Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Powell should let youngsters step up against Terriers

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8968847.Why_Powell_should_let_youngsters_step_up_against_Terriers/

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, can't see Tuna, Stavs or Perkins being involved - Mambo at a push. Cousins is too young at the minute.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huddersfield are still involved in the shake up so if we put out a team of youngsters i'm sure the other teams involved in the promotion/play offs will get the hump
  • Options
    I'm expecting Tuna, Stavrinou, Perkins and Davisson to be released, and probably Mambo. So can't see any of them being involved.

If they are to be released that leaves the three 2nd year u18s that are staying, Warren, Popo and Gough (who was on the bench Saturday). I wouldn't be surprised if Popo and/or Warren make the bench at some point in these last 5 games. If they aren't on the bench it's understandable, they're only 17/18, plenty of time yet.

Cousins and Harriott might also make the bench, but as 1st years it's probably a bit too early for them.

I'd trust Powell and his staff on this, we have some promising players but they aren't stand out players like Shelvey was at 16. I'd like to see them get a chance but (and I know it's always mentioned in threads about the young players) remember how Wagstaff lost confidence when Pardew played him too early?
  • Options
    Wise words Scoham, but I still feel that Mambo will feature next term.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Sorry, can't see Tuna, Stavs or Perkins being involved - Mambo at a push.

I expect them all to be released. If Mambo couldn't get a chance ahead of Doc or Forch then he's no chance. Was awful at Shrewsbury earlier in the season.

As for Cousins being too young, why ? Ipswich blooded a 16 year old on Saturday v Palace and he scored twice. Age don't matter, it's if you are good enough.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see Mambo play.
  • Options
    Mambo was awful against Shrewsbury, but surely it's worth having another look before dismissing his Charlton career so easily. I have seen him a couple of times in pre season games and I think he showed signs he could make it. He definitely has the physicality. Agree Cousins and Harriot could be decent calls as subs too for different reasons, maybe not against Huddersfield but definitely beyond that. But I'd like to see how Mambo performs against Huddersfield alongside Doc.
  • Options
    You're right that age doesn't matter, Large, but height and physical presence does. He might not be big enough yet to cope with Alan Lee. Size not that big a deal when you're playing on the wing.

No amount of rephrasing could make those sentences not sound dodgy.
  • Options
    I think Tuna will be released but would like us to have one last look aswell, he impressed against Barnet in the JP last year and certainly has ability. Just think we do not have much to lose by giving Tuna 20-30 mins, admittedly he may not have done especially well in a couple of his loans but playing with better players may allow Tuna to show what he can do.
  • Options
    Mambo is worth persevering with.

Cousins, on the other hand.....er, not so sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cousins is an England captain, and signed a deal on his 17th birthday, just like Shelvey did, something tells me he's the one worth keeping
  • Options
    Would like to see Fortune renew his friendship with Alan Lee - remember the Ipswich game a few years back?
  • Options
    http://www.cafctv.co.uk/page/reservesdetail/0,,10267~2337160,00.html

Why Powell shouldn't, perhaps...
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]You're right that age doesn't matter, Large, but height and physical presence does. He might not be big enough yet to cope with Alan Lee. Size not that big a deal when you're playing on the wing.
    On Cousins, that's why it's probably too early for him. No doubt comfortable on the ball and an intelligent player, but not yet strong or great in the air.

Though he can play right back or central midfield, if he makes an appearance this season I'm sure he won't be thrown in at centre back.
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Wise words Scoham, but I still feel that Mambo will feature next term.
    Might do, only making a prediction based on what he's done here and at Eastbourne this season.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes, He needs to have a look at Mambo as he is at a point where a decision has to be made. With Cousins or Harriot it is a question of giving them some experience - that's why using them as a sub is a better bet - you use them if you judge the match to be suitable for them and don't if you feel it can damage them. if we are coasting at home to Rochdale or Hartlepool, it shouldn't hurt to give them 20 mins or so. If not you keep them on the bench.

