Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1 - 1 Southampton - Post match views

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Chuck em all in here.

No win, but huge improvement

Comments

• Options
    Wasnt at the game but sounded like a huge improvement, with players coming back and a little bit of confidence, dont shout it but I think we may be on the up. Only 5 more points to safety now too:)
  • Options
    Much better performance. Charlton are back, charlton are back! Not getting too excited but relegation fears are fading.

Looked like the Brightonesque passing game had been abandoned, players looked focussed and up for it. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Great to hear of an obvious improvement in performance - hopefully we can get some positive momentum going now. Let's push on and make sure that we get the points we need to ensure safety, then we can all relax....

Some good performances tonight as well by the sound of it. Good stuff. Well done everyone.
  • Options
    Massively positive for me... sounded like a much better performance, players clapped off at half and full time...

Maybe could of nicked it with the goal that never was..

Could be a platform to finish the season strongly in view of a few players coming in over summer and the proper CP reign to begin...
  • Options
    I thought that pretty much to a man they were outstanding in terms of effort .... Much much improved!
  • Options
    Glad to hear parret had a good game, hopefully he can be the midfield maestro we have been missing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bubble[/cite]I thought that pretty much to a man they were outstanding in terms of effort .... Much much improved!

Great to hear!
  • Options
    Still very shaky from set pieces but grew in confidence as the game went on.

No Francis, Docherty, Reid, McCormack, Ansiyah or Benson starting tonight - all Parky signings laid to rest. Solly in at right back, Basson at left back.

Impressed with both full backs. Parrett got better as the game went on and superb flick to Wright Phillips for his goal. Racon was very good out wide - the best I've seen him play in a while.

Robbie needs to come off his line. One excellent save.

Ansiyah did well when he came on as did Eccelstone. Jury's out for me with Nouble.

Dailly and Llera did well in play, but as I said the set piece defending - you just knew we'd concede a goal tonight from a corner or free kick.

Much better though - Saints were better first, we were the better side in the second half. A draw was a fair result.

Hard work, a little bit of finesse and more work on set plays and maybe the end of the season won't be as bad as I was dreading.
  • Options
    Maybe that was our best TEAM performance of the season. Saints were an impressive team and had the better quality but we competed with them all over the pitch. something to build on at last ? No bad performances but my MOTM was big Mig. COYR
  • Options
    Oh and this Southampton team were huge !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    massive improvement tonight, players looked up 4 it although still nervous at times. Parrett looks like a great capture despite only till the end of the season. Llera at the back gives me more confidence that doherty and glad to c he stuck with that tonight. Rode our luck at times but so did they.

Still got a way to be where we want to be but at least this has halted the slide and hopefully given the lads some confidence

Could do without bournemouth away next tho but considering the teams we've lost to recently maybe its a good thing. Roll on Sat!!!!
  • Options
    Well done lads, a great team performance, dissapointed with the lack of shots on target up until 70 minutes, but a 100 times better than off late.
    A committed team performance, Agree about Mig, he was unlucky about his 'goal' .......much, much improved
  • Options
    The 'enemies' seem to have turned into allies.

Bessone was my MOTM, Racon was involved and trying to make things happen, Parrett hugely better than sat. Still gave the ball away a bit and seemed to drift out of position but there is something there for sure.

Solly was good. Big Joe is better than Nouble. As the Wailers sang "no anyinsah, no points"

Semedo seemed to wake up as the game went on and Robbie got over a silly error to do well. No chance with their goal.

Soton are very big and strong and we gave them a game. Yes they let you play as they attack but we did well enough without being fantastic. Saints were rocking after we scored and I thought we might snatch but credit to soton they came back at us.

Just feels good to come back from a game on a high knowing they put a shift in.

LLLBH
  • Options
    thank God for that, we have our Charlton back and have probably arrested the alarming freefall.
  • Options
    Doing the match thread it sounded to me as though there was more of a fight and a competitive spirit amongst the team. Parrett sounded as though he played really well and set-up the goal, lack of mention of Daily meant to me that the rest of the back four were doing their roles and he could concentrate on his, and play well. Bessone also sounded as though he brought some stability to the back and was happy to push forward....Solly must be a better bet than Francis!! Once again LLera appeared to be a giant, both at the back and at set pieces up front....Semedo out of the game firts half but came back strong second....only changes I would make for Saturday would be NE for Waggy and Anyinsah for Nouble.
    However the main thing for me was a desire in the team not to lose and that has to be the foundation of any side.
    Well done lads and thankyou for restoring some of my faith!!
  • Options
    A point at Bournemouth and then one more win and we are safe ... This experience will have been good for Chrissy ... Baptism of fire ... A decent win against anyone and we will have turned the corner ...
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyable game of football. Can't really remember that at home all season even when we have won.

Good shape and commitment.

Got a sense of something before kick off and night games at our wonderful home often produce something a bit special. Lets hope it can be continued.
  • Options
    HOW WE DIDN'T GET A PENALTY WHEN LLERA HIT THE BAR I WILL NEVER KNOW
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    we were robbed tonight cheating south coast scum failed to give the ball back after we put it out for parretts injury no good gobby muggy knuts.

apart from that is was a good gritty performanc.

we need to work more on ball retention and close down the space quicker

on a whole we were a much more solid outfit who when playing football looked quite good

Solly was solid Bessone had a good game Daily didnt seem half as nevery as when doc plays

i thought nouble did alrite BWP was poor apart from the goal

Parrett played well for a youngster and was my Man of the match

Semedo was his normal 8 out of 10 defensively and 4 out 10 in an attacking threat

Llera didnt put a foot wrong and was a close 2nd in man of the match stakes

good to see no one turned against the players for silly mistakes that they will make because they are 3rd tier footballers

Durso is a complete bellend
  • Options
    Better but still far from brilliant.

