Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Development fee for Jenkinson....

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
John Bostock played 4 games for Palace before deciding, like Jenkinson, he was worthy of better.

The tribunal determined that Palace got:

£700k up front
£525 in appearance installments
£200k for international appearance
15% sell on fee of any profit

Daniel Sturridge played 21 games for Man City before wanting to join Chelsea

The tribunal determined that Man City got:

£3.5m up front
£2m in installments
£1m for international appearance
15% sell on fee

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    Carl jenkinson played 7 games for Charlton before wanting to join Anyone

The tribunal will determine that Charlton get:

£50k up front
    £50k after 30 first team appearances
    £50k after a full international cap for Finland
    And a Kit-Kat
  • But this is Charlton!

We'll end up paying for the privilege of having him taken off our hands!

I cite Sankofa's "frivolous" appeal as an example of the contempt in which the powers that be hold our club.
  • So whats the criteria the tribunals have to consider as a matter of interest? Anyone know?
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Carl jenkinson played 7 games for Charlton before wanting to join Anyone

The tribunal will determine that Charlton get:

£50k up front
    £50k after 30 first team appearances
    £50k after a full international cap for Finland
    And a Kit-Kat
    And a joint loaning scheme between the clubs .....

*cue Keith Peacock with scarf aloft on buying clubs pitch*
  • We will get stitched up big time!
  • Bostock - Championship Crystal palace - 750k
    Sturridge - Premiership man city 3.5m

going by that rationale that would be 21% of the rate for the league above

Jenkinson - League 1 Charlton - at a guess £150k

Cheers Carl - thanks for your outstanding display of loyalty to the club who have made you what you are
  • How much would we expect to pay if we approached a youngster who had come through bath citys youth team and had made 7 first team appearances for them?
  • The percentage of future fee is something that we get consistently stiffed on. They might as well make that 90%
  • [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]How much would we expect to pay if we approached a youngster who had come through bath citys youth team and had made 7 first team appearances for them?

Im not hating the game....I'm hating the player
  • Get the Jenkinson for Finland U-21 campaign started - would probably double our compo!
  • Sponsored links:

• He's a c*** end of ...
  • [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]He's a c*** end of ...

hard nuts spoken
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Im not hating the game....I'm hating the player

In which case you've got it the wrong way round, imho, Swis.

I don't really see why Jenkinson can be blamed for wanting the opportunity to better himslf and if he's been told signing a new contract at the Valley will potentially harm his chances of doing that, then why should he sign it? If you'd just completed a, say, a degree which was paid for by your employer and were then offered a big pay-rise working for a different (more prestigious) company would you trun it down, even if you only got the job offer because of the degree your current employer paid for? I don't think many people would think twice.The problem is, that the current system makes it too easy (and cheap) for clubs to poach yougsters who are out of contract. If it was harder then it wouldn't matter if Jenks signed a new deal or not and therfore he wouldn't be getting the advice it appears he has been given.

Under such a system, how are clubs lower down the leagues to be expected to want to run academies if they know, in all liklihood, they will be loss making enterprises because everytime they produce a player who has a potentially high sale value they will have him pinched for peanuts?

Imo, the current system isn't just to the detriment of the academies involved, it's to the detriment of the national team - we simply need to be producing more well coached players. If we're to do this we need to the maximum amount of clubs running full-fledged academies, but we'll only get smaller teams taking the financial plunge involved in setting one up if they feel confident somewhere along the line they'll get a fair price for the odd top prospect they produce, thus making the academy self funding or even profit making for them. The longer we carry on like this, the sooner only the top teams will run academies and the lower leagues will be littered with their cast-offs rather than youngsters making their first steps in league football on the road to better things.

It's another example of how it's the Premier League that really runs English Football these days, not the FA.
  • Such a shame that we won't get a decent fee for him.

We got 575k for Sean McGinty who signed for Man Utd. That's because United agreed a fee with us. And a number of clauses added with that.

Seems highly unfair that we would get less for a player who has actually played for the first team!
  • I think we got £0.5m for McGinty from Man Utd

From the FL website but from 2008

"As with their professional counterparts, some young players will take the opportunity to move clubs if the chance arises. And with larger clubs seeking to recruit players at ever younger ages, this is becoming increasingly common.

In the majority of cases, clubs will reach mutual agreement on a compensation fee. However, in others the two clubs' valuations will differ, sometimes significantly, and the matter will need to be settled through an arbitration process.

The professional game's method for determining the amount of compensation payable for training and development of players under the age of 24 is through the Professional Football Compensation Committee (PFCC). The PFCC is incorporated under the rules of both The Football League and Premier League, and forms part of the collective bargaining agreement with the Professional Footballers' Association.

The PFCC comprises of an independent Chairman, appointees from The Football League and Premier League (as appropriate), an appointee of The Professional Footballers' Association and an appointee of the League Managers' Association.

PFCC hearings take place on an agreed date with each club required to provide evidence to support their valuation of the player in question. In making its judgment the committee will take into account the costs of both clubs in operating a Football Academy or Centre of Excellence, as well as the age and playing record of the player, the length of time he was registered with his original club, the terms offered by both clubs, the status of the two clubs, the substantiated interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the registration of the player and any amounts paid by the original club to acquire the player in the first place.

