Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations to Tosan Popo, Freddie Warren and Conor Gough

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
All appear to have secured Pro contracts with the club (source is Twitter) so congratulations to them.

I'm not sure who the second year scholars are who are being released but I believe Connor Morris and Joe Carter are among the unlucky ones. If true thats a real shame about Morris - I really think that could bite us in the arse as I really rated him.

As I say nothing confirmed - just sharing what I saw

Comments

• Options
    No Harriott?
  • Options
    commiseration's, more like!%-{>
  • Options
    Already on the U18s thread but deserves it's own.

Congrats to the young men who are staying and good luck to the others. I hope you make a career out of football elsewhere.

Len, Harriot is a first year. These are 2nd years. Harriot may well get a pro-contract at 17 ala Cousins (according to Brunello who I know watches the young sides a lot)
  • Options
    Tosan Popo is my favourite name!!

Hope he makes the first team for potential song making ability if nothing else!
  • Options
    The two others being released are Stephen Camacho and Brandon Hall. Seems it was probably a choice of 1 of the 2 keepers.
  • Options
    18 seems too early to release a keeper, a lot of their game is experience. A shame for Brandon who got good reviews from those on here, but perhaps the decision is partly financial. I hope he & the others find a niche in football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]18 seems too early to release a keeper, a lot of their game is experience. A shame for Brandon who got good reviews from those on here, but perhaps the decision is partly financial. I hope he & the others find a niche in football.

I suppose it comes down to having the resources to keep a youngster who may or may not make it at a professional level. One young keeper is probably a chance worth taking more than that is not really efficient and it comes down to the judgement of who is more likely to succeed.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Guess there is a hige step up for the players at this stage, out of the 5 players who got pro deals last year, only Jenkinson has got anywhere near the first team squad on a regular basis whilst the others seemed to have struggled to get Loan moves anywhere above the Blue Square South. I am not writing these players off, however we can't really afford to give out pro contracts when the likelihood is that, that player will be a huge gamble. Also there are plenty of players who get deals elsewhere (Pell at Bristol Rovers for example) and maybe Morris and Hall will follow suit. Not necessarily in the league, but they have plenty of time to work their way back.

As for the two keepers, seems a while since a keeper last got a Pro Deal. In the last few years, the likes of Binks, Harry Lee, Christie, Woolie have all been released I think at the end of their two years scholarships. Maybe this means, Gough is the real deal and seen as a possible future Number 1. Would be good to see him get a BSP loan move next season.
  • Options
    Its good to see the young talent being given a chance, wish them the best of luck!
    Hope to see them playing against Championship/PL teams one day! :P
  • Options
    Agree with thenewbie. At the same time as 18 years old seems too young to know if a player will make it or not, some players will evidently just not be good enough.

As Scoham has pointed out before, we've made very few mistakes with our choices of who to let go in the last few years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone at the club told me that Hall is rated by the club, but Gough has the extra potential, which is what it's all about. I've seen both play and I think that the club had 2 good keepers there. A decision had to be made though and I suppose they look to future potential to decide. Hall will find another club without any problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Someone at the club told me that Hall is rated by the club, but Gough has the extra potential, which is what it's all about. I've seen both play and I think that the club had 2 good keepers there. A decision had to be made though and I suppose they look to future potential to decide. Hall will find another club without any problem.

If they are both highly rated why not keep them both on? Their contracts are going to be negligible and they can spur each other on (like Randolph and Elliott did).

FWIW I didn't rate Gough the times I've seen him and whenever he is warming up on the pitch he rarely seems to do anything eye catching
  • Options
    [
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Someone at the club told me that Hall is rated by the club, but Gough has the extra potential, which is what it's all about. I've seen both play and I think that the club had 2 good keepers there. A decision had to be made though and I suppose they look to future potential to decide. Hall will find another club without any problem.

If they are both highly rated why not keep them both on? Their contracts are going to be negligible and they can spur each other on (like Randolph and Elliott did).

FWIW I didn't rate Gough the times I've seen him and whenever he is warming up on the pitch he rarely seems to do anything eye catching

Well, thats your opinion and clearly not the clubs! Maybe we saw different games.
  • Options
    [cite]

Harsh

What can he do eye catching when he is warming up? He shouldn't be overworking himself in a warm up.

Seen a few people judge players from warm ups. I really don't get it. Would you judge a band on their sound check? "one, two, one two, bit more of the bass please"
  • Options
    Agree
  • Options
    McCormack was great in the warm up ................. !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]

FWIW I didn't rate Gough the times I've seen him and whenever he is warming up on the pitch he rarely seems to do anything eye catching[/cite]
    [cite]

Harsh

What can he do eye catching when he is warming up? He shouldn't be overworking himself in a warm up.

