Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dailly: I want to stay at Charlton

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8926142.Dailly__I_want_to_stay_at_Charlton/

Comments

• Options
    I hope he stays.
  • Options
    Sign him up
  • Options
    I like the bit where he says: “As long as you can still run fast, you can still play.”

Really? Looking a bit slow to me Dailly.

I like Dailly, don't get me wrong, but I am not convinced that he has been the leader/great defender that some other people 'see'. The defence as a whole has not been great this year, and as a defender and the Captain he has been part of that problem (in addition to being sent off (twice)).

I'm not sure about Dailly - he hasn't convinced me this season at all. I would personally prefer to see us sign 2/3 new CB's: keeping Llera (whos attitude, age and recent run deserve a new contract), letting JF and GD go, I suppose could keep Dailly for that bit of experience, although for me he hasn't really showed it this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I like the bit where he says: “As long as you can still run fast, you can still play.”

Not last night he didnt, he gave their sub striker a 3 yard head start at one point and beat him to the ball on the east stand touchline.

I think he's quick as show by his marauding runs forward. Concentration now and again is a problem - fitness certainly is not.
  • Options
    Great showing last night from him, would only keep him if we could offer pay cut.

From a top wage at the club, to an average squad wage
  • Options
    Dailly is not one of the top-earners at our club - I'm almost certain.

I'd think, other than Semedo and Racon everyone is pretty much on par.
  • Options
    Sign that man up!
    We really need him again next season.
    But we do need a decent/consistant partner for Christian at CB.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Dailly is not one of the top-earners at our club - I'm almost certain.

I'd think, other than Semedo and Racon everyone is pretty much on par.

I expected Youga, Racon, Semedo to be the top ones, there all on championship wages

Must be on about 4 grand a week im guessing Dailly

More than the average
  • Options
    http://churchofchristiandailly.com/1.html
  • Options
    I believe BWP is one of the high earners too

If Dailly wants to stay I'd suggest in a player/coach role - get him working towards his badges. I think he could be a useful addition to the coaching team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]If Dailly wants to stay I'd suggest in a player/coach role - get him working towards his badges. I think he could be a useful addition to the coaching team
    I agree, but only if he is not going to be a first choice centre back (and would he be happy not being one?). He doesnt need distractions of coaching whilst preparing for games every week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I like the bit where he says: “As long as you can still run fast, you can still play.”

I like Dailly, don't get me wrong, but I am not convinced that he has been the leader/great defender that some other people 'see'. The defence as a whole has not been great this year, and as a defender and the Captain he has been part of that problem (in addition to being sent off (twice)).

I'm not sure about Dailly - he hasn't convinced me this season at all. I would personally prefer to see us sign 2/3 new CB's: keeping Llera (whos attitude, age and recent run deserve a new contract), letting JF and GD go, I suppose could keep Dailly for that bit of experience, although for me he hasn't really showed it this season.

Dailly is not slow, watch him next game. Also disgree re you experiance comments.
  • Options
    Really like the bloke and his attitude is a breath of fresh air, however I feel that he has regressed this season, albeit probably not helped by those around him.

In 36 league games the defence, of which he has been the mainstay, has conceded 53 goals in 36 games. Unless you're Peterborough, who a) spent half the season in crisis and b) have the ability to score for fun, you are not going to get away with that and get promoted. We have conceded 2 or more goals in 16 of our 36 games (45%) which means nearly every other week we are asking the strikers to score 3 goals to win the game... when you consider how we've chopped and changed up front and the injuries/suspensions we've had to deal with, it's unsurprising that we haven't been keeping to that.

In addition, Dailly has got himself sent off twice this season - that's 7 games in bans plus the missed time in the games during which he saw red.

So - do we give Dailly a new contract? I doubt at his stage in his career he's going to sign up to be part of the "squad". Llera is out of contract and I would like him to stay, unfortunately I think Fortune is done. Doherty is the real problem... 2 year deal, probably a decent wedge and absolutely hopeless - how are we going to ship him out? We really need a young CB 25 or under with pace so the likes of Dailly can both support him and be supported by him on the pitch... then it would be a worthwhile exercise.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]Dailly is not slow, watch him next game. Also disgree re you experiance comments.

The whole back four have been slow (to be fair). So has Dailly shone for you this season and been an immense leader? Not for me.

I'm afraid the defensive statistics tell the true story! Play too deep, badly organised, slow to react, etc, etc. This will not go down well probably, but I have counted more Dailly errors leading to goals than even Docherty, add to that his sending offs and... well that's how I come to my conclusion in the end.

I was a big fan of Dailly but for me too he has gone backwards this season, he had a solid game last night, sure, but don't all let that cloud your overall judgements.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]Dailly is not slow, watch him next game. Also disgree re you experiance comments.

The whole back four have been slow (to be fair). So has Dailly shone for you this season and been an immense leader?

I'm afraid the defensive statistics tell the true story! Play too deep, badly organised, slow to react, etc. this will not go down well, but I have counted more Dailly errors leading to goals than Docherty, add to that his sending offs and... well that's how I come to my conclusion in the end.

I was a big fan of Dailly but for me too he has gone backwards this season, he had a solid game last night, sure, but don't all let that cloud your overall judgements.

