Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I. P Kenroys Woolwich

Yes the Pie & Mash with close this saturday 26th March

A real shame enjoyed meeting my dad in there ion a saturday before the game.

Well done Greenwich Council and there huge rent increases.

What can we expect to take its place another Chicken shop, Afro Cosmetic shop, nail bar, or phone card store

Comments

• Options
    Why would Woolwich want a good old Pie & Mash shop when the place obviously needs another Chicken takeaway.

I had heard that Woolwich was really short of Mobile phone card shops too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Yes the Pie & Mash with close this saturday 26th March

What can we expect to take its place another Chicken shop, Afro Cosmetic shop, nail bar, or phone card store

Is that what used to be Manzes(?spelling) in Beresford Square?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Yes the Pie & Mash with close this saturday 26th March

It was Manzies in my time, Len. Happy days watching the live eels through the window while waiting at the bus stop (that's me at the bus stop, not the eels).
  • Options
    No Pie n Mash in Greenwich now? (Plassey Place in Eltham is the only one that has just come to mind)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

It was Manzies in my time, Len. Happy days watching the live eels through the window while waiting at the bus stop (that's me at the bus stop, not the eels).

Yep that's the one! I used to watch the eels too. Just as well there was something to do as the 192 took forever to come!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]No Pie n Mash in Greenwich now? (Plassey Place in Eltham is the only one that has just come to mind)[/quote]

They have another in Bexleyheath

Also a pie & Mash in Dartford
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

Yep that's the one! I used to watch the eels too. Just as well there was something to do as the 192 took forever to come!

Never summoned up the courage to eat eels. I also heard tell of the legendary 'liquor' which was poured onto the pie/mash.
  • Options
    Goddards still have a stall in greenwich. In the market next to the natwest.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There's a fairly new pie and mash shop in Well Hall Road (just down from the old Odeon cinema). Can't recall what it is called, but it has been kitted out well. Haven't had one in their yet because I now live in the West Midlands. Will do next time I'm down.
  • Options
    Think there is one in Welling as well near the old bingo hall, like most places now a church
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woolwich was a really great place to shop back in the 60's and 70's. Mostly independent shops, plus the market of course. Used to be a fantastic second hand bookshop round the corner from the old Woolwich Equitable building and a discount shoe shop near the market where all the local mods used to go. I bought a lovely pair of Doc Martin tassel loafers there once, and an army surplus store virtually next door.

All long gone now. Quite sad really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jayajosh[/cite]There's a fairly new pie and mash shop in Well Hall Road (just down from the old Odeon cinema). Can't recall what it is called, but it has been kitted out well. Haven't had one in their yet because I now live in the West Midlands. Will do next time I'm down.

Smithy's !!
  • Options
    Nuxley Village in Belvedere has one
  • Options
    Jayajosh, whereabouts in the West Midlands do you live?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]Jayajosh, whereabouts in the West Midlands do you live?

Dudley
  • Options
    Kenroys is terrible for pie and mash now
  • Options
    Oh its just that there is a nice pie n mash place in Burton Upon Trent. Thats not far from you is it?
  • Options
    Woolwich, once a great place with amazing history and people.

Now you need look no further than the new wave of people there to see why it is not such a great place anymore.
  • Options
    Jarman, apparently the people of the old Woolwich are now living in the Medway Towns. I can lots more people moving out of London in the next 10 years!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]Oh its just that there is a nice pie n mash place in Burton Upon Trent. Thats not far from you is it?

Not too far but I think still a bit of a journey. I will look it up on Google maps. Never heard of Pie and Mash up this way either. Have you got an address in Burton, its worth the journey just to try it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Woolwich, once a great place with amazing history and people.

Now you need look no further than the new wave of people there to see why it is not such a great place anymore.

Boomtown Rats and Blondie fans?
  • Options
    32 miles from Dudley to Burton U Trent. About 30 minutes by car, wouldn't mind giving it go.
  • Options
    Why would anyone want to eat Pie & Mash?
  • Options
    kenroys woolwich.
    didn't he used to open the bowling for the windies?
  • Options
    kenroys woolwich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]kenroys woolwich.

You're thinking of Gladstone Bag.
  • Options
    Jayajosh, Ive tried looking on Google for a website but nothing comes up. I don't know the address but I know its in the town centre.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]kenroys woolwich.

LOL!!!!
  • Options
    There's still Manzes at the north end of Deptford High Street, and possibly a Goddards almost directly opposite. Scumwall poster on the wall in Manzes though, rather puts me off my dinner.