Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My dad has stopped going, and I don't understand.....

I'm just baffled. I've got no problem with fans not coming anymore if money is tight and the thought of "wasting" it on another poor performance can't be justified against bill paying etc. But surely not going just because we are playing crap isn't acceptable?? I've told my dad that, but he literally has the look of a broken man when I mention the C word. So I now sit with an empty seat next to me and I'm wondering if it's an epidemic, but this isnt going to help the team surely?

I need to find a cure for him fast as he's too old to trade in for another dad and besides he's got no teeth and is a bit deaf.

Comments

• Options
    If money isn't the problem, I think there are lots of fans who may have had a second look at life in general. Probably helped by the fact that going is no fun. For my perspective, I am not going on Tuesday to spend time at home with my son. Admitedly, I would have probably gone had we been fighting at the top - but in some ways I am treating our cackness as a blessing that has made me realise watching 11 men running around in shorts isnt one of the most important things in life.
  • Options
    What's your point ? Not sure if your trying to show an analogy or telling the truth, or on a windup? my dad can't come any more , would love him to be able, even if we are crap at the moment.
  • Options
    No wind up MIA, sorry if it read like that. Am genuinely amazed at my dads apathy now, and he has 25 years on me supporting the club.

And I was being a bit cheeky about him regarding his teeth and hearing, as they are both as a result of operations when younger, he still does a 50 hour working week lumping carpet around, and Charlton was/is his passion.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I feel sorry for him, if it's that painful. And for you if you're now sitting alone. But ultimately I don't see any reason at all why it "isn't acceptable". Supporting your team should be fun, if it isn't then you've every right to choose to spend your time/money doing something more fulfilling. It's time the players realised that and made it more fun for the people who pay their over-inflated wages.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    my dad hasnt gone since 1995 doesnt like siting love no seat ground etc
  • Options
    I don't blame your dad at all!
  • Options
    I go but it's becoming harder week on week. It's the hope that next season will be better that keeps me living in hope but I think I have used that as justification for fifty years. COYR
  • Options
    Ive said many times on here and when I was on the FF that people very easily get out of the habit of going to football, that's why its imperitive that we keep their interest, as it can literally take years to get them back. People are now getting to the point where they have had enough, they arent getting entertained and tell me of another industry where people will go week in week out blindly following something that is unpleasant to watch and makes them miserable.....I dont and will not blame people for not bothering to go to the Valley under the current circumstances, you pay your money and take your pick in whatever you do in life.
  • Options
    I've only been to two or three games this year. I can't even give my season ticket away any more. Each time I peer round the door, the same awful pile of rubbish is staring in my face.

I'm going up Tuesday as I have nothing better to do, but have told my Father-in-law that when we concede the third goal, it's 'start the car' time.

I will probably renew my ST but won't promise to go to games. It's depressing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Ive said many times on here and when I was on the FF that people very easily get out of the habit of going to football, that's why its imperitive that we keep their interest, as it can literally take years to get them back. People are now getting to the point where they have had enough, they arent getting entertained and tell me of another industry where people will go week in week out blindly following something that is unpleasant to watch and makes them miserable.....I dont and will not blame people for not bothering to go to the Valley under the current circumstances, you pay your money and take your pick in whatever you do in life.

Well said Tel. I am sure there are some fans that will follow the club whatever!, I tend to think we all have our 'breaking point' and it is not just the financial impact, important as that is, it is the emotional involvement, the investment in time and passion, the endless vortex or misery that resides at the Valley, at present. God I used to look forward to the reserve games!.
    There are some brilliant people at this club,and this club does have a special place in my heart, but at the moment I feel upset and hurt when I think of Charlton.

I think I go out of a misplaced loyalty to an ethos of going there with my father 50 years ago!.

I am going with one of my sons on Tuesday, I hope to see a committed performance.

Charlton are a special club, but it does not seem very special at the moment!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Priorities in life change, and there are lots of reasons currently why supporters of the club might opt to do something else rather than attend matches.
    I think there will be another fall in season tickets next season because this is panning out to be another disappointing campaign, and it appears that we have slid down even further despite new ownership and a new manager.
    There is talk of rebuilding for the future, which sounds reasoned, realistic, and has to be the way forward.
    The problem for the club is that this position sits uncomfortably at odds with what has transpired on the pitch. We were in a play off place, with games in hand which seemed a good launch pad for a push to get us out of this league, aided by a few smart signings and/or a loan or two.
    The prospect now is for another season in this league, when there seemed to be a great opportunity for us to do the core rebuilding as a Championship team, albeit a possibly weak one at first.
    The launch pad to rebuild looks a harder place when you a mid/lower team in League One.
    Football rarely pans out according to the grand plan, and in all the rants, anger and despair, witnessed on here and at matches, we have not been playing as badly as it might appear, but neither have we challenged for promotion in the way that might have been expected given our position in the league, and the impetus of the new guard.
    It is that disappointment I suspect the club are going to struggle with, in keeping the support. Many of us still completely trust the "Charlton" men who are now in charge,the last 2 months have just been a devastating blow to everyone's hopes once again.
    Somehow we need to dust ourselves off, keep the faith and hope that we are going to finally turn that corner.