Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooneys elbow yesterday.

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2011
    What a truly ridiculous rule that is. Who on earth do we let run football in our country. How is this decision, on its own merits, not breaking the FA's own rule of bringing the game into disrepute? Flabbergasted. It's about time we all did something about the old boys club that we let make a mockery of our own game.
  • Options
    To summarise this thread, we have International players behaving like yobs on the pitch, Top Flight Managers who should be eating out of troughs, Referees and Assistants who should miss out Specsavers and go directly to The Tower of London, and people at the FA who are too busy looking after themselves to worry about the crap being heaped upon the supporters who pay them. As Bruce would say....good game, good game ! Not.
  • Options
    As someone else said, it would have opened a can of worms if they had a banned him after the game (basically it would set a precedent where there would be calls for bans for all sorts of tackles and incidents). This in my opinion should only happen in very certain circumstances (i.e. in ben thatchers case). You have got to be fair to the ref: he saw the incident in real time and only had a split second to decide. If he was not 100% sure how bad the incident was (even though he judged it to be a free kick) then he cant send the man off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]As someone else said, it would have opened a can of worms if they had a banned him after the game (basically it would set a precedent where there would be calls for bans for all sorts of tackles and incidents). This in my opinion should only happen in very certain circumstances (i.e. in ben thatchers case). You have got to be fair to the ref: he saw the incident in real time and only had a split second to decide. If he was not 100% sure how bad the incident was (even though he judged it to be a free kick) then he cant send the man off.

I can your point but there must be some mechanism that could be put in place to stop this happeneing in all but the most serious case. Everybody, but everybody, knows 100% that what Rooney did on Saturday was outside the laws of the game (possible the land!) yet because an inept ref gave a free kick rather than deal with it properly, he's got away with it. Technology is such now that these incidents can be looked at in hindsight and the right decison almost guaranteed.

It would be nice to see a club/Capello take a stance on this but we all know that ain't gonna happen too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]A few years back a Grimsby player elbowed the elbow king himself, Shearer, and was crucified in the press.

Why should the fat non-national anthem singing alleged granny shagger be any different?

LEN!!!!! I've told you before about the missuse of the word ALLEGED!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]As someone else said, it would have opened a can of worms if they had a banned him after the game (basically it would set a precedent where there would be calls for bans for all sorts of tackles and incidents). This in my opinion should only happen in very certain circumstances (i.e. in ben thatchers case). You have got to be fair to the ref: he saw the incident in real time and only had a split second to decide. If he was not 100% sure how bad the incident was (even though he judged it to be a free kick) then he cant send the man off.

I can your point but there must be some mechanism that could be put in place to stop this happeneing in all but the most serious case. Everybody, but everybody, knows 100% that what Rooney did on Saturday was outside the laws of the game (possible the land!) yet because an inept ref gave a free kick rather than deal with it properly, he's got away with it. Technology is such now that these incidents can be looked at in hindsight and the right decison almost guaranteed.

It would be nice to see a club/Capello take a stance on this but we all know that ain't gonna happen too.

I get where your coming from, but changing it does seriously undermine the referees and therefore in games they are less likely to send people off if they know it could be rectified later (this could have consequences on the outcomes of the games). Unlike some on here, I dont think rooney is being let off due to him being a big name player or because he plays for manchester united, its more because banning him retrospectively would cause so many problems in the future. How many tackles do you see in games that could be red cards but were not? (both bad tackles and those that denying goal scoring oppertunity etc). If Rooney was banned, every club would be wanting other players getting banned retrospectively as well and it would end up being very stupid. Referees are there to officiate and often have to make very tough calls within matters of seconds, which cannot be easy. Let them do theirs jobs and unless there is a serious case for retrospectively banning a player (thatcher and bowyers head stamp) then it should be left...
  • Options
    That's rubbish, there have been loads of retrospective bans. Joey Barton got banned for punch Pedersen in the chest not long ago.

