Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whatever happened to free kicks for obstruction?

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Or "impeding the progress of an opponent" as the laws quaintly call it.

I actually checked that the offence still existed - it does. But when was the last time you saw a ref give an indirect free kick for obstruction?
It seems it's either a regular foul or ignored. For example, Bessone shielded the ball out over the goal line against Southampton. The ball was never within playing distance and Bessone seemed to be "impeding" but nothing was given.

While on the FA's site I checked that the 6-second max for a goalie to handle the ball existed too. Enforcing that law was a fad that has gone right out of fashion while still being in the laws. Are there any others that have gone AWOL?

Comments

• Options
    I think the 6 second rule is being well interpreted- basically keepers know they can't hang onto it for too long and you can hardy give a free kick for 6.5 seconds or 7 seconds- This is unusual as it is unlike pedantic refs to be flexible but hey - I'm not complaining.

I've seen the odd foul for obstruction but the line between a foul and obstruction can sometimes be pretty thin.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcfan[/cite]

While on the FA's site I checked that the 6-second max for a goalie to handle the ball existed too. Enforcing that law was a fad that has gone right out of fashion while still being in the laws.

i thought that one had been taken away
  • Options
    I checked as well because I can't remember the last time I saw an indirect free kick given in the box, yet there's a huge number of penalties given for obstruction it seems to me. I don't think referees in the country even know what obstruction is, well certainly not at the highest level.

Just to be clear to, a defender is under no obligation to get out of an opponents way, so all the free kicks Ronaldo got for deliberately running into a defender after knocking the ball around them shouldn't have been given, and the associated yellow cards should be rescinded too.

I try to watch the referee these days to see if he is giving indirect free kicks (high feets is indirect I believe), but I really can't remember the last time I saw a referee (at any level) raise his arm when a kick was awarded.
  • Options
    I'm with you on the obstruction one, cafcfan. Utterly ridiculous at times that players, with the ball at their feet, can shepherd the ball out for fully 10 yards whilst blocking an opposition player off. That is often interpreted as strength rather than a foul.

The one that gets me is foul throws. Either I don't understand the laws, or I see foul throws every game. Harding did a couple the other night where he released the ball with his hands pretty much in front of his face.

The 6 second law has definitely been abolished. I remember when Andy Petterson got penalised for it against Ipswich in the cup when it first came into existence. They scored from an indirect free kick 4 yards out.
  • Options
    That would make more sense if abolished as it would be unusual for refs to apply judgement and common sense.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

The 6 second law has definitely been abolished. I remember when Andy Petterson got penalised for it against Ipswich in the cup when it first came into existence. They scored from an indirect free kick 4 yards out.

Definately NOT been abolished - its still in the FIFA Laws 2010/2011 and keepers are regularly being warned about time wasting. I agree that its is rarely enforced though. its needed or the keeper wouldn't release the ball!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If memory serves correctly there's a section in the LoAF where it states a player can use his back to shield the ball off the field of play so it is within the laws of the game and not obstruction. 6 seconds has been relaxed. Now you basically ensure the keeper isn't taking the Mick. High feet or 'dangerous play' is indirect too. Foul throws seem to be forgotten too. Most you can get away with but even the obvious ones are ignored. It's a head scratcher!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]

Definately NOT been abolished - its still in the FIFA Laws 2010/2011 and keepers are regularly being warned about time wasting. I agree that its is rarely enforced though. its needed or the keeper wouldn't release the ball!

Well that shows what I know :) No wonder I don't understand throw ins either

Is it still specified as 6 seconds, or is it at the referee's discretion as to how long 'too long' is?
  • Options
    Foul throws amaze me - I was at a Championship match last week and there were numerous blatent foul throws that were unpunished, where the ball was barely even above the head, let alone behind it. If the opposition don't appeal the ref ignores them! Looks shabby.
  • Options

Is it still specified as 6 seconds, or is it at the referee's discretion as to how long 'too long' is?

