Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm not religious, but I seriously believe....

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ishgit[/cite]Mother Nature has had enough.
    We ( the so called sensible "race" on Planet Earth) have been distroying "Our" World for years: Be it the digging into the world and using our "natural resources", destroying Natural resources and digging deeper to find more, or something simple like killing and forcing extinstinction of all kinds of animal life. I genuinely believe that "Our" world has got to the point of "No More". Personally, wouldn't blame "Her".
    Bloody Human Race.

Its how I genuinely feel. Everyone wants to take.
    Don't think she's necessarily had enough.Just doing her thang.Ask the dinosaurs!
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Has anyone mentioned that the Mayan calender ends in 2012?

Yep.I for one am going to make the most of next christmas.
  • Options
    Mother nature will kill us all one day. It's the one thing we can't stop and we don't respect it enough.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This thread is quite astonishing. There is no mother nature. No karma or hippy shit to quote Henry. This tragic disaster is nothing more or less than the natural processes of the earth we all live on. It was worse before we (humans) were here and it will no doubt be worse again. My thoughts are to those in the midst of this tragic event.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]This thread is quite astonishing. There is no mother nature. No karma or hippy shit to quote Henry. This tragic disaster is nothing more or less than the natural processes of the earth we all live on. It was worse before we (humans) were here and it will no doubt be worse again. My thoughts are to those in the midst of this tragic event.
    Amen. Unbelievable that there really are people in the tinfoil hat brigade. The most laughable of all is the idle belief that the Mayans thought the world would end in 2012. Firstly, they couldn't even predict that their own civilisation would end some 800 years before the 'end of the world'. Secondly, the Mayans no more believed that the world would end on the 12 December 2012 than they believed in Chevy Chase. It was simply the end of a cycle on their calendar. Prophecies of doom have been around since mankind first emerged from the grasslands of Africa 3 million years ago (or were created by God on a single day about 3000 years ago, depending on just how credulous you are). They aren't going away any time soon - despite our technological advancement as a species increasing almost exponentially.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Leroy - sums up what I've always thought of the whole Mayan 2012. They didn't do very well at seeing the conquest coming. They also did not give us electricity, penicillin... ad infinitum. Like every other prediction of this ilk it was a forecast made for a speculative date far in the future concerning an issue that has always been the most mystifying and intriguing subject of all - death, the apocalypse and the afterlife, by what is ultimately now regarded as a primitive, though momentous at the time, civilisation.*

* I may look stupid on 22nd December 2012... but I won't... as nobody will know...
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i was abducted by aliens yes.. it was after kevin lisbie got a hatrick i was on my way home from the valley on the train .just me left on the carriage and all of a sudden the lights went out in the strood tunnel and i see the doors open and in come the aliens gassed me and took me to there mother ship were they did all sorts of experements on me including sexual . this i remember well as i was semi consous.after i woke up i found out my time among the aliens and there mother ship was 3 hours but the strange bit is that i was back at dartford station... every now and again i get twitches all over as a reminder of what they did to me.. and ive gone right off of cucumbers
    ps the myans were infact aliens and 21/12/12 is the date they will return to claim there land
    peace out dec
  • Options
    On QI Stephen Fry explained that if the life of Earth was a year, and we are Dec 31st, the dinosaurs were only Dec 14th, and they were millions of years ago. Think how much stuff has gone on over the rest of the billions and trillions of years. We're just a tiny speck on Earth and it doesn't care whether we're here or not.
  • Options
    These things have been happening since the earth began. The only difference is that these days there are more of us around to see and get get caught up with it. If you look back through the geological history of our planet perhaps the scariest thing is that a few Earthquakes really are pretty tame in comparison to what the world and the universe is really capable of throwing at us. Just lookat the size of that creater in Arizona, and that is a small one!

There is no such thing as God. The Earth mother is not out for revenge and anyone that goes on about the apocalypse 2012 needs to be put in a cannon and shot into space.

Terrible though they are, these things just happen. Perhaps if anything good can come out of this it would be a collective reasoning that our existence is so fragile and tenuous that we should value our lives all the more for it.
  • Options
    Totally agree with your last sentiment there, Valley Floyd.
  • Options
    No Mother Earth? Just look down and tell me what you see. It's not a region but she is there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sexist! Why is the earth a woman? What about the Pixies? They are the real problem.

Anyone wanting a rational scientific counter to the mumbo jumbo should try the Denon Haunted World by Carl Segan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sexist! Why is the earth a woman? What about the Pixies? They are the real problem.

Anyone wanting a rational scientific counter to the mumbo jumbo should try the Denon Haunted World by Carl Segan.[/quote

Oi Henry. Lay off the pixies. ]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sexist! Why is the earth a woman? What about the Pixies? They are the real problem.

Anyone wanting a rational scientific counter to the mumbo jumbo should try the Denon Haunted World by Carl Segan.[/quote

Oi Henry. Lay off the pixies. ]

Don't be so PC (Pixie Cover-up).

