Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 18s

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Went to see the Under 18s today at the Training ground, we won 2-1 with the goals scored by Tosan Popo and it looked like Joe Pigott.We were 1-0 up at half time with a well taken finish by Tosan Popo. We then went 2-0 up then Bristol City got a goal back from what looked an offside position. Team lined up as follows:- 4-3-3

Gough
Morris Osborne Ajayi Carter
Cousins Warren Jordan
Azeez Pigott Popo

Subs Goldberg Howard(GK) Poyet Fox Willer

Willer, Goldberg and Poyet came on for Jordan, Azeez and Pigott

Players to stand out today Azeez who had the left back on toast. Osborne and Ajayi who were very solid in the centre of defence. It really is a pleasure to watch the U 18s at the moment, rather than that sack of shite in the first team.

Comments

• Options
    Is Piggot the lad who scored a hat-trick last week?

How good did Cousins look?
  • Options
    Yeah Pigott is a big Centre Forward who holds the ball up well.Cousins was ordinary today played in midfield. In the second half he played on the left of midfield not really his position.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry the second Charlton goal was an own goal. Couldnt see it from where i was standing. Needed an action replay.
  • Options
    Agree with dickplumb, the U18's battled yesterday and showed passion - maybe the first team should watch them. Strikers who can score and create chances, a midfleld that battle, defenders throwing themselves to block shots and our keeper being vocal - shame he was booked for 'over exuberant' protesting about an offside goal near the end! Much rather watch this team anyday!
  • Options
    Does Popo ever not score in a game?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]! Much rather watch this team anyday![/quote]

I agree Paul - wish I'd gone to Sparrows Lane yesterday instead of schlepping up to Dagenham and Redbridge to see that humiliating display by the First Team.
  • Options
    Looks like Conor Gough and Tosan Popo have been told they will be offered pro contacts.

Will be interesting to see which of the other 2nd years will also be staying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Looks like Conor Gough and Tosan Popo have been told they will be offered pro contacts.

Will be interesting to see which of the other 2nd years will also be staying.

Congrats to them.

Who else is on the list of 2nd years Scoham?

Camacho
    Carter
    Hall
    Morris
    Warren

Anyone else?

Cousins is a first year but got a pro deal. Any of the other first years likely to be signed pro or be let go?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Cousins is a first year but got a pro deal. Any of the other first years likely to be signed pro or be let go?

Callum Harriot almost certainly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Who else is on the list of 2nd years Scoham?

Camacho
    Carter
    Hall
    Morris
    Warren

Anyone else?

I think that's all of them.

1st years are rarely let go early, when they are I imagine it's discipline related. The odd one has been let go early and the club never announce it.
  • Options
    @TosanPopo Sweet H! it was just me goughy and fred
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]@TosanPopo Sweet H! it was just me goughy and fred

Freddie Warren I presume.

Hall and Gough both keepers so maybe it was one of the other.

don't know much about the other three.

Good luck to them and hope they make a career out of football elsewhere.
  • Options
    I know Swisdom and others rated Morris quite highly, mainly a right back though and we'll hopefully have Jenkinson and Solly here next season, and Cousins can also play there.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I know Swisdom and others rated Morris quite highly, mainly a right back though and we'll hopefully have Jenkinson and Solly here next season, and Cousins can also play there.

I rated Morris enormously. Utility man - cracking attitude, strong, pacy and did the simple things but did them well. Played right back or centre midfield when I saw him and genuinely shocked if he is leaving as he seemed to have the necessary ability

Another I'm surprised at is Brandon Hall the goalie. Looked better than Gough IMO but I don't see these lads every day in training.
  • Options
    Beat Swansea 2-0 in the penultimate match of the season, just need a point against Crystal Palace at Sparrows on Saturday to win the league.
  • Options
    Umerah with both goals
  • Options

The U18s now need just one more point from their final game on Saturday to seal the regional title. #cafc pic.twitter.com/5LxQPPcBRb

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) April 15, 2015

Great pic
  • Options
    What time is the match on saturday?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

What time is the match on saturday?

11am - easy to watch that and make it to the Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame they couldn't put the game on at the Valley before the 1st team game
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Just back from the game. A well deserved win on a hot day. We were stronger than Swansea all over the pitch and especially upfront where Umerah and Hanlon's strength gave Swansea no end of trouble.In midfield we had a nice mixture of physicality and finesse with Bone Lapslie and Kelly providing lots of quality ball to the front pair. Umerah took his two goals well and was unlucky not to get a third when a thunderous shot came back off the bar.
    Hanlon looked like he had a good shout for a penalty after another surging run ended with him landing on the deck.

There was also a large scuffle in the first half which always adds spice to the occasion.

It finished Charlton 2 Swansea 0

Teams
    Beeney
    Barnes, Yao, Konsa, Bokciu
    Lapslie, Bone, Kelly,
    Umerah, Hanlon, Lookman

Sub Millar for Lookman
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Some photos from @chathmuseum from last year's academy trip to Ypres lead by Clive Harris (SE7toSG3)

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Really interesting reading through the comments in 2011 and seeing the names that have made it... Well done too to the latest batch of players
  • Options
    Lovely afternoon.
    dick covers it well, we started brightly enough, but Swansea came back into it and were unlucky when a lovely shot slammed the bar. we then proceeded to get a goal against the run of play when Umerah fired in under the partly unsighted goalkeepers body.
    The real killer was scoring more or less from kick off in the second half. I believe Hanlon provided the platform for a very strong run and low finish across the keeper inside the far post from Umerah, and as dick said he nearly scored his hat trick when he too slammed the same crossbar Swansea had hit in the first half.
    Good team shape and structure, and good togetherness, all of the players showed up well. After we scored we relied on breaks often supplemented by the very quick and tricky right back Ashley Barnes, Swansea had to work damn hard to get within shooting range, and when they did they were all tame efforts.
    Bone in midfield caught my eye, good awareness and decision making, decent positional sense, some lovely passing, and he pings the ball well. Apparently he isn't 17 until August, 18 months younger than Gomez, but Bone is a big strong looking player, and certainly one to watch, he plays deep lying midfield, protecting the back line.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    seth plum said:

Lovely afternoon.
    dick covers it well, we started brightly enough, but Swansea came back into it and were unlucky when a lovely shot slammed the bar. we then proceeded to get a goal against the run of play when Umerah fired in under the partly unsighted goalkeepers body.
    The real killer was scoring more or less from kick off in the second half. I believe Hanlon provided the platform for a very strong run and low finish across the keeper inside the far post from Umerah, and as dick said he nearly scored his hat trick when he too slammed the same crossbar Swansea had hit in the first half.
    Good team shape and structure, and good togetherness, all of the players showed up well. After we scored we relied on breaks often supplemented by the very quick and tricky right back Ashley Barnes, Swansea had to work damn hard to get within shooting range, and when they did they were all tame efforts.
    Bone in midfield caught my eye, good awareness and decision making, decent positional sense, some lovely passing, and he pings the ball well. Apparently he isn't 17 until August, 18 months younger than Gomez, but Bone is a big strong looking player, and certainly one to watch, he plays deep lying midfield, protecting the back line.

Was it you Seth that was talking to Samuel Bone's Dad, i was the bloke in a rather fetching yellow polo shirt eavesdropping. I think it is Aaron Barnes.

• Options
    I was chatting to Sam Bone's dad during half time.
    He runs a sporting academy in Ashford.