Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Promise (Channel 4)

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
I guess I really should have made a thread about this before it started but tonight is the final episode, anyone been watching it? The programme is fantastic, the acting is brilliant, amazing, amazing story, it us wonderfully shot and the way they recreate Israel in 1947 is truely astonishing. It's such an interesting topic as well, although I'm not very fimilar with Israel/Palestine conflict it seems to give a really good account of both sides. Can watch the 4 episodes on 4oD.

The Promise

Comments

• great show
  • Really enjoying it
  • fantastic programme - challenging stuff, brilliantly acted & written - although it is Palestine in '47 that we are really interested in they managed to weave the two stories together really well.
  • Would have preffered a bit more of 1947 for the final epsiode but it was interesting to see how they perceived Gazza, guess they had to focus more on the modern day to finish the story off.
  • I am enjoying this series, but I'm a couple of episodes behind so don't give too much away please!
  • It was a good piece of drama, shedding some light on a piece of immediate post-war history that most people (definitely including myself) know all too little about but which continues to have huge effects on today's international politics.

I had a few problems with the plot. Perhaps the main one was the way that Erin kept rushing off on expeditions in each episode prompted by how far she happened to have got in reading the diary at any particular time. That rather irritated me. In reality she would surely have at least have leafed ahead to see how her grandfather's story panned out rather than rushing all over the place like a headless chicken. A couple of times she says 'I don't know why I am here' whereas if she had scanned the diary she would have known!

Another was the tendency for characters in the two time zones to keep randomly bumping into each other.....but that's fiction I suppose.