Yet again a goal let in from a set play. When is someone with an ounce of intelligence going to instruct Elliot that he has to have someone on the both posts? Had there been someone there tonight I'm 99% certain that goal would not have gone in.

IMO we created next to nothing throughout the game, not sure if I can be too pissed off with that given the opposition.

Nouble is not the answer. Anyinsah looked better in the 15mins he got.

Won't be joining the Parret love in I'm affriad. Anonymous in the 1st half, slightly better 2nd and I think he gets an assist.

Racon put a shift in as did Semedo.

Looked better balanced with a left back playing left back.

Still question marks over the management. Felt the subs were left too late again.

A very long time since we won and personally don't think we will be picking up 3 points on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Saints were rocking after we scored and I thought we might snatch but credit to soton they came back at us.
    The last few minutes sounded eventful. End-to-end and two teams trying to take all the points.

Whoever writes the tweets on the official Saints twitter says that they were in line with N'Guessan (the guy who scored our disallowed goal) and they say his run was timed perfectly and the goal should have stood, likewise Adkins says the video footage looks like the lino got it wrong. Will be a bit of a tough pill to take if he was onside but I guess we could see it as Karma for your two close disallowed goals last season at The Valley.

Nice to hear Bradders didn't get many boo's from the away end (going by the radio), he doesn't deserve any at St. Mary's either but no doubt some people will due to him scoring tonight. The lad is a honest pro, never wanted to leave Saints in the first place but sadly like most strikers who leave Saints they come back to bite us.

Looking forward to the return fixture in two weeks time.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Huge improvement.

I've walked away from the Valley too many times over the last couple of years thinking i've seen a drab pre-season friendly. I come away tonight thinking i saw a committed, even football match. And i'm happy with that. I wanted to see some form of reaction and professional pride, and i think that shone through. We didn't win, and probably weren't good enough to win, but things were coming to a head and this could have been very ugly tonight, fortunately it didn't. Key thing about tonight was it was played throughout at a much higher tempo. A proper match.

Will do the marks on the separate thread, but thought:

Elliot - Solid
    Solly - A big improvement. Has a decent touch and good turn of pace going forward, and wasn't isolated defensively
    Llera, Dailly - Both committed and reasonably organised
    Bessone - Like the guy. Looks to play and was relatively comfortable throughout, which is a big plus considering 1st game back.
    Wagstaff - Can't fault his effort, but he's missing that bit extra he had earlier in the season
    Semedo - Standard performance really. Offers nothing offensively, but neverreally does anything noticeably badly
    Parrett - Though much improved in 2nd half and improved as game went on. Lovely bit of vision for the goal
    Racon - Big plus for me. Was one of those i thought was a chief candidate for the 'seeing the season out, poor attitude brigade', but he put a real shift in tonight and looked very at ease on the left
    Nouble - hmmmm, nothing wrong, but not seeing much of a threat there if i'm honest
    Wright Phillips - I really don't know what to make of this fella. If i was a manager, would i sign him ? probably not. But you can't argue he knows where the goal is.
    Eccleston, Anyinsah - Both involved when they come on.

It would have been real hard lines if we got nothing out of tonight, and it really looked like that might be the case. Season is now officially over, but a huge plus for me is that tonight showed there isn't a massive anti-Powell faction amongst the players, which i was starting to fear was the case.

Ps. really don't like Southampton for various reasons, but fair play to their supporters for pulling out 3,000 for a midweek game. Very impressive.
  • Options
    Fcuk me Clem Snide - it was 1000% better than it has been!!!

Stepping stones and all that!
  • Options
    A well deserved point and a better and more committed performance.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).
  • Options
    Good performance on balance but lets not kid ourselves with superlatives and"We've got our charlton back", its good progress after Saturday, but we need to get a result on Saturday and prove this is not a one off where we have got up for a big game. A week ago we would not imagine getting up for a big game so the direction is right.
  • Options
    Much much better performance tonight. Even if we'd lost, at least we put ourselves about a bit. Generally much more graft from the team and with Big Joe up front with BWP we may actually win a game by the end of the season. Really like Solly but needs to work on his crosses. Plenty of positives tonight but they need to follow it up. Would echo what SHG said about Saints, as I too thought they were a team with a lot of big lumps. I know its early but I'd sign Parret for next season too if possible as I think he has a lot of attributes that we've been missing.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Fcuk me Clem Snide - it was 1000% better than it has been!!!

Stepping stones and all that!

What part of better but not brilliant is so difficult to understand?.

Forgive me if I don't wet my knickers over a performance which was just about worthy of a point.

In recent weeks the players have been woeful and for me haven't even put 100% effort in. Tonight they were atleast comitted. Don't know what the stats were, but I can't imagine that we had many shots throughout the 90mins.
  • Options
    Possession
    Charlton - 46% Southampton - 54%

Attempts on target
    Charlton - 4 Southampton - 7

Attempts off target
    Charlton - 4 Southampton - 6

Corners
    Charlton - 1 Southampton - 8

Fouls
    Charlton - 10 Southampton - 13
  • Options
    Oggy - I'm glad I made the effort. Witnessed a vast improvement in terms of effort and team work. Perhaps SCP is the man to take us forward!
  • Options
    Perhaps we have been harsh on the Palace Nigels over the years, perhaps there is a general thickness scattered over the Croydon region judging by this post on the Saints board:

[cite]Posted By: CroydonSaint[/cite]Just back from game. Frustrating game. Should not have lost.