Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any chance we can stop the manager assasination for a while?

More in hope than expectation.

Personally I was delighted with what I saw tonight.

Do we really have the most fickle fans in English soccer?

PLEASE think long term.

Give the man a season at least?

Comments

• Options
    Well said Floyd well said.
  • Options
    here here, i know i might be saying this a lot, but half the people on CL arent listening. He needs the summer to sort out HIS team, he walked into these players. Look at who he has brought in already: BWP, pretty good scoring record so far. Parrett had a great game tonight. the rest (havent seen a game with the others so far, just commentary) seem to be doing well too.

Personally i cant wait to see what he does over the summer, i would definitely take mid table this season if hes going to put together a team playing as a team next season!
  • Options
    Great post. Lets get behind the team for the rest of the season, The fans were great tonight.
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention, for the people that give out about us being in 5th with games in hand under Parky. Yes thats true, but this team would get DESTROYED in the Championship! I'm not surprised this run of games came along to be honest(no matter who was in charge). We were having too many games where we were throwing away leads and struggling in crappy draws. Our luck ran out. It was only a matter of time. I know this is League One and dont expect the team to play like in the Premiership just because its Charlton. I want them to properly rebuild, get promoted and not struggle and get relegated again. I want promotion the easy way, forget the playoffs. So I'll take that mid table position this year, we all should if it means growth.

Plus, it could be worse, remember who beat us in the playoffs last year!! Now have a look at the League Table to see where they are
  • Options
    Best performance under Powell so far, but one game does not make a season. Let's see what happens to the end of the season. Nine games without a win now.
  • Options
    Still not 100% convinced about him but he's learning and I love the guy so I know he's working hurting more than any of us at the lack of results.

We're not going to get relegated this season no matter what, we'll be mid table, so Chrissy hopefully you are learning about management and making your mistakes now before having some money in the summer and leading us home to a league title win next season on 100+ points. No pressure...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Best performance under Powell so far, but one game does not make a season.

Agree with both points.

And, unlike some, in the same way I didn't get carried away when we won 4 on the spin or lost however many it was, I wont get carried away by this one performance/result.

However, presumably the knee jerk mob will be chomping at the bit to heap praise on that performance. Wont they?
  • Options
    Yea we all know one game doesnt make a season (not being narky). But look at the team he had out tonight, Bessone, Parrett, BWP, Nouble and NE all played tonight, all his players. And from what I heard from the commentary we played better than previous weeks.
  • Options
    Well said, unfortunately like every Club we have our share of nit wits who expect miracles in just a few weeks. I think Michael Slaters well timed and well written letter has helped enormously. Lets first enjoy some football in the better weather, but as my Grandson said coming out of the Ground last night " I can't wait for next Season ".
  • Options
    I am against SCP appointment but at least I saw a glimmer of hope tonight. I will now hold my judgement until the end of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree, we should get off Parky's back as he's not here anymore and we should move on.

Oh you meant Powell. Yes him too.

And what shirty said is spot on
  • Options
    I don't think anybody is really being too harsh - we all want to get behind Powell and for him to succeed but if you don't have doubts given recent displays you must be mad. This is a forum not a love in so you would expect people to express those doubts in posts. I still have them but yesterday evening was reassuring on a number of levels. Of course Powell can come good and this isn't his team but his managerial skills are still required - it is about getting the best from what he has , motivating them to do their best etc... The advantage of having Powell is despite the some understandable boos (We are on a 9 game run of not winning in the third division), if the team plays like it did last night, win lose or draw, we will get behind it and the manager. Any other manager wouldn't get that and Powell can still be a success.

He needs to bank what he has and fine tune to carry a bit more attacking threat - we have the players to do that I'm sure but if we rely on luck - yes we will win a few but we will alos lose a few too. Ecleston, BWP and Anyinsah looks to me to be a formidable attack - as they are all fit - he has to play them - the more they play together the better they will be as a unit. Waggy needs to be dropped to the bench - he will be a useful player for us there but is a luxury - especially away from home as a starter. I want to see Powell realise that as he seems to have realised belatedly that McCormack isn't up to it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]I don't think anybody is really being too harsh - we all want to get behind Powell and for him to succeed but if you don't have doubts given recent displays you must be mad. This is a forum not a love in so you would expect people to express those doubts in posts. I still have them but yesterday evening was reassuring on a number of levels. Of course Powell can come good and this isn't his team but his managerial skills are still required - it is about getting the best from what he has , motivating them to do their best etc... The advantage of having Powell is despite the some understandable boos (We are on a 9 game run of not winning in the third division), if the team plays like it did last night, win lose or draw, we will get behind it and the manager. Any other manager wouldn't get that and Powell can still be a success.

He needs to bank what he has and fine tune to carry a bit more attacking threat - we have the players to do that I'm sure but if we rely on luck - yes we will win a few but we will alos lose a few too. Ecleston, BWP and Anyinsah looks to me to be a formidable attack - as they are all fit - he has to play them - the more they play together the better they will be as a unit. Waggy needs to be dropped to the bench - he will be a useful player for us there but is a luxury - especially away from home as a starter. I want to see Powell realise that as he seems to have realised belatedly that McCormack isn't up to it.

He probably realised early on McCormack isn't up to it but (until Parrett arrived) had little option in the absence of Jackson through injury. It is evident he either doesn't rate Stavrinou at all or else thinks he is not yet ready for the first team.
  • Options
    There are always other options - I maintain - the team he sent out last Saturday had no goals and defeat written all over it. He could have set up differently so we at least knocked on their door - that would have given us a chance opposed to no chance. Yesterday the team looked better on paper but I think it was still a touch toothless (albeit against a strong defence) and Powell was a bit too slow to make the necessary changes - but at least the changes he made were spot on.
  • Options
    Agreed.

Saw signs last night that we are trying to get the ball on the deck more and trying to get it to the wide men a bit quicker.

In this league, there will inevitably be periods in the game where the ball is up in the air and we have to accept that. That said, Soton were a lot more direct than I thought they would be, especially in the 1st half.

Basics-press the ball, win it back and then keep it. That was better last night.

As said, only one game. Similar at Bournemouth please.

We could be Barcelonaesque next season
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, I was suprised with Southampton - they are effective and do have quality but you can't call them a passing side. They look like a side which has been built to get out of this league - a lot of their forward balls were hit and hope but they have the quality and physicality to win a decent percentage of them. They have a lot of big strong players who are savvy/cynical depending on your viewpoint. Their central defence is strong but as for the beautiful game- well that clearly is pretty low on their list of priorities. in fact,they reminded me a bit of Leeds last season.

I would like to see us develop our game so that when we play them at their place we beat them. I think I can see this happening if we develop from here but let's not get too carried away - one swallow doesnt a summer make!
  • Options
    So do Adkins teams actually play good football, or are they playing that way because they're board are demanding promotion this season?
  • Options
    Freedom of speech.

As long as it's kept to the message boards, or after the game I don't have a problem with creative criticism.
  • Options
    yeah no one and not even SCP is beyond criticism as long as it's not abusive

and as F Or D SAYS "As long as it's kept to the message boards, or after the game I don't have a problem with creative criticism."

i think everyone is of the opinion that SCP's substitutes seem to be a bit late in the game to give the oncoming player a decent chance to make a difference

***Charlton fans in our club is so precious please don't diss it shocker***
  • Options
    It's no coincidence that we got a decent perfomance light night now we have some players back from injury. I've always said the results will come when these players are back and I stand by that. I am confident CP will turn things around and we will be a force to reckon with next season.