Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 0-1 Huddersfield - Post Match Views

WSSWSS
edited April 2011 in General Charlton
All in here. Ta.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]well, I just got back from the Valley, first time I've seen a Chris Powell team live.

And I have to tell you Nolly and a few others that that was a decent performance and definitely they didnt deserve to lose. With the exception of a the 50-60 minute mark we were marginally the better and more threatening side. Good passing and movement. Solly, Semedo, Wagstaff especially second half all played well. Benson and BWP looks like the beginnings of a partnership. Solid goalkeeping. Dodgy at times in the centre of defence but who can be surprised at that. Kyel Reid is an idiot with some footballing skills,which are rarely used.
    Huddersfield are a good team.If we play like that against Bristol Rovers, then yes we will win.
    Most people there will broadly agree, since they were warmly applauding at the end.
  • Options
    First half was dull, second half we deserved something from the game and all three points wouldn't have been robbery.

Solly and Wag work hard together down the right but Racon not at the races today.
  • Options
    Enjoyed the game if not the result.

Just shows what an opportunity missed this season has been. That team and that formation near enough has been available for months.

I liked Stewart even though I don't think he had a good game and missed two decent chances.

Waggy MOTM for me.

Elliot made too many mistakes, messed up for their free kick (beaten from distance again) and poor distribution.

Oh, it wasn't Elliot? Keeper was solid then, never kicked into touch, never miscommunicated with defence and the being beaten from outside the box not his fault
  • Options
    played well were the better team, but when a goalkeeper sets up a wall the other side is his responsibility end of.Sullivan has to do better there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Enjoyed the game if not the result.

Just shows what an opportunity missed this season has been. That team and that formation near enough has been available for months.

I liked Stewart even though I don't think he had a good game and missed two decent chances.

Waggy MOTM for me.

Elliot made too many mistakes, messed up for their free kick (beaten from distance again) and poor distribution.

Oh, it wasn't Elliot? Keeper was solid then, never kicked into touch, never miscommunicated with defence and the being beaten from outside the box not his fault

I disagree i thought michael stewart played very well and the freeckick was unstopable however the wall should of been organised better
  • Options
    Expected worse, ok performance but ultimately another defeat.
  • Options
    I thought the first half started well, but then faded. Saying that, we did still create chances, but I feel it was even. Second half was alot more entertaining for the both sets of fans. There was alot of goal-mouth action, where I think we should of scored at least one! I think today showed just how poor Fortune is incase anyone still had any belief there was something there. I think Stuart is a good player with great organisation skills, but there is definitely something missing in his game. He looks half a yard slower than other players when he is chasing them. I would also like to say that Wagstaff is the hardest working player I've seen for a while, and that him and Solly have a great partnership down that right side. Bessone got ripped to pieces by their pretty poor right midfielder, who literally pushed the ball down the flank and tried to deliver, but to no avail, in essence, he could of caused us alot more problems ( I was quite surprised Bessone was getting torn apart like this because I like him as a player)

I though Semedo played well today, he could make some more challenges because he actually has the ability to tackle e.g. in the first hlaf when their quick right winger was running at him and he was patient, and made a solid clean tackle, which Bessone had massive trouble with. I like the way he intercepts the passes, and sometimes seems 1 step ahead mentally. Keeper also impressed me today.

Benson worked hard again, but he just never looks like scoring. Wright Phillips done ok in some regards, but he annoys me when I hear him slagging other players off for not knocking the ball in the channel. Wait a minute - Solly done this 3 times in the first half and you done nothing BWP.

WHY can't we have a striker just like their striker. He caused both our centre backs so many problems, made the ball stick, and actually had pace. I would also recommend that black striker for Tranmere, they both would be useful for us.

In all, I believe that today we looked like we have some promise, and although we lost 1-nil we didnt deserve to lose, and maybe should/could of got something from the game. Finally, I would hope most agree that it was great to see in the second half that every player was actually dieing to stop the ball from going in the net, which was great.

Sorry for long post but in whole it was an OK game. If we won it would have been a good game!
  • Options
    Didn't go today, sounds like we played quite well.

