Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man Utd chasing Jenkinson.

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Daily Mail this morning......Man Utd have joined the chase for Charlton's 19 year old highly rated Carl Jenkinson. Obviously he is lost to us, but I think we have missed a trick here and I trust that we are looking carefully at the situation in terms of our other good youngsters.
I was going to suggest that there is an injustice around this area which the FA should be looking at, but they are only interested in feathering their own nests. Perhaps we should lobby FIFA for some action.

Comments

• Options
    What action would we be looking for? He is at the end of his contract so he is free to move under the bosman ruling which was an EU ruling not football authorities.

You are right about the football authorities though looking to feather their own nest, as they are looking at making youth development the bastion of the premier league clubs.
  • Options
    Jenkinson's agent is certainly earning his money at the moment - next it will be Barcelona in for him as well.
  • Options
    Is he really that good? - i ve seen him play .... ok he looked reasonable but we have lost most of our recent games and our best perf to date he didnt play ....... i wish him well but he is no parker/ paul elliot / paul walsh .......
  • Options
    What I would want is a real structure for bringing youngsters through, with a better acknowledgement of the development work of their Clubs. For instance when Jenkinson now signs for whoever he should carry with him a guaranteed percentage of a transfer fee coming to us every time he moves.
    We supporters are the mugs in football these days, it's about time we were represented properly. The letter from Michael Slater at least gives me hope that our Club will keep us informed as much as possible, because I am aware that for many supporters the cost of attending games can be a difficulty.
  • Options
    Presumably at his age, we should get some compensation for him, yes it would be great if he was under contract and we could get a decent (if actually inflated) transfer fee for him. How much is he really worth, not potentially but now?
  • Options
    Linked to Arsenal and Man U in the press, the lads got one busy agent !
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If they're the quality of club's that are on offer you can't blame him really eh.

The question is why wasn't he on a longer contract earlier if he has that kind of potential?
  • Options
    I have watched Jenkinson from the under 16s through the under 18s up to the first team. I have to say i am surprised that he has looked good in the first team as most times i have seen him he has looked pretty run of the mill.I think his spells in non league football may have pushed him on. He is nowhere near Man U or Arsenal standard more like Championship/league 1. Conor Morris who plays for the U18s at Right back is more promising, but he is not being offered a pro contract. Also Cousins best position is right back and i think next season you will see him push on into the first team reckoning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Jenkinson's agent is certainly earning his money at the moment - next it will be Barcelona in for him as well.

exactly........Arsenal and Man U fighting over him, I somehow doubt it, he's got a cracking agent that's all I can say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]I have watched Jenkinson from the under 16s through the under 18s up to the first team. I have to say i am surprised that he has looked good in the first team as most times i have seen him he has looked pretty run of the mill.

Strange how we all see different things Dick, i've also seen him at all those levels and he always struck me as the one with the most chance of making it. Looking back on here, i see i spoke highly of him in 2008 and 2009. He seemed to have sharpness, good technical ability and read the game very well.

I don't think he is going to go on and be a superstar, but i do think he has a chance of being a very decent footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Teams will be taking a punt - the money they invest is less than small change for them. It does feel a bit like the Queen going on the rob in a council estate. It is quite depressing the more you think about it.
  • Options
    Well, he looked a fair player for us.
    But - and it's a big but - can he deliver one-touch passing and do it at pace? That would be a prerequiste for a top-four premiership team and probably for all the teams in that league other than those that know they are being relegated. I would suggest he hasn't got the out and out pace that's needed for that level.
    Time will tell but Josh Wright is still not setting the world alight at Scunthorpe and he seemed to think he was going to be the next David Beckham didn't he?
  • Options
    Because he has come through the academy and is under 21, does anyone know if Charlton be entitled any compensation?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: YourTheLoveOfMyLife[/cite]Because he has come through the academy and is under 21, does anyone know if Charlton be entitled any compensation?

Yes - rule is under 24, offered contract on equivalent terms by club and goes to a club in England. As long as the last box is ticked we will get a development fee.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    I don't think he is going to go on and be a superstar, but i do think he has a chance of being a very decent footballer.

I've only ever really seen him in the first team, but to my eyes he definitely has Premier League potential. He's physically big & strong enough, he has a turn of pace, is decent in the air, has a good touch, can get forward and as you say AFKA, he reads the game very well which indicates he is an intelligent footballer. He needs to work a little on some of his positioning imo, but all in all he looks a very well rounded footballer with no obvious flaws or weaknesses in his game. If you compare that to players like Waggy and Solly who, whilst having potential, have more obvious flaws despite being a little bit older than Jenkinson. Shelvey was younger and had more raw talent, but I don't think even he looked as effortlessly comfortable in the first team as Jenks has done in fact it's been a long time since we've had a youngster drop so seamlessly into the first team and stay there - had this contract thing not flared up he definitely would have started again on Tuesday.

He's probably not going to go on and be a star, so I'm perhaps a little surprised that the likes of Man U and Arsenal are potentially after him, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him playing regualrly for a mid to top half Premier League team eventually as he strikes me as a player who can be relied upon to put in a solid performance most weeks.
  • Options
    TBH all this paper talk can only help our cause. Have we fianllyy taken a page out of Palace's "How to Big up your Players"manual? Moses for instances was being touted around as a rival to Messi and he ended up signing for...er...Wigan, was it?

Personally I can't see him getting taken on by a Premiership side at all. Maybe the Hammers might be building a cheap side for a Championship push next year?
  • Options
    Seen him once live against Dagenham and twice on telly.I can see why Man U want him.If they sign him now can he play Champions League this year?I bet Lionel must be pissing in his pants.And no its not sour grapes.I hope the boy or his parents come to their senses and go for a better deal with us.If he is that good his time will come and Charlton never stopped any player progressing.
  • Options
    Let him go. He's good but not that good. Better than Francis but no better than Chris Solly. If he thinks he can get more experience elsewhere then good luck to him