Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quote of the week, by a mile, goes to Slater

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
"what attracted you to Charlton in the first place"

"... well it wasnt Crystal Palace"

Quality!!

Comments

• Options
    Whatever else he is, he's a PR genius.
  • Options
    Build a statue of the man already!
  • Options
    Leaves me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

He hasn't got the 'mileage' yet to enter into a Murray style war with Palace and it reads to me as a bit of a suck up to the fans. I'm getting a bit wary of the constant telling us what we want to hear.

But the summer dealing is really where the talking stops so my jury's out until then.
  • Options
    Interesting.

So can we can rule out Palace as the other Club that Slater and Jiminez were looking at when Varney got them interested in us instead, allegedly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]Leaves me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

He hasn't got the 'mileage' yet to enter into a Murray style war with Palace and it reads to me as a bit of a suck up to the fans. I'm getting a bit wary of the constant telling us what we want to hear.

Agree
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charente addick[/cite]Leaves me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

Agree

Double that, I really like everything Slater has said so far, which makes me very suspicious. I am sure its just my own paranoia but ......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

Agree

Double that, I really like everything Slater has said so far, which makes me very suspicious. I am sure its just my own paranoia but ......

LOL

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

I chatted to him very briefly and like others I found him a very nice guy. Maybe we are being too suspicious or are just feeling our way into a new "relationship". I guess the same could be said for MS.

let's wait and see on 1 July what the new squad looks like.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]let's wait and see on 1 July what the new squad looks like.
    Or 1st September, can't imagine it'll all be sorted by July...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]let's wait and see on 1 July what the new squad looks like.
    Or 1st September, can't imagine it'll all be sorted by July...

I thought I was being generous saying 1 July. I expect all the ins and outs sorted by May 10 when Chris come to Bromley!
  • Options
    He seems, from talking to him a genuine bloke, and the Palace line is a gem... we will just have to wait and see as the next few years unfold, but i like the phrase "significant investment".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I have a touch of the Groucho Marx about me, in the sense that I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member, or in this case deep suspicions about something so good. Its a bit like meeting a georgous girl who is all over you, you just know something has to be deeply wrong somewhere down the line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]I think I have a touch of the Groucho Marx about me, in the sense that I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member, or in this case deep suspicions about something so good. Its a bit like meeting a georgous girl who is all over you, you just know something has to be deeply wrong somewhere down the line.

That happens a lot in Thailand, so I hear. Forget about it : - )
  • Options
    I am not at all suspicious. I now am starting to believe there is real money behind us and Mr. Slater of course knows and is just itching to tell us but of course can't. Hence all the hints and leaks that everything will be rosy. I think this close season will be very very exiting. Or am I just a gullible fool. Time will tell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I am not at all suspicious. I now am starting to believe there is real money behind us and Mr. Slater of course knows and is just itching to tell us but of course can't. Hence all the hints and leaks that everything will be rosy. I think this close season will be very very exiting. Or am I just a gullible fool. Time will tell.

I think you may well be right to be optimistic. 95% of me says sit back and enjoy a great summer and 2011/12 season.

5% says keep asking questions and wait to see real evidence of concrete plans and actions.
  • Options
    possible - in that a couple of extra million are insignificant and so able to write this season off - not impressed with the dig at Palace really - bit childish and could even be construed a bit as 'i married her because...., well, she wasn't Bella Emberg'. Anyway, it's what happens on the pitch that matters really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I am not at all suspicious. I now am starting to believe there is real money behind us and Mr. Slater of course knows and is just itching to tell us but of course can't. Hence all the hints and leaks that everything will be rosy. I think this close season will be very very exiting. Or am I just a gullible fool. Time will tell.

I think you may well be right to be optimistic. 95% of me says sit back and enjoy a great summer and 2011/12 season.

5% says keep asking questions and wait to see real evidence of concrete plans and actions.

I think my real belief in what the board are saying has created a very strange feeling of my hardly being concerned about the remainder of this seasons results. Never felt like it before. It's like I know we are just treading water.
  • Options
    I'm still annoyed that we blew this season when we had a perfectly good chance of the play-offs at least.

But this season is over. I'll go to the home games and have a lads weekend away in Walsall interrupted by the game there. Would be nice to see a few of the kids given a game or two.

Then there's the Sponsors dinner to look forward to, Bromley Addicks sponsoring the U15s to help the long term future of the Club and then Chris Powell at Bromley in May three days after the season finishes to tell us what the brave new world will look like.
  • Options
    would love to see the kids have a few games.
  • Options
    I'd take the blow out this season if it's for the greater good. My issue with Slater's comments is not that I believe they are load of old bull but I have a fear that they are load of old bull.

My only encouragement is that those who seem closer to the club than me appear excited rather than sceptical.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]would love to see the kids have a few games.

Have you seen the grown ups this season ; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I bought the club I would have said the same. He has an interest in our club and can say what he likes about Palace as far as I am concerned. I salute you sir Michael.
  • Options
    sir michael and sir chris now
  • Options
    Words at the moment buy a bit of time , i yearn for things to get better , & will reserve judgement, its going to be tough intergrating lots of new faces all at once, Arsene Wenger said he only thought of adding 2-3 new faces per season to the first team , our situation and aims are completely different , but its still not easy.

If Chris hadn't been appointed i'm not sure the fans wouldn't have been so forgiving about results so far, we'd want the new bloke sacked , and we're back to square one.

I want Chris to be given time and backing , its crucial we bring the right sort of players in , not big time, past their best charlies.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]sir michael and sir chris now

Surely it should be St. Michael?

At least that would get the cardigan wearers behind him.
  • Options
    People, don't get too carried away. If they can work with our manager to build a team in the same way that they can organise how they communicate to supporters then we have a half decent chance. But they shouldn't go around pretending that they have done their time in the Cupboard End. That sort of stuff rarely ends happily. Right now we will settle for competance.
  • Options
    Brentford Addick ........ be interested to know how long your time has been in the cupboard end ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]"what attracted you to Charlton in the first place"

"... well it wasnt Crystal Palace"

Quality!![/quote]

I still dont really understand it, its not witty or funny, or really makes any sense?
  • Options
    I think the true answer is closer to 'It was available for £1 and with their recent history I thought that we'd storm into the Premier League and I'd make a mint'. But I think having a pop at Palace is a better soundbite.

Of course, it is possible that he was actually offered Palace and declined it so he was genuinely referring to all the things we have that they don't. However, I think it was to impress the fans. I've always thought that those on the board should be above public comments of this nature, but I completely understand why he did it.