are 206 years old(!!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Prince-e-Paul[/cite]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandygate_Road

Is Hallam FC still in existence - if so they are by far the oldest - I make it that they are 206 years old(!!)

No the FC only been there since 1860
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    football was played long before 1860 or when the public school boys founded the FA in 1863. What they did was codify one set of rules.

While there were teams before them the Like of Sheffield and Cray Wanderers where some of the first Clubs

Worth a read if you are interested in Football history from before 1860

http://footysphere.tumblr.com/post/929371317/football-first-hundred-years-harvey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: GRAY9[/cite]I think they played Cray Wanderers in a special friendly this year for Cray Wanderers 150th year???

Yes - my son used to play for Cray Wanderers and they were proud of the fact that they were the second oldest football club...

its painted in big bold black letters along the old stand at their original ground in Oxford Road, Sidcup. Pitch is like a cow field.
  • Options
    Blimey, I hope that's a good book Henry. At £28.49 for a paperback and £95 for a hardback, they ain't exactly giving it away.
  • Options
    Its called a review copy. : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]Also, "oldest" is not the same thing as "first".

eg "The oldest man in the world"

Exactly. I've just been reading (online) a bit of the book that Henry suggested. Sheffield FC were formed on 24th October 1857 but there were clubs playing before this.
  • Options

Forget Sheffield Club (bitter rivals lol), I used to be a member of the second oldest club, nothing interesting there you might think, however the second oldest club actually have the 'World's oldest ground'. Hallam F.C play at 'Sandygate' and are the only other club i have ever watched instead of my beloved Charlton and genuinely cheered. it's a great little club and if anyone gets a chance, go have a visit. it's only about 2-3 miles from Hillsborough, at Sandygate, Sandygate Road, Crosspool, oh and a reasonable pub (the plough) 10 metres from the ground.

In the news today, as The Plough (pub opposite the ground main entrance) has been saved from becoming a Sainsbury's mini-market. The pub is actually closed, but the local campaign including Counsellor have successfully stood up to planners. Of note the pub has a Asset of Community Value - ACV claim so it has been saved. No news on what it will become next.
  • Options

Of the twelve founder members of The Football League, and in the current football league,Notts County are the oldest club.

However the oldest club is Sheffield FC

The world's oldest football club

I just find this fascinating. How on earth did they let both Wednesday and United steal a march on them?

Has anyone ever seen a match involving this club?

How odd that a non-league club can attrack a crowd of nearly 20,000, playing Inter Milan in a match attended by Pélé.

Surely as a rich arab megabucks, ego-centred nutjob, this would be the club to buy.

I went there in about 2007.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Dulwich Hamlet who are just down the road from us, and also older then us used to attract crowds of 20,000 to their ground Champion Hill in the 30s and 40s.

They even had a full England international in their ranks at one point, Edgar Kail. Imagine that, a non-league team with a player in the England team.
  • Options
    A few years back there was a tournament held for the oldest clubs in the country called the Sheffield heritage tournament.
    Cray Wanderers were invite and won it.
    They had no goalkeeper available that weekend and invited a north upper regular to deputise in goal.
    The goalie who hadn't played for a few years saved the penalties that won the tournament.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8305587.Sam_s_the_man_as_Cray_win_the_Heritage_Tournament/
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    CAFCTrev said:

Dulwich Hamlet who are just down the road from us, and also older then us used to attract crowds of 20,000 to their ground Champion Hill in the 30s and 40s.

They even had a full England international in their ranks at one point, Edgar Kail. Imagine that, a non-league team with a player in the England team.

EDGAR KAIL IN MY HEART KEEP ME DULWICH - EDGAR KAIL IN MY HEART I PR-

oh, this is charltonlife

>_>

<_<
  • Options
    oldbloke said:

A few years back there was a tournament held for the oldest clubs in the country called the Sheffield heritage tournament.
    Cray Wanderers were invite and won it.
    They had no goalkeeper available that weekend and invited a north upper regular to deputise in goal.
    The goalie who hadn't played for a few years saved the penalties that won the tournament.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8305587.Sam_s_the_man_as_Cray_win_the_Heritage_Tournament/

They should see if Man City want to buy him, they're in desperate need of a keeper.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

EDGAR KAIL IN MY HEART KEEP ME DULWICH - EDGAR KAIL IN MY HEART I PR-

oh, this is charltonlife

>_>

<_<</p>
    Im particularly fond of the "no one knows us, we dont care" chant!