Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

None of Parkinson's pre-season signings started tonight

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Francis - unused sub
McCormack - unused sub
Doherty - Sub, got 5 mins
Ansiyah - Sub, got 15 mins
Reid - unused sub
Benson - Suspended
Abbott - gone already

Doesn't say a lot for his ability to choose players able to get a result against arguably the best side in the dvivision.

Solly - Francis who?!
Besson - excellent, very impressed
Wright Phillips - goal scorer
Parrett - a young man's Rolls Royce compared to McOxo
Nouble - better than Abbott

I think CP's made the first right team selection since his first game in charge.

Onwards and upwards!

Comments

• Options
    Just shows most of Parky's signings have been bad apart from Reid and Ansiyah.
  • Options
    Jackson?
  • Options
    Oh and Jackson too! - to be fair he's scored vital goals this year.

Though one (and a half as Ansiyah's always injured) is not a good ratio out of 8!
  • Options
    Oh and Jackson too! - to be fair he's scored vital goals this year.

Though one (and a half as Ansiyah's always injured) is not a good ratio out of 8!
  • Options
    I thought the anti parkie brigade were saying a week ago that we should stop referring back to Parkinson. talk about wanting to carry on being divisive after a half reasonable result, why not bask in the glory of that.
  • Options
    Dailly started....
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Radzinsky[/cite]Dailly started....

I think he means pre this season
  • Options
    Eey aye eey aye ee eye o, up to 12th we must go.....
  • Options
    Out of the players mentioned personally only Ansiyah would feature in our long term plans, the rest can for me although Benson would be good back up at this level and Reid if he found the form of last season and used as an impact sub.
  • Options
    Says very little at all.

Anyinsah has been a good signing. Reid has clearly lost confidence and we tend to struggle with 2 wingers starting. We know he is capable.

Abbott and Benson we got what we paid for, cheap strikers that are limited but score a few goals. No doubt BWP is on bigger wages than they were/are.

Parrett, Nouble (and Eccleston) are players we probably couldn't afford before the takeover. Was said back in August we couldn't afford what Liverpool wanted for any of their reserves.

Francis a downgrade on Richardson, but that's no surprise when he'll be earning less than Richardson did.

Doherty hasn't impressed but most thought he was a good signing.

McCormack was signed as 4th choice, again on the sort of money he's on, coming in without guaranteeing him a place you're not going to get anything special.

Any signings since the takeover should be better than what we could afford last summer. Parky had to build a cheaper squad that can compete in this league. He did that and hopefully Powell is building on that with he help of a bigger budget. Shouldn't be used as a way to have a dig at Parky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wasn't hugely keen on Parky from day one, but credit where credit is due - his assembly of a squad from virtually nothing over last summer was very impressive. Can't fault him for that in my book.
  • Options
    You for real Superclive
  • Options
    I don't want to knock Parky , but he's in the past now , he's gone , i know some people never accepted him as 'Proper Charlton' from the beginning , some even said they wouldn't go to Charlton whilst he was in charge , i think people came round to liking him after about 2 years, particularly when they realised that on a limited budget he got us into the top 6 this season , and almost got us promoted last season, did i think we'd get promoted this season , maybe / maybe not 50 /50 in my book, was he an inspirational figure that could propel us upwards and onwards , Ala Norwich and Millwall? i don't know , will Chris Powell be any better? i don't know , but i was supportive of parky and wanted him to do well , after i'd met him, and i will try to be supportive of Chris whilst he is the Manager , he needs our support and needs to know we are behind him and the club more than ever , (pleased to hear the fans cheering Chrissy Powells Red and White Army) he has had a rough ride so far , and he's not out of the woods yet , there's a long way to go , but i enjoyed tonight , and want more of the same, bring on Bournemouth, i'm told its one of the top 3 most desirable places in the country to live?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I wasn't hugely keen on Parky from day one, but credit where credit is due - his assembly of a squad from virtually nothing over last summer was very impressive. Can't fault him for that in my book.[/quote]

Here Here

Dont get me wrong love CP and wish him well after meeting him tonight and the litle words he said even more so.

