Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Japanese Earthquake...

2»

Comments

• Options
    possible radiation leak
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]possible radiation leak[/quote]

Did an oil refinery blow up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]possible radiation leak

Did an oil refinery blow up?

A nuclear power plant's cooling system has failed, increasing reactor pressure and temperature, with the water levels falling
  • Options
    Not a time to joke but watching sky news and the first advert at their break was an advert with a surfer and the slogan 'how to catch a wave'

I honestly kid you not.
  • Options
    Was watching report of it on Sky News and they showed a small fisherboat stuck out on sea with waves crashing against it, the poor guys on board didn't stand a chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Seems like there's a race between mankind and nature as to who can fuck this planet up the fastest...

More likely that mother nature is trying to cleanse itself of the virus that is fucking up the planet
  • Options
    It was the first thing i saw when i got up today, put a downer on the whole day.
    Just felt so bad for every one
  • Options
    When I heard this morning that it was 8.9 magnitude I knew immediately that it would cause massive damage. I believe its the 6th highest recorded quake since records were first taken over 100 years ago.

It is absolutely awesome - in the correct meaning of the word. I watched some of the news coverage, the tsunami film is just astonishing. The loss of life will be terrible.
  • Options
    The recent Christchurch earthquake that caused so much damage was 6. something so goodness knows how much devastation this will end up causing.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of North East Japan and beyond.

The awesome power of something like this shows just how insignificant man and his activities really is.
  • Options
    Bing - I think the records date back to the 18th century in terms of the ranking of the magnitude of earthquakes - it's only since about 1900 that educated estimates became accurate, truly horrifying and a momentous day in recent history for all the wrong reasons of course

Len - it has released an estimated 8,000 times more energy than the earthquake that struck Christchurch and 1,000 times more than that in Port au Prince
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Christchurch one was a very shallow one, and coupled with the proximity to Christchurch, that made it more devastating than normal.

This quake is massive. I have always been fascinated in geology and plate tectonics. If I had my time over again, with a GCE in Geology, I wish I had gone to Uni to study these things.

For those who know the Bromley area, in between Farnborough and Leaves Green lies Holwood House. This used to be the UK HQ for Seismograph, who make those quake measuring/recording machines which trace seismic activity with a pen on a scrolling page. One of my school mates Dads was a leading light there. I remember being fascinated by his knowledge of tectonics. Sometimes one can can too carried away by the science and forget the tragic consquences of major earthquakes.
  • Options
    Spent the afternoon on the beach over here in Mexico. From about 3pm (local time) through to 5pm the sea went out about 200 metres and then we had some big waves come through every ten or so minutes for a couple of hours. People were on the beach kind of awe struck. Some peeps were surfing. At one point the wave had gone out so far to strand a big sting ray (prob a metre across) and the locals dragged it in to make a fish taco later I imagine. I sat there on the beach and said a prayer for those caught in this wave that had taken over ten hours to reach us from Japan. Mother nature eh. Humbling.
  • Options
    I lived in Japan for a year teaching English in Fukuoka prefecture. While Fukuoka is on the other side of Japan and not regularly affected by I've found watching the images being broadcast extremely difficult. I just keep thinking of all the people I met when I was out there, wondering how they are.
  • Options
    Looks like there has been some sort of explosion in a nuclear plant, I hope for their sake that no radioactive material has been released, as that could have consequences for years to come.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]Looks like there has been some sort of explosion in a nuclear plant, I hope for their sake that no radioactive material has been released, as that could have consequences for years to come.

Radiation is 20 times normal levels. Not looking good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Robert[/cite]Looks like there has been some sort of explosion in a nuclear plant, I hope for their sake that no radioactive material has been released, as that could have consequences for years to come.

Radiation is 20 times normal levels. Not looking good.

Ooh thats not good...
  • Options
    They have said that if you stood at the entrance gate of the plant then in an hour you would come into contact with the amount of radioactive material that you would expect to during the course of an entire year.

Terrifying.
  • Options
    25 km exclusion zone now in force, very serious indeed
  • Options
    Another explosion at the nuclear plant.

Some of the pictures of the town's completely destroyed are a amazing example of what nature can do. Can't imagine going back home and everything is just gone... these towns probably won't be rebuilt again.
  • Options
    I've just seen a video of an entire down destroyed Proof IMO that there is no god.

The mind can't comprehend this sort of devastation.

I'm speechless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Proof IMO that there is no god.[/quote]

With all the stuff happening on the planet, maybe the loons are right and the end of the world is near.
    In that case, it would be a better option to believe in God, believe there is a reason behind all of this
    and not spend eternity in hell. I suppose God would look at your comment and say "hey, I had to watch
    an innocent man get nailed to a cross, what have you been doing lately?"