Seen a few people judge players from warm ups. I really don't get it. Would you judge a band on their sound check? "one, two, one two, bit more of the bass please"[/cite]

There were times when he was the 3rd keeper and so not expected to play - this is his chance to perform in front of a small crowd and show what he can do. I just didn't feel he grasped that as much as maybe he should. I have seen him in a couple of matches too and wasn't overly impressed either

Admittedly Randolph never inspired confidence with his lethargic warmups
  • Options
    Don't forget it's not just about the straight ability of thepalyer, its about how many we can afford to keep, what positions we might have available in the future for them to come though etc. Doesn't automatically mean those not chosen wont make it int he future.
  • Options
    Mr Wisdom - it concerns me that your repetitive posts are little more than personal and I cannot understand why they should be directed at a 17 year old player who has been offered a contract at our club. He has clearly gone through a selection process and has been judged by by coaches who, I suggest, are more qualified than you and see him more than a 10 minute warm up. Maybe a handstand or two would be more 'eye catching' for you. Get off his case FFS.
  • Options
    Would be useful to hear from someone like "Dickplumb" who watches them regularly as to a) where these players play, b) their strengths (height, speed, ability, power etc) and c) rating out of 10 as to how likely they are to make a break through to the first team next year...

Good luck to all 3 - always prefer to see young, home grown players come through the ranks than us spending money. Also, good luck to those released - keep the faith and work hard and I am sure you will be a success...if not then let me know and we have a space in our weekly 5 a side team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Would be useful to hear from someone like "Dickplumb" who watches them regularly as to a) where these players play, b) their strengths (height, speed, ability, power etc) and c) rating out of 10 as to how likely they are to make a break through to the first team next year...

Good luck to all 3 - always prefer to see young, home grown players come through the ranks than us spending money. Also, good luck to those released - keep the faith and work hard and I am sure you will be a success...if not then let me know and we have a space in our weekly 5 a side team!

Connor Gough is 6 foot 4ish and is very vocal he plays in goal. Good at crosses but sometimes is slow to get down. Has the physicality to make it as a pro. Freddie Warren is a central midfielder who can tackle is also a good passer of the ball and has a good engine bit on the small side but is strong. Tosan Popo is a natural finisher he is not big but he knows where the back of the net is.
  • Options
    Imagine a juicy double of Tuna and Popo upfront.
    The chant possibilities are endless.
    Congratulations to all 3, look forward to sining their names in the near future.
  • Options
    I've said about Popo for a while fingers crossed these boys will be HUGE for the Haddock and Chip lovers!
  • Options
    Sad for Morris as i think he is a good prospect. But we have got a number of right backs with Solly, Francis and Cousins. Looking forward to seeing how Tosan progresses as he is a fox in the box.
  • Options
    The 3 lucky ones ....... what is the length of contract that they have been offered?
  • Options
    Sad to see Joe Carter has been let go. He always impressed me at left back as a solid, honest warrior/workhorse who would die for the cause and he could also power forward and get crosses into the box. He, more than Connor Morris, is the one whose career I will try to follow. But good luck to both of them and to Camacho and Hall. I hope I am the one who is wrong, but I still haven't seen what others see in Popo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]Would be useful to hear from someone like "Dickplumb" who watches them regularly as to a) where these players play, b) their strengths (height, speed, ability, power etc) and c) rating out of 10 as to how likely they are to make a break through to the first team next year...

Connor Gough is 6 foot 4ish and is very vocal he plays in goal. Good at crosses but sometimes is slow to get down. Has the physicality to make it as a pro. Freddie Warren is a central midfielder who can tackle is also a good passer of the ball and has a good engine bit on the small side but is strong. Tosan Popo is a natural finisher he is not big but he knows where the back of the net is.

thanks for that update. Interesting to hear
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Mr Wisdom - it concerns me that your repetitive posts are little more than personal and I cannot understand why they should be directed at a 17 year old player who has been offered a contract at our club. He has clearly gone through a selection process and has been judged by by coaches who, I suggest, are more qualified than you and see him more than a 10 minute warm up. Maybe a handstand or two would be more 'eye catching' for you. Get off his case FFS.

It's nothing personal at all.

Lots of our fans never see the youth teams so I'm offering my personal opinion in the hope that it gives them some insight into our future first teamers

I agree the coaches see the players more often and are better placed to judge - but I'm entitled to my opinion and I stand by it
  • Options
    PS - Who created this thread congratulating Conor, Tosan and Freddie.....