Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Huddersfield Town 16 April 2011 - Preview, Poll and Views

Town come into this game boosted by Southampton's midweek defeat at Rochdale. While they and Saints have the same points Soton have the better goal difference but that set back at Spotland means that the South Coast Club now have just the one game in hand.

The fight for the second promotion spot could go to the wire between those two and Peterboro'. The Terriers will be keen to avoid the play-offs again if at all possible having missed out last time in the semi's.

Huddersfield are also on a great unbeaten run having not lost in their last 20 home or away.

Can they score goals? Yes, 32 on the road so far to add the 32 at home but that is still less than the teams around them and "only" 7 more than their opponents on Saturday. Town have been more than happy to settle for a 2-1 or 1 - 0 win in recent weeks knowing that you get the same three points regardless.

For once there will be a few names familiar to home fans in the visitors line up. Ian Bennett is an very experienced keeper at 39, Danny Ward (on loan from Bolton) featured for Swindon last year, Peter Clarke in the heart of the defence was a Parky target when he left Southend and Danny Cadamarteri is still remembered from his Everton days. Watch out also for Jordan Rhodes.

Sullivan seems set for his home debut while Jon Fortune must realise that Dailly's sending off and the dropping of Llera have given him, at most, five more drinks in the last chance saloon.

The so far quietly impressive Michael Stewart will be looking to earn a new contract and we might see a few younger faces on the bench considering that Powell and the board seemed to have acted to secure the signatures of those youngsters we want to keep. Harriot seems the most likely to be risked given he is an attacking player and that he scored for the reserves midweek. Other than this the game is a dead rubber as far as the hosts are concerned.

As for the result it all points to a one goal margin away victory as the visitors show what can be achieved by spending a fair amount of cash on a mix of premiership loans and experienced pros from the lower divisions alongside youth team products.

2 - 1 Town

Comments

• Options
    Eccleston should start imo.
  • Options
    we'll probably win this one, 3-1 I reckon
  • Options
    Similar to the Southampton game in that there's no shame in losing to Huddersfield. They are clearly a better side than us.

2-1 to them.
  • Options
    My concern is Forts and Doc at the back.

But...will go for another 0-0.
  • Options
    Based on the facts I find it impossible to go other than for an away win. I think Huddersfields last 6 away games have produced 5 wins and a draw. 1-2.
  • Options
    1-3 defeat.
    concerned that kevin kilbane will expose solly's lack of height.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Other than this the game is a dead rubber as far as the hosts are concerned.
    Not sure I agree with this...IF (and it a big IF) we can actually beat these and a few other results go our way then playoffs are still not (mathematically) dead. Yes - I know a long-shot - but IMO we should keep pushing until the numbers stay stop!

Having said all that: probably a 2-1 win to the Udders!!
  • Options
    Good preview Henry.

I think, from seeing Huddersfield a few times on sky this season, Kilbane is the biggest threat they pose. Some of his passing has been great and whoever's marking him needs to close him down anytime he gets the ball. I've never voted for a Charlton loss on these polls before, so I'm not going to vote at all this week !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-west[/cite]
    Not sure I agree with this...IF (and it a big IF) we can actually beat these and a few other results go our way then playoffs are still not (mathematically) dead. Yes - I know a long-shot - but IMO we should keep pushing until the numbers stay stop!

Love it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-west[/cite]

Love it.

Thanks! Ever the optimist (glass half full and all that...) - think if I wasn't I'd have given up following this shower years ago!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    play the kids - well Mambo and Ecclestone anyway

if Powell is aware of anyone in the squad who won't be with us next year is there any point in still playing them for the final few games ... Nope !

You need players who actually want to be there .. rather than any who are simply going through the motions ... oh ... hang on a minute .... we wouldn't have enough for the matchday squad 18
  • Options
    and we'll win !!!

have no logic to base this on but am getting bored with just moaning all of the time
  • Options
    I love all this play Mambo rubbish. If he were good enough he'd have got a game by now, he isn't. I'd love to see Harriott, Cousins and Warren off the bench for twenty minutes each across the last five games though.
  • Options
    Pilkington has a badly broken leg, and has been replaced by Danny Ward (Swindon/Bolton)

Draw at best
  • Options
    Large Addick - I agree but I don't rate Docherty, Dailly is suspended, and Fortune can only dream of being the player he was less than 3 years ago

that leaves Mambo and Llera

I'd like to see him in the flesh - then possibly write him off

Forgot about Cousins - would like to see him as well
  • Options
    Charlton 1, Huddersfield 2
  • Options
    We'll win 7-6 after being 1-5 down.

Happened once before. Why not again?
  • Options
    Where on earth did DickVanDykesDiscoDog turn up from ? Can we hear his English accent first ?
  • Options
    my cockney accent is nearly as creditable as Steve McLaren's attempt at a dutch one
  • Options
    Charlton 1 Huddersfield 3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 1 Huddersfield 4
  • Options
    Stupid boy Pike !
  • Options
    They are a proper well rounded team on a roll what's more want / need it more than we do. I can see a 0 - 2 but still a decent effort by us.
  • Options
    I'm taking my son to his first ever game (anywhere, not just at Charlton). I may have to pretend that we play in blue and white stripes...
  • Options
    havent we got a really good home record against huddersfield! i cant remmember us losing a home game to them ! maybe im wrong!!! 2-1 win
  • Options
    7 v 6 we will be 5 v 1 down with 10 men and win 7 v6 or

5 v 1 Town win.
  • Options
    7-6 win, 2 sendings off (each), a pitch invasion by daleks. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    Bovvered (part Deux)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uie2[/cite]havent we got a really good home record against huddersfield! i cant remmember us losing a home game to them ! maybe im wrong!!! 2-1 win

We lost 1-0 at home to them in our First Division title winning season. Their keeper had an absolute blinder.