I’m sorry, but in the games where Dailly hasn’t played we’ve really missed him. Llera’s ok (recently) but needs someone alongside him, letting him know what to do. When Dailly isn’t in the side we are left with a uncommunicative back five (I include Robbie in that) which is killer for a defence. Believe you me, if we’d played this season without Dailly we’d be in a much, much worse position defensively than we are now. Of course he has his flaws, but this is the third division – any player who doesn’t have flaws wouldn’t be here. But his shortcomings are far smaller than some of the rubbish he’s had around him.

Llera’s now flavour of the month after a couple of decent games, but I’d still rather have Dailly + another than Llera + another.
  • Options
    I think that Daily has looked awful at times this season. He has made a few mistakes in big games that have cost us dearly. But with his experience he could be a good assest to have next year, so why not
  • Options
    One of the few players in the squad to have come out with any credit this season IMHO. Yes the back four have looked awful at times but he has been playing alongside Doc, Francis and any one of Jackson or Fry neither of whom were playing in their preferred positions. A shite midfield in front of him too. As for slow I bet the fitness stats tell us he's not. Sign on the line my son.
  • Options
    Wages are not an issue with Dailly. Sure someone posted on here that he more or less plays for expenses.

37 year old legs are an issue. Not been half the player he was last year imo. Probably time ti part company.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sign on the line my son.

Agree totally.

He's the senior Pro that commands respect from all the players, vital presence in the dressing room and on the pitch.
    Self motivated. Still very fit and prides himself on being so - just like Chris Powell at the same age.

One of the few players in the team who appear to be able to read the game, and always looking for the pass when safe to do so. We'd be foolish to let such ability and experience slip through our fingers in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The whole back four have been slow (to be fair). So has Dailly shone for you this season and been an immense leader? Not for me.

I'm afraid the defensive statistics tell the true story! Play too deep, badly organised, slow to react, etc, etc. This will not go down well probably, but I have counted more Dailly errors leading to goals than even Docherty, add to that his sending offs and... well that's how I come to my conclusion in the end.

Again, Dailly is quicker than you think, and I would suggest that Dailly has been covering Doc's/Fortunes lack of quality, Dailly is too good even at 37 not to be in our squad, we are in the 3rd division and expectations of players unfortunately must reflect that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]Again, Dailly is quicker than you think, and I would suggest that Dailly has been covering Doc's/Fortunes lack of quality, Dailly is too good even at 37 not to be in our squad, we are in the 3rd division and expectations of players unfortunately must reflect that.

Agree to diagree then?

Past it for me, part of the rebuilding process for the future, not for me. Nor Doherty, nor Fortune. The experience between those three and look at our defensive record! Shocking!
  • Options
    Our manager, of all people, should be a good judge as to whether Dailly can play another season.
  • Options
    Definately sign him up!!! Why does everyone think that just coz you're a certain age your past it?? At least he gives his all and actually looks like he cares, which is more than can be said of some of the squad!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]Again, Dailly is quicker than you think, and I would suggest that Dailly has been covering Doc's/Fortunes lack of quality, Dailly is too good even at 37 not to be in our squad, we are in the 3rd division and expectations of players unfortunately must reflect that.

Agree to diagree then?

Past it for me, part of the rebuilding process for the future, not for me. Nor Doherty, nor Fortune. The experience between those three and look at our defensive record! Shocking!

Yep agree to disagree.
    When he does retire, I would like to see Dailly in a coaching capacity with us.
  • Options

Agree to diagree then?

Agree Fortune and Doc are not the answer but Llera and Dailley handled a pretty useful long ball attack last night with relative ease. They benefit from two genuine full backs playing alongside. Yes I want us to sign a couple of centre backs but at 36/37 I doubt CD would object to being cover or a bench player. To discard him would I think be just an expensive mistake.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Agree Fortune and Doc are not the answer but Llera and Dailley handled a pretty useful long ball attack last night with relative ease. They benefit from two genuine full backs playing alongside. Yes I want us to sign a couple of centre backs but at 36/37 I doubt CD would object to being cover or a bench player. To discard him would I think be just an expensive mistake.

I would keep him as cover, sure, IF we can afford that. Otherwise I'd like to see the rebuilding of a new defence (and midfield/forwards) next season.
  • Options
    A contract with some form of coaching role would seem sensible - no expectations that he will be first choice or captain but would be decent cover.
  • Options
    Dailly's quick enough and probably second only in fitness to Wagstaff. He has made mistakes, but he's also had to carry extra responsibility to cover dreadfully slow and inept full backs. Doc gets more exposed because of his lack of pace. No it's not been as good a season for him this year as last, but he's by far our best centre half and by far our best skipper.
  • Options
    Dailly is a classic ex-international who has dropped down a couple of divisions, which used to happen regularly before players became rich enough to retire early. His knowledge, experience and reading of the game, gets him through matches. When he is isolated, his lack of pace is exposed. In a partnership with a younger more mobile centre back he'd get by. But Doherty, Llera or Fortune are clearly not of that type. If he had a future role, I'd say it would be to mentoe the likes of Solly & Jenkinson and theres no better way of doing that than on the pitch.