Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Hughes blasts Charlton Athletic's treatment of Fulham keeper

FROM THE FULHAM &HAMMERSMITH CHRONICLE

MARK Hughes has hit out at Charlton Athletic's treatment of Fulham keeper Neil Etheridge.

The Whites boss recalled the Philippines international just a week into a month-long loan at the Valley after two games warming the bench for the League One club.

And Craven Cottage chief Hughes admits Etheridge was probably brought in as a cover rather than to fill then void between the sticks.

He said: "We hoped he was going to get games.

"We were told the likelihood was that he wouldn't be involved at first but would certainly play in the next [game]. It looked really that maybe he was taken just to sit on the bench.

"My view is that I'd rather have him back here training with our group facing shots from Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele than sitting on the bench for Charlton."

Comments

• Options
    Tosser
  • Options
    Well that's one bridge burnt.
  • Options
    typical welsh
  • Options
    hughes wants him in the rowing boat collecting zamora's shots out of the river thames.
  • Options
    I was told that they couldnt believe how crap he actually was when he turned up ...
  • Options
    He's not going to get much practice facing shots from Zamora
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: YourTheLoveOfMyLife[/cite]FROM THE FULHAM &HAMMERSMITH CHRONICLE

"We were told the likelihood was that he wouldn't be involved at first but would certainly play in the next [game]. It looked really that maybe he was taken just to sit on the bench.

"My view is that I'd rather have him back here training with our group facing shots from Bobby Zamora and Moussa Dembele than fetching shots out of trees from Kyle Reid and Jose Semedo."
  • Options
    Its a fair enough point about his development occuring more through facing premier league strikers in training as opposed to ours but if we had said "at first he'll sit on the bench", two games in the same week isn't really enough to warrant him being recalled for that reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Who cares?

Surely if they felt more seriously about him getting games, they should have been expressive about this when the deal was agreed. Rather than just "hoping" he'll get games.
  • Options
    Mark Hughes is a ######!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Hughesy

Sounds like a manager under a lot of pressure and trying to deflect it a bit.

Hope Fulham get relegated - always have been a pissant club. They are punching above their weight at present and I hope they return to where they came. And take that fuzzy haired sheep shagger down with them
  • Options
    When I first saw this I thought - a bad mark here for Powell but when you think about it it isn't. Powell has to put out what he thinks is the best side for Charlton to win and that included Worner in his eyes- It would have been more damaging to drop Worner if he felt he was decent in the proceeding game and would have damaged morale. It should be up to Etheridge to prove his worth, having said that- we were probably desperate and may have led Fulham to believe he would be played just to get the cover.
  • Options
    For goodness sake. Put your toys back in the pram Mr Hughes. I would imagine Etheridge was brought in to “compete” for the no1 spot, not to be handed it on a plate.
  • Options
    That is true, maybe we did bring him in thinking/saying he will probably play but Powell looked at him in training and did not think he was good enough and Worner is a better keeper.

Got to trust their judgement and if Powell and Roberts did not think he would improve the keeping department, then fair enough.
  • Options
    Haha
    what a boy.
  • Options
    I daresay the young 'keeper himself would rather be getting a bit of experience with us than in the Chelsea reject stiffs
  • Options
    Hughes has always been a ####, example watch the Man Utd v Man utd legends game, he had an opportunity to set up King Eric for a goal (hughes had already scored) but went for goal himself very selfishly.
  • Options
    I'm glad things went the way they did. The Ikeme situation last season made me sick and was the last straw in driving a talented goalkeeper out of the club in Darren Randolph.
  • Options
    He came in on the day of MK and travelled to the ground having not met his team mates. Then was on the bench vs Brentford 3 training sessions later.
  • Options
    Never liked Hughes as a player nasty piece of work, remember him getting one of our centre halves sent off, can't rem,ember his name - (no one liked him except Sue savin and he went to Portsmouth).

There was nio need to air this in public and is disrespectful to a manager under pressure, reagrdless that it is our manager. truth be known when they shook on the deal he probably did not like CP's hand shake and sulked about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can't guarantee a loan player will play.
  • Options
    I think everyone has read the journalist's words and transferred them to Hughes. What he said:

He said: "We hoped he was going to get games. is not exactly a "blast". They wanted him to get first team experience, Powell judged that he'd rather use Worner, they recalled him. It was probably perfectly amicalble. In itself I fail to see how that makes Hughes a tosser or proves that he's trying to deflect pressure. Silly reaction to a daft little non story.
  • Options
    What a tool Hughes is!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Hughes has always been a ####, example watch the Man Utd v Man utd legends game, he had an opportunity to set up King Eric for a goal (hughes had already scored) but went for goal himself very selfishly.

Oh WHAT A B*ST*RD!
    Unbelievable.
    Cut his knackers off.
    Unforgiveable.
  • Options
    Sheep shagging numpty
  • Options
    We used to get managers of big club's the sack if they lost to us as there was no logical way of explaining a defeat - we have now become a club where it is an embarrassment not to walk straight into the first team if you are on loan. You can imagine the conversation 'It's not just me gaffer, look at Nathan Ecclestone - He's lost his place to Macormack!! and I can't get ahead of this short hairdresser type fella and fatty will be back soon.
  • Options
    MAKE HIM RIGHT
  • Options
    I can't see where Mark Hughes has Blasted anyone.

He lent us a keeper because he thought he was going to get games. We didn't play the keeper so he called him back.

Where is the story?
  • Options
    How can a keeper with no first team experience be expected to walk straight into the team and take the place of a keeper with first team experience? Oh yeah - he played for the Phillipines....big deal! Powell was right there - loan players have no loyalty to us - they just want a game and are brought in as cover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sygonrima[/cite]I can't see where Mark Hughes has Blasted anyone.

He lent us a keeper because he thought he was going to get games. We didn't play the keeper so he called him back.

Where is the story?

exactly thats the whole point of loan system essentially esp whenloaning from PL clubs.