Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Board Members talking to Managers

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Did anyone else notice on the Football League Show last night that Tony Jimenez was talking to Redknapp? More than likely talking about Parrett and possibly having him or other exciting players in on loan next seaon.

I have noticed before Jimenez talking to managers from other clubs at different games. I know it could be nothing but you never know. Hopefully we have money to spend, sign some quality and keep the good players we actually have in our current squad.

Not only have we got Jeff Vetere in but with Tony Jimenez as well, we now have a huge amount of footballing contacts with a large variety to them. Although the season is not officially over and we have games to play, results obviously not going our way but the future looks bright for us and i'm quietly confident about next season if Mr Slater and the board keeps their word about having money to spend and rumours are true that we will be signing quality this summer.

Just out of curiosity, what players and what positions would you like to see us sign and fill in this closed season?

Discuss..

Comments

• Options
    Erm, most of them!
  • Options
    what we got 3 or 4 goodens
  • Options
    One player I'd like to see us get either on a season loan or permanent for next season would be Cody MacDonald. Done the business for the jills this season
  • Options
    yeah in league 2 !!
  • Options
    Not too sure about the current trend of ' board members' getting to involved with player selection.
    As Shankley once stated........

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the checks."
    Bill Shankly

Now I know that people will say that that was another time, and things have changed !.... At Charlton things have not changed for the better!

The possible conflict of the chairman, 'his associate' or other individuals suggesting to the manager, be it Powell or anyone else is surely a two edged sword!

After all any club 'loaning' a player to Charlton, surely they will expect us to play them!, and will Powell really be in a position to decline 'suggestions!'

Do not get me wrong, great that we have contacts, but we need a manager with vision, a plan, and a board prepared to back him!

After all, if the current board are so keen to 'identify' people, 'why not identify the people behind the club'......
  • Options
    If you think good contacts doesnt help you live in a strane world. The Board have always made it clear that Powell will have the say.
    But if jimenez came to Poweel and said i can get you this player "parret" - do you want him? What is wrong with that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]But if jimenez came to Poweel and said i can get you this player "parret" - do you want him? What is wrong with that?

As long as Powell first watches the video of the player on YouTube, like we reckon Pardew did before signing McLeod.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: redman[/cite]But if jimenez came to Poweel and said i can get you this player "parret" - do you want him? What is wrong with that?

As long as Powell first watches the video of the player on YouTube, like we reckon Pardew did before signing McLeod.

;o)
    A bit like Bill Shankley then...........

Give me Bill anyday of the week over Jimenez!.... a true football legend.

I have nothing against anyone 'assisting' the manager, but the manager is there to manage, surely he should be the one that should have the vision and the final say!.
    God help us if we have team selection by the board next!.

The board invited Powell, they should have the courage of there convictions.

As I said great to have 'connections' but let us see him connect his signature to a few cheques!..... when Chris asks for it!........ or whoever signs them these day's.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]The board invited Powell, they should have the courage of there convictions.

How do you know they don't?

Everything at the moment is assumptions...
  • Options
    Threads like this always make me laugh.

Football is a really really small business, everyone knows everyone. Rednap also has history with Bournemouth, lives locally and had the day off.

Football managers do not stay at home on Saturday's off, they go and watch football.

When the meet collegues they talk and have the normal catch-up conversations that come from knowing everybody in the small area which you are sitting.

Please stop reading things into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "In business planning and business plans, an assumption is an assertion about some characteristic of the future that underlies the current operations or plans of an organization" wicki definition
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]The board invited Powell, they should have the courage of there convictions.

How do you know they don't?

Everything at the moment is assumptions...
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the checks."
    Bill Shankly

I will assume that Shanks knew what he was talking about, that will do for me!
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Not too sure about the current trend of ' board members' getting to involved with player selection.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the checks."
    Bill Shankly

Its a good job that the business of football has not changed in the slightest since Shankly was involved...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Not too sure about the current trend of ' board members' getting to involved with player selection.

Bill Shankly

Its a good job that the business of football has not changed in the slightest since Shankly was involved...

And all changes are not for the better are they! just look at Charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]I will assume that Shanks knew what he was talking about, that will do for me!

You're also assuming that isnt how its working at Charlton!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They were in the same room together so of course they were going to talk. Redknapp is often a guest at Bournemouth living at nearby Sandbanks - as has already been pointed out.