Unlike FIFA's formulaic approach, this domestic process allows for greater flexibility in setting the level of compensation according to the merits of each individual case. In deciding on a compensation figure, it is not uncommon for the PFCC to set fees that build as the player becomes more established at first team level. Recent cases have seen clubs receive a basic compensation fee with further payments becoming due on the player's debut, following a certain numbers of first-team appearances and after international appearances. It is also usual for there to be a sell-on fee should the player be sold at a profit at any point in the future.

The Football League believes that compensation fees set by the Professional Football Compensation Committee must send out the right signals to clubs about the benefits of having a fully-developed youth development programme.

That's the view of The League's Chief Operating Officer, Andy Williamson, who says, "We cannot allow a situation to develop where the level of compensation fees set ends up being a deterrent to club investment in youth development.

"Instead, we must ensure that clubs receive suitable recognition for the work they do in identifying and developing players. In turn, this will encourage them to re-double their efforts to produce the young talent of the future."

This summer saw considerable debate about the valuations being placed on young players by the PFCC. And whilst the fees being set by the domestic process can be significantly larger than those set by the FIFA system, Williamson believes that English football is yet to get the balance right and says, "We must not allow clubs to feel short-changed, as some clearly have done in recent times, by the very process that is supposed to reward their good work."

"This issue needs to be brought to the top of football's agenda."
  • Maybe we should play him before the end of the season and hope we can Charltonise him just in time.

Reckon we will get 100k with add ons. At least we are not as desperate for money as we were last season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    In making its judgment the committee will take into account:

the status of the two clubs

Unlike FIFA's formulaic approach, this domestic process allows for greater flexibility in setting the level of compensation according to the merits of each individual case.
  • It was 575k for McGinty plus first loan option, international clause and United first team clause.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Bostock - Championship Crystal palace - 750k

Cheers Carl - thanks for your outstanding display of loyalty to the club who have made you what you are

I think Carl might have had something to do with it as well.

I think people are being exceptionally hard on Carl. Football has no loyalty and is a constant pursuit of higher money. Lets not wish him dead just yet.

If he later states in an internview that he owes the West ham academy for making him a great player, then we can wish whatever we like of him. And watch him score against us.
  • I wouldn't blame Jenkinson, his parents or his agent - hopefully they are doing what they consider is best for Jenkinson and that is the way it should be, as you couldn't really ask them to give a higher priority to Charlton, much as we would like them to do so.

What is wrong, however is that the big clubs clearly prefer to PFCC mechanism rather than negotiating directly with Charlton - and by doing so they can offer the player more and also get the player cheaper than would otherwise be the case. The PFCC mechanism has clearly been set up to strengthen the ability of the big clubs to get what they want. Chelsea have already been found guilty of abuses when it comes to recruiting young players - and apart from having to compensate another big club what was there punishment - absolutely nothing.

I'm afraid the reality is that Sky and the big clubs are now running the game in the UK - and short of legislation to take away their powers or UEFA taking action I fear nothing will change whatsoever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Given we have a first loan option for Sean McGinty and he has been an impressive regular for the Manure U18s this season - I wonder how long it may be before we see him back on loan?
  • [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Given we have a first loan option for Sean McGinty and he has been an impressive regular for the Manure U18s this season - I wonder how long it may be before we see him back on loan?
    He's 18 in August so could well be next season he goes out on loan.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Given we have a first loan option for Sean McGinty and he has been an impressive regular for the Manure U18s this season - I wonder how long it may be before we see him back on loan?

So do we boo him for deserting us or cheer him for coming back?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Given we have a first loan option for Sean McGinty and he has been an impressive regular for the Manure U18s this season - I wonder how long it may be before we see him back on loan?

So do we boo him for deserting us or cheer him for coming back?

A half each to be coordinated in the Liberal beforehand.
  • Nothing will change, we get what we get. Hopefully a couple of 100K cant see it geting to 1/2 a mill.
  • [cite]Posted By: sm[/cite]Given we have a first loan option for Sean McGinty and he has been an impressive regular for the Manure U18s this season - I wonder how long it may be before we see him back on loan?

Do we know this for definite - I don't remember reading that anywhere official?
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Bostock - Championship Crystal palace - 750k

Cheers Carl - thanks for your outstanding display of loyalty to the club who havemade you what you are

I think Carl might have had something to do with it as well.

I think people are being exceptionally hard on Carl. Football has no loyalty and is a constant pursuit of higher money. Lets not wish him dead just yet.

If he later states in an internview that he owes the West ham academy for making him a great player, then we can wish whatever we like of him. And watch him score against us.

If I'm honest I don't hate him and I hope he does well for himself. From a purely selfish perspective I would have preferred him to do what Jonjo did and that is to sign a contract so we get a fee. If a prem club wants him they won't really care if a tribunal values him at £200k or they pay us £1m - we are talking about a great young player here and they'd be willing to pay
  • If we clear £100k on the deal I would be amazed.
  • If he comes back and plays for us we cheer him of course. I also don't think we should blame Jenkinson if he goes to a big club. it is for authorities to ensure we get adequate compensation and if we don't then it is the FA's fault not his. What would piss me off is if he signed for non-big club!
    There was no problem when Rob Lee, Lee Bowyer or Paul Walsh moved onto bigger things (or even derek hales) and the problem with Scott Parker was the timing of it as much as anything. Just so long as we get adequate compensation
  • [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]I also don't think we should blame Jenkinson if he goes to a big club.

What's your definition of big club though? There's a world of difference finding out he's been tapped up by Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or even West Ham and then him rocking up at Selhurst next year for that lot. Going to effect the crowds view of things quite a lot.