Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesbrough...the latest financial disaster club

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
According to the Times weekly podcast (The Game)...£20 mill wages bill for this season which needs to be cut to £6 mill by next season. Nicky Bailey on the cheap anyone?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]According to the Times weekly podcast (The Game)...£20 mill wages bill for this season which needs to be cut to £6 mill by next season. Nicky Bailey on the cheap anyone?

I heard a rumour that people from Boro were visiting another Club to find out how to cope without parachute money.

Now what was that Club's name? Give me a minute, it will come to me.
  • Options
    The should have saved the petrol and gone to Leeds or Norwich
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]According to the Times weekly podcast (The Game)...£20 mill wages bill for this season which needs to be cut to £6 mill by next season. Nicky Bailey on the cheap anyone?

I heard a rumour that people from Boro were visiting another Club to find out how to cope without parachute money.

Now what was that Club's name? Give me a minute, it will come to me.

What did we tell them, "f**ked if we know - look where we are now!"
  • Options
    we've always been the model of a well run club ........ ahem
  • Options
    If Steve Gibson ever gives up they are finished.
  • Options
    When we played Hartlepool the other week Craig Hignett (part of the Academy coaching staff at Boro) was doing the summarising on CAFCPlayer. The mic got left on at half time and you could over hear him saying Kris Boyd was on 40K and he was pretty scathing about the quality of the players and the difference between the SPL and the Championship. He suggested that Boyd wasn't the only player earning well into 5 figure salaries either. If those number are right I can't see how they can avoid administration once the parachute payments are gone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]If Steve Gibson ever gives up they are finished.

I think he's run out of money tbh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]When we played Hartlepool the other week Craig Hignett (part of the Academy coaching staff at Boro) was doing the summarising on CAFCPlayer. The mic got left on at half time and you could over hear him saying Kris Boyd was on 40K and he was pretty scathing about the quality of the players and the difference between the SPL and the Championship. He suggested that Boyd wasn't the only player earning well into 5 figure salaries either. If those number are right I can't see how they can avoid administration once the parachute payments are gone.

Yeah I remember that EA, at the time I wondered if it was a deliberate oversight leaving the mic on. The commentators have done it a few times with us as well, normally saying things like "if they are out of contract and being released they should be trying even harder to get a deal somewhere else".
  • Options
    Boro could well end up in L1 in the future, they are crippled with their wage bill and they are all underperforming
  • Options
    In many ways they have mirrored us in the last few seasons, they will stay up this season but only just and desperately need a clear out in the summer- both in terms of finances and deadwood. Seems as though Strachan did a Pardew there if the figures about Boyd are to be believed as he won't be the only one.

Another major similarity is the fact both them and us have great youth set ups and Boro's best players this season have probably been those they have bought through rather than spent money on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CommentAuthorTutt-Tutt CommentTime8 hours ago quote# 1
    According to the Times weekly podcast (The Game)...£20 mill wages bill for this season which needs to be cut to £6 mill by next season. Nicky Bailey on the cheap anyone?

Mentioned that about Nicky Bailey during a pre match pint last saturday, drinking partners all agreed so not totally outrageous.
  • Options
    Wouldnt suprise me to see Bailey back....feel like he has unfinished business after missing that penalty. Have really missed him this season and who knows if he'd stuck round we might be 11th.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]When we played Hartlepool the other week Craig Hignett (part of the Academy coaching staff at Boro) was doing the summarising on CAFCPlayer. The mic got left on at half time and you could over hear him saying Kris Boyd was on 40K and he was pretty scathing about the quality of the players and the difference between the SPL and the Championship. He suggested that Boyd wasn't the only player earning well into 5 figure salaries either. If those number are right I can't see how they can avoid administration once the parachute payments are gone.

I can't believe that 40K figure is correct.

Rangers are an absolute mess financially and neither they or Celtic operate anywhere near Premiership wages, their top earners are generally on around 10K per week, certainly not much more than that.

Just look at the way that Aiden McCreadie (spelling) left Celtic - the club he loves - for a deal with the team in Russia who were paying proper money for proof that the Old Firm can't compete on wages.

As a result it would be hard to see how Boyd could get 40K per week at Boro - they were probably not paying those kind of wages to Viduka/JFH in the Premiership days let alone to a CCC player.
  • Options
    Boyd signed for Rangers back in 2006 when there was more money about up there, so i'd have thought he was on at least 15-20k a week at Rangers. Boro must've made it worth his while or he'd have stayed up there. Same story for Scott McDonald too who signed from Celtic.

Wasn't Amdy Faye on about 40k a week with us and Rangers paid half his wages when he went there on loan? So they can pay the wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Boyd signed for Rangers back in 2006 when there was more money about up there, so i'd have thought he was on at least 15-20k a week at Rangers. Boro must've made it worth his while or he'd have stayed up there. Same story for Scott McDonald too who signed from Celtic.

Wasn't Amdy Faye on about 40k a week with us and Rangers paid half his wages when he went there on loan? So they can pay the wages.

Amdy Faye was not on 40K per week at Charlton, probably less than half of that. Our top paid player in the Premiership years was apparently around the 20K mark - that's been confirmed on here by people in the know.

People forget how little money there is in Scottish football in comparison to England, their TV deal is worth feck all compared to the EPL deal.

As a result I seriously doubt that Rangers would have been paying him anywhere near 20K per week even back in 2006 - David Murray was basically trying to sell the club since around that time anyway as he had run out of dough.

Just look at the players Rangers/Celtic have been bringing in since Celtic's really useful side in 2003/4 that reached the CWC/UEFA Cup Final, the quality of players they have signed since then has been generally poor - they can't even compete with the likes of Wolves/Wigan.

Look at Rangers/Celtic current teams, how many of those players are even of Premiership quality? What does that tell you?

Scott Macdonald scored plenty of goals in Jockball but has never scored an international goal and could not even get a Premiership team to show any interest in him.

The gulf in finance between the EPL - the richest league in the world - and the SPL is huge.
  • Options
    Jason Euell was our highest paid player at one point, i know that for a fact.

Bailey would have to take a paycut if he come back, hes on about 13k a year there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Jason Euell was our highest paid player at one point, i know that for a fact.

Bailey would have to take a paycut if he come back, hes on about 13k a year there.
    That will make him like a millionaire up there.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    He could invest in a whole street of boarded up buildings....... and it would only cost him a month's wages.

;o)
  • Options
    When will the buffoons that are meant to run the game in the UK realise that the result of handing over the game to Sky and the big clubs is that wages have been bid up to ridiculous levels - with the result that it is totally economic to run a football club outside the Premier league. How about introducing individual salary caps outside the Premiership - with an automatic 20 ppint deduction for any breaches - would need to be phased in to honour existing contracts.