BUT

I cant ever ever understand the knocking off Parky were did he get us last season and where were we when he was axed? enough said
  • Options
    But he did let Arter, Basey, Randolph and Wright go, kids who are showing talent at this level or above and would have given us better continuity.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]But he did let Arter, Basey, Randolph and Wright go, kids who are showing talent at this level or above and would have given us better continuity.[/quote]

To be fair , i don't think we had the budget to keep them , also Parky was under so much pressure to succeed , he didn't have the luxury of being able to blood kids and bring them through , sure Elliott and Wagstaff , but it was too risky brinnging 5 or 6 kids through.
  • Options
    Slagging off Parky again? I wonder where we would be had we added BWP and Ecclestone to a team in 5th managed by him?
    Were we not looking at BWP before CP?
    By the way, I love CP, but will hold onto his knighthood for a year or so before I add the S.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I wasn't hugely keen on Parky from day one, but credit where credit is due - his assembly of a squad from virtually nothing over last summer was very impressive. Can't fault him for that in my book.

Reluctant to post this as I'm sure some will say it's just raking over a pointless argument but as they say I couldn't let it lie.

Right. It's a myth Parkinson worked miracles getting in players with no budget. Last season Charlton had a budget at least as big as the majority of other div 1 clubs and bigger than most. Charlton are or at least were also seen as a big div one club so attractive to many players. It was and still is a buyers market. Hundreds of lower league players are out of contract every season and loads more are surplus to requirements due to clubs being financially pushed. The quantity of players available good enough to play at league one level was not the problem for PP it was making them play decent football something which I believe he never managed.
  • Options
    Could just as easily say that we had five loan players last night so loan players are the way forward.

Parky has gone, as Scoham saId he did OK in the circumstances, but of course Powell has money to spend. Move on.

And before we all get too excited we DREW. What is that? Nine without a win.

Still behind powell but let's not get too down with the downs or too up with the ups (or even home draws)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]But he did let Arter, Basey, Randolph and Wright go, kids who are showing talent at this level or above and would have given us better continuity.

To be fair , i don't think we had the budget to keep them , also Parky was under so much pressure to succeed , he didn't have the luxury of being able to blood kids and bring them through , sure Elliott and Wagstaff , but it was too risky brinnging 5 or 6 kids through.
    I think in Wright's case particularly he dropped one. He didn't think he had the (w)right resources with Racon and ZZ injured and Jonjo being used sparingly and so brought in underwhelming players like Soares and Spring. A lot has been made of Wright's poor attitude, but it seemed to me that if Wright hadn't been relegated to 6th choice behind some rather meh players, in a fully fit squad that his attitude might have been a lot better. With the others I understand where you're coming from. We wouldn't have budget for the two top keepers and Basey had his fitness issues, although he'd done well for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Francis - unused sub
    McCormack - unused sub
    Doherty - Sub, got 5 mins
    Ansiyah - Sub, got 15 mins
    Reid - unused sub
    Benson - Suspended
    Abbott - gone already

Doesn't say a lot for his ability to choose players able to get a result against arguably the best side in the dvivision.

Truly pathetic post. We drew and we are twelfth in the table. The fact that none of Parky's players played proves nothing. How many games have we gone without a win? Talk about manipulating things to suit your own agenda. Unbelievable.

Solly - Francis who?!
    Besson - excellent, very impressed
    Wright Phillips - goal scorer
    Parrett - a young man's Rolls Royce compared to McOxo
    Nouble - better than Abbott

I think CP's made the first right team selection since his first game in charge.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]But he did let Arter, Basey, Randolph and Wright go, kids who are showing talent at this level or above and would have given us better continuity.