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his
    own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
    • controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing
    it from his possession
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Placing the ball within the quadrant for a corner seems to have gone out of fashion. Lost count of the number of times I've seen it placed in front, on the pitch, when a corner is taken. Can't remember a ref or lino pulling this up.
  • Options
    It has to be on the line of the arc of the corner. So as long as part of the ball is on that line it's fine.
  • Options
    Most keepers will bounce the ball after a few seconds which seems to suffice, and presumably having released it from hands could get another 6 seconds. Soppy rule anyway that does seem to have been relaxed,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]

They should have kept the old law where keepers had to bounce the ball.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the original poster. I've been moaning about this for what seems like ages now. Refs forgot about obstruction! We used to see free kicks given inside the penalty area quite regularly for this 15-20 years ago. I often wonder if there was a directive, change in rules, or silent agreement to stop using it.

Sort of disagree on the keeper thing though. I think they do stick to about 6-8 seconds max which we all accept. It's better than that ridiculous three-steps-only rule they had when i was 10 years old, and massively afraid of taking the fourth step.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]If memory serves correctly there's a section in the LoAF where it states a player can use his back to shield the ball off the field of play so it is within the laws of the game and not obstruction.

Surely the ball has to be within playing distance of the player shielding the ball?
  • Options
    I think Keepers should have 10 seconds but then the law firmly enforced.

If a player is shielding the ball out then he should also have to touch the ball every 3 feet covered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]If memory serves correctly there's a section in the LoAF where it states a player can use his back to shield the ball off the field of play so it is within the laws of the game and not obstruction.

Surely the ball has to be within playing distance of the player shielding the ball?

Absolutely and it often isn't.
  • Options
    Law 4 seems to have have gone west. The one about officials, players and goalkeepers wearing colours that distinguish them from each other - in the match between Leicester and Man City in the cup the officials and both goalkeepers wore black, and in this week's Northern Ireland v Slovenia match, the Slovenian team wore white shirts with dark green shorts, while their goalkeeper wore a pale grey/silver shirt with black shorts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Boysie[/cite]Placing the ball within the quadrant for a corner seems to have gone out of fashion. Lost count of the number of times I've seen it placed in front, on the pitch, when a corner is taken. Can't remember a ref or lino pulling this up.
    [cite]Posted By: Ross[/cite]It has to be on the line of the arc of the corner. So as long as part of the ball is on that line it's fine.

The ball doesn't even have to be touching the line, all it needs is a part of the ball to be vertically above the line. I rarely, if ever, see officials get this one wrong.

Question: should the amount of time Rory Delap takes over throw ins be clamped down on? I'm not suggesting he is time wasting, but it takes him an absolute age to chuck it in the box. Not sure what the law around this actually is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I think Keepers should have 10 seconds but then the law firmly enforced.

If a player is shielding the ball out then he should also have to touch the ball every 3 feet covered.

Mmm....bit tricky to enforce that Kap. Ref's have enough to do. Can imagine it now slow mo. replays on MOTD and those twats saying, "he clearly brushed that with his studs after 2.91 secs since the last touch. It's a ridiculous decision"...
  • Options
    Also when a player takes the ball into the corner by the flag in the last minute. Surely that is obstruction when he shields the ball with his body.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]Also when a player takes the ball into the corner by the flag in the last minute. Surely that is obstruction when he shields the ball with his body.

Not if the ball is actually within playing distance of him.
  • Options
    So, in other words, obstruction is allowed if you're within playing distance of the ball?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]So, in other words, obstruction is allowed if you're within playing distance of the ball?

If you are deemed by the referee to be nearer to the ball than your opponent and within actual playing distance of the ball,
    he will regard you as being in possession.
  • Options
    it is definately legitamate to put your body between the ball and your opponent when you have possesion of the ball. In fact any good coach should be teaching young players how to use his body.
    However that is totally different when you are 5 yards away, the opponent tries to run round you, you move to block him off. Ref's however have never played the game and dont seem to understand the difference.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]Ref's however have never played the game and dont seem to understand the difference.

And that isn't an extremely harsh, inaccurate and sweeping generalisation?