Rooney didn't get banned becaiuse of who he is and who he plays for!
  • Options
    Rooney must be a Charlton fan, as he is an utter tosser. ;)

Seriously though, what an absolute tool he is, always in the ref's face, makes lots of rash challenges, and gets picked for England even though his scoring record is barely into double figures for the past 12 months!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    what amazws me is some media people are defending the granny shagger,

he went to do him end of. all this he saw the player coming towards him and he was fending him off bollox who the hell are these people tring to kid.

and as for clattenburg ban the clown for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]
    Let them do theirs jobs and unless there is a serious case for retrospectively banning a player (thatcher and bowyers head stamp) then it should be left...

I agree wholeheartedly but would argue that what Rooney did yesterday would be a serious case. He deliberately targeted an opponent who was unprepared for what could have have resulted in a very nasty injury. He was a very lucky lad in fact and I believe had the bloke not been so honest and gone down there might have been a different outcome. The ref saw that he wasn't making a big thing out of it and it gave him an easy 'out' to bottle it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you watch the first ten seconds of the clip, the defender actually steps across Rooney, preventing him from closing down a team mate (it's even more evident in normal speed from the wide angled shot). Doesn't make it right, but you could argue that the defender was first to commit an offence here and the free-kick should have gone to Man Utd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzQ9Y-oziY
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]If you watch the first ten seconds of the clip, the defender actually steps across Rooney, preventing him from closing down a team mate (it's even more evident in normal speed from the wide angled shot). Doesn't make it right, but you could argue that the defender was first to commit an offence here and the free-kick should have gone to Man Utd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPzQ9Y-oziY

How that didnt get a ban i dont know... what a muppet
  • Options
    There wasn't a lot in it and the defender played a part in it........there's worse actions with tackles from behind in vuirtually every EPL game, especially if you start talking 'assault' and hitting players that are unprepared.......from players of all nations........get over it and stop being so 'anti'
  • Options
    Stop the anti Rooney? Never. The blokes a bell end.
  • Options
    IMHO something has to be done about this - Rooney def elbowed the guy & needs punishing.

Problem is the FA/Premier League say their hands are tied as the ref (Clatenburg) saw the incident at the time & dealt with it at the time- therefore no futher punishment is allowed under FIFA rules.

Ludicrous situation. The govenening bodies need the balls to say the Clatenburg "have another look at the incident & tell us that you didn't get a good look initially and on reviewing it you now beleive that had you seen the full incident that you would have booked/sent off Rooney" (This action is allowed if the ref says later that he didn';t get a good view of things)
  • Options
    The party line they normally pull out in this situation is that retrospectively correcting decisions would 'undermine' referees. However, in this case it could be argued Clattenburg made the correct call at the time. He wasn't looking directly at the incident, so couldn't have seen Rooney's elbow (although equally I would have to accept a view that he either saw the entire incident or he saw none of it). He was watching the ball which is what they're supposed to do.

Surely a referee cannot be undermined by justice being done. Surely that's what they all want?
  • Options
    I'm not a great Rooney fan but like him as a player. Anybody going to complain about Luiz's assault from behind on Rooney in last night's game? Thought not......
  • Options
    1)Luiz's "assault" wasn't in the same league as an elbow the head which could hospitalise somebody
    2)Luiz's "assualt" has absolutely nothing to do with Rooney getting punished or not for elbowing a player deliberately.

What you're doing is creating what is called a "straw man" and adds absolutely nothing to the debate. You like Rooney as a player, fair enough, but completely side tracking the discussion does you no credit and the rest of us no good.
  • Options
    Sorry Colleen!
  • Options
    If Rooney had been banned for the elbow, he wouldn't have been "assaulted" last night.

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I was to walk past someone in the high street and hit them with my elbow in the same way, then I would get at least a common assult charge. The FA might not be able to deal with it but the Police could bring a prosecution.