Arter - not a regular for Bournemouth, wasn't/isn't better than what we had at the time - Bailey, Shelvey, Semedo and Racon (plus Spring, a recent signing)
    Wright - similar to Arter, not better than what we had at the time.
    Basey - only recently signed for Peterborough, at the moment is average at this level (but should improve with games)
    Randolph - fair enough but he got a better offer from Motherwell than what we could offer.
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    Right. It's a myth Parkinson worked miracles getting in players with no budget. Last season Charlton had a budget at least as big as the majority of other div 1 clubs and bigger than most. Charlton are or at least were also seen as a big div one club so attractive to many players. It was and still is a buyers market. Hundreds of lower league players are out of contract every season and loads more are surplus to requirements due to clubs being financially pushed. The quantity of players available good enough to play at league one level was not the problem for PP it was making them play decent football something which I believe he never managed.
    Last season we played some good football under Parky.

This season his job was simply to win promotion, knowing at any point he could lose his job if the club were taken over. The quality of the football wasn't important, we might have ended up in administration without promotion if there hadn't been a takeover.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Abbott and Benson we got what we paid for, cheap strikers

Benson wasnt that cheap at all though, was he.
  • Options
    Exactly. Benson cost us £250k! More than any signing CP has made!
  • Options
    Not trying to read anything into it, but i did find it quite a noticeable statistic that just 3 months after replacing a manager who was here for over 2 years, just 2 of his signings (Dailly and Llera) started last night.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Abbott and Benson we got what we paid for, cheap strikers

Benson wasnt that cheap at all though, was he.
    He was though. He's not on big wages and aren't we paying the fee over a few years?

Good strikers cost a lot more, even at this level.

Rotherham wanted over £1m for Le Fondre. McLeod cost us about £1m a few years ago. Southampton paid over £1m for Lambert. Norwich £400k for Holt (and probably bigger wages than Benson). I could go on.

The only cheap strikers are generally those on a free, gambles from non-league or at a club that need the money, eg BWP and Barnard at Southampton.

Benson isn't an example of a bad buy from Parky, but proof of what you'll get for that sort of money at this level when it comes to goalscorers.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Exactly. Benson cost us £250k! More than any signing CP has made!
    I bet it's not when you add BWP's fee and wages, Parrett, Bessone, Nouble and the two keepers wages though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Benson isn't an example of a bad buy from Parky, but proof of what you'll get for that sort of money at this level when it comes to goalscorers.

For me he's THE example of a bad buy from Parky.

What stands out for me is the fact when we was chasing him NLA came on the board and said exactly why Benson wouldnt work for us, this just after seeing him play a few times for D&R. NLA was pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Benson isn't an example of a bad buy from Parky, but proof of what you'll get for that sort of money at this level when it comes to goalscorers.

For me he's THE example of a bad buy from Parky.

What stands out for me is the fact when we was chasing him NLA came on the board and said exactly why Benson wouldnt work for us, this just after seeing him play a few times for D&R. NLA was pretty much spot on.
    Benson is what I expected him to be, I agree NLA wasn't wrong about the type of player he is. I wouldn't disagree with anyone that says he's one of our worst all round players.

Remember Parky wasn't supposed to get us playing attractive football, he just had to get us promoted. Benson has scored goals for us, 8 in about 20 games is decent.

Exactly who are these quality proven League 1 goalscorers with other strengths to their game that are available for £250k and £2-3k a week?

Are there any examples in the last couple of years of a proven goalscorer signing for a League 1 club so cheaply (including wages) and scoring regularly while offering a more all round game than Benson?

The money spent on Benson was a lot for us compared to what we had spent in the past, but even at this level it doesn't get you a real proven quality striker.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Posted by Scoham.

Last season we played some good football under Parky.

This season his job was simply to win promotion, knowing at any point he could lose his job if the club were taken over. The quality of the football wasn't important, we might have ended up in administration without promotion if there hadn't been a takeover.

Not sure I can agree with any of that. I don't think we did play some good football last season under PP or at least no more than what would be expected and no more than any other teams did at times.

Yes promotion was PP s remit for this season but what would you expect it to be ? As for playing good football not being important then I think that is ridiculous. No sustained success or progress can be made without that being a priority. Ask Chris Powell how he views that, no team as far as I am aware has ever achieved sustained and that is the crucial word without an ethos of playing good football.