Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Website Development - Mentor Required (Urgent)

WSAWSA
edited March 2011 in Not Sports Related
Are there any Website developers out there who can mentor me or offer advice in producing a sample project (Photographer's Website, using some of my European tour photos) by Sunday March 13th. A stunning result would enable me to get the job that I am currently being considered for?

Problems:
I only have about 6 days
I have never coded a website before, although I have been a windows systems developer for years
Project has to include example Contacts List with Add, Edit and Delete functionality - I will be downloading SQL Express
Project has to be created using Notepad and no development packages.

Today I am reading 'Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS' books.

Help!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    bump
  • Options
    I'd try a website development forum and offer some sort of reward. It's a hell of a lot of work and I dont know how many people on here have the time or know how.
  • Options
    So let me get this right...this is part of a job application process?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSA[/cite]Project has to be created using Notepad and no development packages.

Notepad doesn't even give you syntax highlighting. At least use Notepad++.

This is a tall order if you don't have much experience. I'd recommend reading Dan Cederholm books, and Chris Coyier's csstricks.com is very useful (depending on how flash you need it to be).

People might be able to help if you have more specific questions.
  • Options
    Why would any job interview require you code in Notepad? Visual Studio Web Developer Express is completely free, so it can't even be a cost issue. You'll never, ever have to code in notepad in the real world (and that's speaking a someone who's been a software developer since 97 and a web developer since 2000)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]So let me get this right...this is part of a job application process?

Yep and no doubt I am up against other experience developers who have portfolios. All I can do is give it my best shot and hope that, the way that I go about, it says more than the finished product.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSA[/cite]Project has to be created using Notepad and no development packages.

Notepad doesn't even give you syntax highlighting. At least use Notepad++.

This is a tall order if you don't have much experience. I'd recommend reading Dan Cederholm books, and Chris Coyier'scsstricks.comis very useful (depending on how flash you need it to be).

People might be able to help if you have more specific questions.

Thanks for the reference material.
  • Options
    Currently learning HTML/CSS in the hope of applying them in my proposed application.

I would then struggle with SQLExpress installation/setup and ? IIS/Virtual Drive set on my laptop. No hope in timescale.

I think I should just document my approach and include any resulting screen shots.

To change direction, even slightly, in my career is proving virtually impossible and suitable vacancies have been limited. Going back to what I used to do is no longer viable as my skills are out-of-date. Looks like it's back to a minimum wage vocation.

Thanks for your suggestions. If I have any specific questions I might get back to you.
  • Options
    If you install Visual Studio Express then there is absolutely no need for IIS set-up as Visual Studio includes a development webserver, you just click "Run" and it starts the web server and loads you site.

SQL Express is more complicated than necessary to install, but should still be do-able in under and hour.

HTML/CSS are well worth learning. Once you have them down then Javascript and preferably a javascript framework like JQuery.

Unfortunately there is a huge amount of competition of straight website building jobs.To earn a decent amount you need to be able to build web applications, so that means advanced javascript, php/ASP.Net, database programming, etc.

The more skills you can obtain the more employable you will be at the end of the day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]If you install Visual Studio Express then there is absolutely no need for IIS set-up as Visual Studio includes a development webserver, you just click "Run" and it starts the web server and loads you site.

SQL Express is more complicated than necessary to install, but should still be do-able in under and hour.

HTML/CSS are well worth learning. Once you have them down then Javascript and preferably a javascript framework like JQuery.

Unfortunately there is a huge amount of competition of straight website building jobs.To earn a decent amount you need to be able to build web applications, so that means advanced javascript, php/ASP.Net, database programming, etc.

The more skills you can obtain the more employable you will be at the end of the day.

Tried the install last night and it downloaded so much garbage, so I uninstalled it again. Need to get my head round client and server installs. If/when I get that far I will possibly get back to you.

I have got the object oriented multi tier VB.Net development experience, but it is with a Windows front end. The UI was switchable, but the coding was done by a member of my team so that side of it is new to me. Not beyond my ability, I think, but not in a week!

Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the past I've built complete asp.net application with full database access using nothing but the express tools, so they are certainly good enough. In fact, I think for the lone developer the express editions are superior to the full visual studio. Visual studio is a huge beast of a system the uses a huge amount of resources and lots of the features (like team server integration) are of little to no use to the lone developer.

Regarding his development method I'd question the use of VB over C# more than I'd question using straight HTML controls ;)

The server controls have lots of advantages, but I can see many reasons why someone might want to use HTML controls instead. For instance if they are doing a lot of javascript on the client side then it's far easier to work with straight html controls than server controls. However I do quite a bit of client side javascript and still use server controls as it makes the code behind easier, and at the end of the day it's how ASP.NET is designed to work. If you don't use them then you're having to do a lot of the work yourself that ASP.NET would do for you if you let it.
  • Options
    PM me and I'll give you my email address so we can talk further if you want