Mambo might look better , playing with better players. That is always an overlooked factor.
  • Options
    Have read 2 reports now by Matt Fricker, and have to say i'm not impressed at all. The bloke is singing from a different hymn sheet from the way i see it.
  • Options
    Spoke to someone from Fulham who was there today and he said that our team was 'young and inexperienced' compared to the Fulham team that consisted of several first team players including the keeper Stockdale, Senderos, Matt Briggs, and others. After Mambo was injured we had two first year scholars as central defenders against the likes of the Italian stiker Trotta, who was a handfull. Men against boys literally! Best place and time to try them out.
  • Options
    Cottagers Cruise past Addicks. Who writes these headlines : - )

Two unnamed trialists. Maybe the Spanish kid was one but who was the other I wonder?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Cousins is an England captain, and signed a deal on his 17th birthday, just like Shelvey did, something tells me he's the one worth keeping[/quote]

Stacey Long played for England while U16 with us in 2000.

He has since played for Ebbsfleet and Stevenage.

"England player at U16" does not guarantee quality or success.
  • Options
    another trialist benni mccathy maybe!!!!!!! henry been told that it was him

also if marriott can score a very good goal past a very good keeper in stockdale he should get a game before end of season! because it was simerler time that we blooded wagstaff and shelvey
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valiantphil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]Cousins is an England captain, and signed a deal on his 17th birthday, just like Shelvey did, something tells me he's the one worth keeping

Stacey Long played for England while U16 with us in 2000.

He has since played for Ebbsfleet and Stevenage.

"England player at U16" does not guarantee quality or success.
    Ditto Sankofa.
    Tough job 'predicting' players futures.
    Stacey was released and is now only one division away from playing against his old Club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why hurt the confidence of the youngsters, which is all a tonking at hands of Huddersfield would do. They have a lot to play for and will turn out their best team, no he players that are most responsible for thisseasons poor results should face the coming barrageand perhaps try to ensure their places in the new team for next season.
  • Options
    At this stage it is simply a question of what is best for the youngsters, they should be our future. I'm not sure that it is going to help anyone by throwing them to the terriers which looks like being the hardest game to go. Hopefully the very considerable wisdom that we have amassed at Charlton now will make a good decision.
  • Options
    No, no, no. Putting the youngsters in now - against a good footballing side like Huddersfield - would only damage their confidence and, if we got hammered 4-0 (or worse) lead to more booing and fan discontent. Also we are not, mathematically, out of the playoff places yet....nearly but not quite. We need to put out our best possible side Saturday and put in a real performance to try and win it. It would keep the play-off 'dream' alive for another match, help season ticket sales and team confidence going into the last few games. By all means put a youngster or 2 on the bench and see whats happening with 15-20 minutes to go - but only if the timing is right.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well first we would need to win all 5 games to reach 69 points. Winning 5 games on the bounce is unlikely enough but even if we do, the lowest recorded points total to achieve a play off place is, I think, 70! The play off dream is well and truly dead now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Well first we would need to win all 5 games to reach 69 points. Winning 5 games on the bounce is unlikely enough but even if we do, the lowest recorded points total to achieve a play off place is, I think, 70! The play off dream is well and truly dead now.

You are right of course. In addition to winning all 5 remaining games to get to 69 points we'd have to rely on Rochdale, MK Dons, Bournemouth and Orient all losing their matches (or an occasional point) to give us a vague chance - and that won't happen. I think the most important thing is to try and finish the season on a high (as best we can anyway..) as it always seems that the teams that finish the season with a flurry seem to start the next in the same manner. So I still think we should keep pushing on regardless to try and get some confidence back.
  • Options
    Powell on giving Mambo and other young players a chance (taken from the Fortune thread)-
    The news means young Yado Mambo will have to wait a bit longer to stake his claim but Powell hinted he and the other youngsters could still get a chance to shine at some point this season.

“Yado is a defender who we feel has the right ingredients to progress and have a career, hopefully long-term with us,” the SE7 chief explained.

“But he is like many other players who if I’m looking at next year there may be a chance to put them in.

“You don’t want to expose them and put them in a game where you feel it could be tough for them, so it is something I have to strike the right balance with and not put too many in.

“But maybe if I can start one youngster, or put one on the bench and give them 20 minutes or half an hour, that is something I will look at to possibly do.”
  • Options
    Sounds like Powell still wants to take a good look at Rambo Mambo.

Expect another year's contract for the lad?