Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Terraces

As a young supporter, I have never been to a stadium that still has terraces.

Always see articles on people trying to find a way to allow terraces back into the game and as a wannabe designer have looked into sensible ways to include a terraced area in a stadium.

So, to the more mature supporters, how was the atmosphere at terraced games? Is it something you'd welcome back if they were brought back?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I for one don't want them back. Doubt they ever will. H & S would blow a fuse. Seated stadia are also easier to police.
  • There's grounds in league 1 with terrace.

As for designing terracing in a modern ground, if you had our north stand with the lower tier as terrace, boxes in the middle and seats on the upper tier you can't go wrong!
  • think its going to happen. siddarn
  • I loved terraces as a younger man, but when I took my daughter to Barnet she couldn't see a bloody thing. Not that she missed much.
  • I loved the big valley night games standing in the old covered end, when it was rocking you never stayed in the same place for 5 minutes. IMHO football lost such a lot due to seating, a goal was 'celebrated' more when you were standing, I don't know why, it just was.
  • edited March 2011
    AFKA has smashed a mobile phone at every league ground with a terrace. FACT
  • There are plenty or grounds in Leagues 1 & 2 that have terracing so the OP may be able to see Charlton from a terrace soon. Bristol Rovers has standing so maybe that's one for him to target.

I have always preferred to stand, for me it promotes a better atmosphere and you can celebrate a goal much better. Health and Safety killed off the large terraces we had years ago but in my opinion it wasn't so much the terrace itself but the fences which didn't allow fans crammed in a quick exit on to the pitch. Still, they probably would've been arrested for doing that!

With modern systems in place safe standing could be acheived. For instance sell 2500 season tickets for terrace with a capacity of 3000 to avoid over crowding. Obviously the terraced area would only suit a certain type of fan but what a lot of people are asking is just to have a choice of whether they sit or stand.

The best celebrations I've enjoyed have always been on a terrace with Leeds away in the cup in 1993 being one of the most memorable.
  • edited March 2011
    All you need to do is look at the German model for football and base everything around that!

Majority --> Terracing (as a part of safe, relatively inexpensive, modern stadia), Affordable ticket prices, Passionate and large fanbases/atmospheres, Entertaining football, Young players coming through at the "big" clubs, Clubs owned domestically, (relative) European success, Consistently there or thereabouts internationally

The way they treat the fans is first class and in my opinion the preservation of terracing as an option (usually behind either end with fold-down seats to placate UEFA in European/International football) is absolutely integral to that.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]All you need to do is look at the German model for football and base everything around that!

Majority --> Terracing (as a part of safe, relatively inexpensive, modern stadia), Affordable ticket prices, Passionate and large fanbases/atmospheres, Entertaining football, Young players coming through at the "big" clubs, Clubs owned domestically, (relative) European success, Consistently there or thereabouts internationally

The way they treat the fans is first class and in my opinion the preservation of terracing as an option (usually behind either end with fold-down seats to placate UEFA in European/International football) is absolutely integral to that.[/quote]

Has anyone seen this in action , ie actually been to a game in Germany? if so which ground and what was it like?
  • Cheers Guys,

Am planning on going to the Bristol game and will test it for myself ;)

COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• I would love the North Lower to once again be a terrace, would be fantastic.
  • i use the 'disco' analogy... when have you ever been to a really good 'disco' where everyone sat down all night to enjoy the music??? i rest my case ma'lord!!!

unfortunately for you 'boom boom' a thumping 'disco' night out with ya mates or special lady friend (or even man friend) will be the closest you'll ever come to a packed terrace on song and jumping for joy... i feel sorry for the young gunns who have never felt 'the surge' of a winning last minute goal. keep smiling kidda, one day, just maybe one day!?

;o)