Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Comic Relief

I know everybody knows about and probably doesn't want to be reminded of all the millions of people around the world who are dying of starvation and disease and living in abject poverty with no hope or future but watching this tonight for the first time in years has reminded me what a shitty warped world we live in where bankers pay themselves millions and governments piss billions on weapons and yet a child dies needlessly about every 20 seconds for want of a couple quid if that. Angry and a bit ashamed.

Comments

• Options
    Yep. Donate.
  • Options
    its a f***ed up world for sure. None of us truely appreciate how lucky we are. I think we have grown so accustomed to living in such a self centred world, virtually every one of us has completely lost the bigger picture

Saying that, a mate in the pub did say tonght, if you lived in a mudhut and had to walk 8 miles a day to the well, wouldn't you just build a mudhut next to the well ?
  • Options
    aye. text 'yes' to 70010. only takes a couple of seconds and you've make a big difference.
  • Options
    Becoming a dad recently has certainly opened my eyes to the world, how humanity can be so selfish and cruel, which our society has adopted as the accepted (preferred) norm.
    Even if you don't pledge, please help make a difference to this rock we call home!
  • Options
    WOW £75M +
    Thats the most ever apparently and during our worst economic times, well done to everyone!
  • Options
    The african feature and programs with Lenny Henry, Samantha Janus, Angela Rippon and disc jockey were heart rending. Imagine the amount raised last night could have helped so many or bought Torres and Charlton Athletic and change to spare
  • Options
    Loved the bit where they were discussing who should go to Africa , and James Cordon was told he couldnt go because he was too fat, and Rio Ferdinand couldnt because he couldnt cry- and they decided that Paul McCartney would go as he was the sole surviving Beatle- Which Ringo objected to.
  • Options
    the part when jack dee was talking about the starving little boy and how his eyes werent those of a child but of someone who has given up hope. terrible.
  • Options
    There must be a wiser solution to these problems than merely money?

Comic Relief has been going since 1985 so why in that 26 years and along with all the other charities is there still such poverty and despair?

Surely change needs to come at a different level ie politically and in the infrastructure of these countries rather than just channelling money there?

I ask this genuinely and am not being cynical. I have donated to charidee for many years including Comic Relief but surely bigger changes are needed and just using money doesnt seem to be solving anything merely papering over the cracks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]There must be a wiser solution to these problems than merely money?

Comic Relief has been going since 1985 so why in that 26 years and along with all the other charities is there still such poverty and despair?

Surely change needs to come at a different level ie politically and in the infrastructure of these countries rather than just channelling money there?

I ask this genuinely and am not being cynical. I have donated to charidee for many years including Comic Relief but surely bigger changes are needed and just using money doesnt seem to be solving anything merely papering over the cracks.

All sadly only too true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would they sort themselves out if we stopped supporting them? Are we (the West) the problem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]Would they sort themselves out if we stopped supporting them? Are we (the West) the problem?

Exactly the question Ricky Gervais posed on his comic relief podcast. IMO a valid one to.

Can't abide the program. The worst kind of emotional blackmail.
  • Options
    I think comic relief is for the ungrateful young unerclass youngsters schools are churning out at the moment, I have a similar theroy about sending evey school child in Britain to Ypres

It is a chance to see how lucky we are in this country

And yes, if the governments were not so corrupt in these countries we would not have to do things like this
  • Options
    Saga lout, maybe that could apply to Charlton too?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedMist[/cite]Saga lout, maybe that could apply to Charlton too?

We'll probably find out next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]There must be a wiser solution to these problems than merely money?

totally agree, 20 years on and we see the same films every year just with different celebs.....maybe we could send them some contraception to start with.
  • Options
    for those of you whose humanity only stretches as far as the borders of the uk you should be at least pacified by the fact that 40% of comic relief aid goes to the uk.

and if you £650 million of aid over the last 20 years (minus whatever goes to the uk) is enough to wipe out poverty in africa then you really are living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    Think youve misunderstood my post les.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Think youve misunderstood my post les.

it wasn't you i was referring to, mate.