We all know it's the Pixies but the woolly liberals wouldn't let us hunt them down and kill them anymore and now we are seeing the problems. Coming over here, taking jobs off our native Fairies and Elves, stealing money from wishing wells, getting the tooth fairy pregnant and then not paying any child support. The list goes on.

Open your eyes. All our problems are down to the Pixies.
  • Options
    I blame it all on

Iain Dowie, Alan Pardew, Danny Murphy, Abramovitch (for taking away Smertin, Chelsea and ruining the finances o fthe game along with Murdoch), Marcus Bent, Izale McLeod, Simon Jordan (for being orange and a Mobile salesman as well as the obvious). I also suspect Simon Cowell has some responsibility but he's too slippery by half.
  • Options
    There is no higher being, there is no purpose to life.
  • Options
    Sexist? Tell me where Earths's boy bit is?

The pixies are like lice crawling all over the Mother
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Sexist? Tell me where Earths's boy bit is?

The pixies are like lice crawling all over the Mother

Earth is neither male or female. It's more bi/curious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]There is no higher being, there is no purpose to life.

Their is no higher being, the purpose of your life is what you make it yourself.
  • Options
    Interesting fact - it's not earthquakes that kill, it's buildings.

Just thought I'd throw that in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Interesting fact - it's not earthquakes that kill, it's buildings.

Not so. Actually some very good engineering and planning in the way buildings have been constructed has saved a lot of lives. The sort of thing that people who say "it's elf and safety gone made" don't understand.

An earthquake can still kill without buildings as it can cause floods, landslides, etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Interesting fact - it's not earthquakes that kill, it's buildings.

Not so. Actually some very good engineering and planning in the way buildings have been constructed has saved a lot of lives. The sort of thing that people who say "it's elf and safety gone made" don't understand.

An earthquake can still kill without buildings as it can cause floods, landslides, etc

Damn that Discovery channel! I'm sure they told me that a lot less people die if there are no buildings. I'm not suggesting that modern buildings are badly designed, just that the presence of buildings is not helpful in an earthquake.
  • Options
    that's because buildings = cities = lots of people = more chance of people dying.

If there are no buildings = countryside/the ocean = fewer people = less chance of people dying.

being in a badly built building during an earthquake is obviously a high risk thing
  • Options
    Sorry Henry, I don't want to get into an argument, especially as it relates to something I vaguely remember, but there are places in the world that are heavily populated where there aren't modern buildings (i.e. where people live in mud huts) - in those places as I understand it earthquakes do not cause the same number of deaths and injuries.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Sorry Henry, I don't want to get into an argument, especially as it relates to something I vaguely remember, but there are places in the world that are heavily populated where there aren't modern buildings (i.e. where people live in mud huts) - in those places as I understand it earthquakes do not cause the same number of deaths and injuries.

Yes and no. mud huts or more likely shanty building are normally one story and lightweight so you don't get falls or building collapses are you would if a tower block or even a suburban semi fell down. Haiti was an example of this. Many of the deaths came after from disease.

Most big cities do have "modern" buildings in their centre. There are no mud hut cities.

What normally happens is that shanty towns are built in the spare land that no one else wants to build on often because it is at the most risk of flooding or landslides when there is an earthquake. Happens a lot in Italy where there is a lot of unregulated ie no Health and Safety building on sides on volcanoes!

So you have lots of poor people in poor housing in the most exposed areas. See Katrina and New Orleans where most of the poor lived below the waterline so the land that was most likely to flood as the government hadn't repaired the levees properly ("elf and safety gome mad building a levee")
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]There is no higher being, there is no purpose to life.

Their is no higher being, the purpose of your life is what you make it yourself.
    I agree. I meant in the grand scheme of things there's no reason for us to be here other than self enjoyment. It's purely a coincidence that this planet has the right substances and climate for carbon based life form. Just going by the size of the universe there must be similar species to us or Nitrogen/Hydrogen based life forms on colder planets, all present due to evolution and luck.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What normally happens is that shanty towns are built in the spare land that no one else wants to build on often because it is at the most risk of flooding or landslides when there is an earthquake.

Exactly right - a lot of these 'spontaneous' settlements are constructed on low-lying coastal areas, reclaimed land, flood plains, loose sand-based soils or a combination of those. One of the most dangerous processes is that of liquefaction whereby an earthquake basically causes these sandy, watery soils to resemble waves and turn to jelly. You can only imagine the impact on the overlying buildings.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Pn the grand scheme of things there's no reason for us to be here other than self enjoyment.

you should get a girlfriend then ; - )

Darwin argued that our purpose is to recreate and so prolong the species.

Personally I go with this

Enjoy yourself
  • Options
    I thought the world was going to end in 1999. Did I miss it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I thought the world was going to end in 1999. Did I miss it?
    Yep - it's like Lost now. This is the sideways universe.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Interesting fact - it's not earthquakes that kill, it's buildings.

Just thought I'd throw that in.[/quote]

What about landslides and tsunamis?