Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Powell suffer the same fate as Parky. Come Tuesday

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Another defeat on Tuesday - will this be the final straw for Mr Slater & Co. Sorry but I just get that feeling a loss to Southampton could spell the end.
All this talk of re-building, just does not cut it with me to be honest. Football management is a results game, not about risk and hope.

Comments

• Options
    I disagree. We are likely to be beaten by Soton because they are a better team. That is not Powell's fault, so there is no point sacking him if it happens.

Anyway, why would talk of rebuilding not 'cut it' with you? What else do you think is likely to happen? A new board has just taken over a club with poor players. Will they either:

A. Leave the team as it is and see their investment disappear down the toilet, or
    B. Invest in better players and watch their investment grow through promotions, increased gates etc.

Well?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I disagree. We are likely to be beaten by Soton because they are a better team. That is not Powell's fault, so there is no point sacking him if it happens.

Anyway, why would talk of rebuilding not 'cut it' with you? What else do you think is likely to happen? A new board has just taken over a club with poor players. Will they either:

A. Leave the team as it is and see their investment disappear down the toilet, or
    B. Invest in better players and watch their investment grow through promotions, increased gates etc.

Well?

My point is - Will they risk a rebuild with Powell in charge, after recent performances.
  • Options
    When you say suffer the same fate as Parky I take it you're not talking about being told when caretaker he'd be judged on performances but then getting the job anyway when the performances and results were awful. In that case I agree Chrissy should suffer the same fate and be given a chance.

But no i don't agree. Southampton are one of the best teams in the league and were so before Powell took over us. With everything going on at this time they're not a result we should particularly care about, it would just be a bonus.
  • Options
    Shouldn't that be the same fate as Les Reid?

We are in such a dire position I can see him getting the tin tack sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    You have done well E=mc2, you have started a sack Chris Powell thread and received a full five posts without an obligitary,' oh no not another one' comment from the SCP rose tinted glasses brigrade. POWELL OUT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]When you say suffer the same fate as Parky I take it you're not talking about being told when caretaker he'd be judged on performances but then getting the job anyway when the performances and results were awful. In that case I agree Chrissy should suffer the same fate and be given a chance.

But no i don't agree. Southampton are one of the best teams in the league and were so before Powell took over us. With everything going on at this time they're not a result we should particularly care about, it would just be a bonus.

It was a viable decision and financially beneficial to the club, when Parkinson was given the post, who can not be put to blame on Pardews leadership.
    I'm not trying to generate a argument for or against Chris Powell. But in this league whether it's Southampton or Plymouth, losing to lower or higher opposition is equivalent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: E=mc2[/cite]who can not be put to blame on Pardews leadership.

He was Pardews number 2, so certainly can take part of the blame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: E=mc2[/cite]Another defeat on Tuesday - will this be the final straw for Mr Slater & Co. Sorry but I just get that feeling a loss to Southampton could spell the end.
    All this talk of re-building, just does not cut it with me to be honest. Football management is a results game, not about risk and hope.
    it doesn't take Einstein to work that out ;-)
    Actually I have felt for a while that if we carry on losing then this game is SCP's last chance saloon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]You have done well E=mc2, you have started a sack Chris Powell thread and received a full five posts without an obligitary,' oh no not another one' comment from the SCP rose tinted glasses brigrade. POWELL OUT

So, you think we should have dozens of threads all saying the same thing do you?

POWELL IN.
  • Options
    I would be incredulous if CP is even close to being considered for the sack this season. Times are tough and we are currently a joke but sacking yet another manager after such a short time would make us a laughing stock. People need to wake up and get a grip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    .... and stop being so bloody vitriolic and abusive.

Sure, it's valid to question the mans experience and competance, but to call him a "c**t" and such like, like some people have is completely disgusting.

These people know who they are - and we all know that they are the real c**ts".
  • Options
    sacking CP now is not a option in my opinion we are not safe from relegation if we sack him the new manger wont have alot of time to save us
  • Options
    LOL cafcnorth7.......................a new manager wouldn't have much time to save us true but under Chris Powell relegation is exactly where he would be taking us. Fortunately i think (hope) that there are enough duff teams below for us just to avoid it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]LOL cafcnorth7.......................a new manager wouldn't have much time to save us true but under Chris Powell relegation is exactly where he would be taking us. Fortunately i think (hope) that there are enough duff teams below for us just to avoid it

I think you'll find you've just contradicted yourself there. Either we're getting relegated under CP or we're not - which is it?
  • Options
    To suffer the same fate as parks, he would need to be top 6, unbeaten away for 4 months, and competitive.
  • Options
    True dat
  • Options
    What do you mean 'Could Powell suffer the same fate as Parky'...?

It's already happened, all that's missing is the coup de grace...
  • Options
    How many league games did Parky take to get his first win?

We were on a horrible run from Pardew and it lasted a good few months, I fear the same could happen again before we win again
  • Options
    Yes, I think if we lose the next 3 games he will be gone! I think the pressure will be too much for Slater and Jimenez so they will act.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]How many league games did Parky take to get his first win?
    his 11th game in charge (Palace)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Southampton is actually a good game for Powell. It is a game we are pretty certain we will lose and this could remove some of the pressure. We need to do to them what teams like D&R and Walsall have done to us. Certainly don't have a chance with the team that Powell sent out on Saturday but even with injuries- changes could be made to stop Southampton having it their own way - even if it isn't too pretty.