So is the football we are playing getting better as the players get used to Powell's style?... Or is it down to the better weather and a more attacking team giving us more space to play decent football?
  • Options
    bensons best game for us so far
  • Options
    Stewart lead by example for 90mins, his organising on the pitch was a breath of fresh air and he always wanted the ball. If he's here next season he should be captain.

Huddersfields no. 32 was a dirty cheat. He typifies everything I dislike about the modern day footballer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Prague, one of our better performances, with the exception of brighton, we play ok against the better teams at home, we struggle to breakdown the backs to the wall, closing down,men behind the ball team. it was a good game today, although I was disappointed with Huddersfield who did not look like a team who is trying to get 2nd place.

We have some nice little partnerships Solly Waggy, Semedo Racon. Thought Sullivan looked assured and would be an interesting consideration for a permanent move, John Fortune very poor,Bessone shaky start.

Lets hope we can win against rovers and put a strong run for the end of the season, although the evidence so far does not really support the likelihood, after all whatever the performance we have not picked up any points.

Ps Only one sub used, whats that about?
  • Options
    Doom and gloom on the train back to Waterloo. Mutterings about 1 win in 15 games etc.
    Team played with shape and purpose and we were unlucky not to gain a point. Might have nicked a result with a bit of luck but fortune was smiling on Huddersfield today.
    Positives were Solly, who is well balanced and can pass the ball so doesn't make mistakes or hoof as much as the hapless Francis.
    Sullivan played well and Doc was immense.
    Stewart was very vocal and holds his position. He doesn't go missing like Racon (who didn't really get into the game today.)
    BWP played well in the second half, as did Waggy and Benson was alright.
    Reid continues to be out of sorts. On form he could have made the difference today.
    I am glad I went despite the result. Good to see the team being clapped off the field at the end.
  • Options
    Semedo is a hard worker and Racon Played poor. Bessone shouldn't be in the side
  • Options
    Thought it was just about what I expected tbh. Decent enough performance but beaten by a thunderous free kick
    Which IMHO would have beaten any GK. Huddersfield were not all that and very similar in style and stature to Southampton. Getting the ball down and passing was not their first best option. distinct signs that CP is starting to instill his ethos onto the team, we certainly were the better football side. Radical surgery still essential in the summer and I still hope for a completely new back five, three midfielders and three up front. Can't wait for this shit season to end.
  • Options
    Thought Stewart was left chasing the game a lot by Kilbane and the other HT CM. On the ball he did well enough but two good chances blasted over.

I like him.
  • Options
    Thought Stewart was left chasing the game a lot by Kilbane and the other HT CM. On the ball he did well enough but two good chances blasted over.

I like him.
  • Options
    so why did Parky and Powell keep playing that prick Francis for so long
  • Options
    That's always been question mate that needed answering was my biggest frustration.

Solly is easily capable at this level just needed a run out imo
  • Options
    oh and one other post match thought, LEE CLARK IS A LUCKY FAT GOERDIE CU*T
  • Options
    Before the game I thought the Terriers would destroy us with waves of attacks and lots of movement, however they were well below par and recorded a lucky win. Their center backs were their best players making some good blocks that may have thwarted a goal. They then scored with their only effort on target and it is the points that count. but play like that every game next season and we will be there or thereabouts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Like the look of Sullivan but his kicking is ropey, Solly and Benson had good games, Wagstaff was my MOTM, ran his socks off.
    What was those first half clearances all about by Fortune?
  • Options
    Think we were unlucky not to get anything out of that game. Huddersfield were a bit cynical and some of their players feigning injury was laughable. Hunt in particular going down like a sack of spuds in the penalty area in the first half was disgraceful. I don't remember too many chances where they really troubled us until they scored late on but then you could sense something like that happening as the game wore on when we didn't take one of our decent chances. Waggy and Stewart in particular were guilty of fluffing great chances and then, typically for this season, we hand them one on a plate. Thought that bringing Reid on was a huge mistake especially when he replaced Racon who was doing OK. Summed him up when he trod on the ball as he was running towards goal at the end. Benson and Phillips worked their socks off today, defenders didn't do much wrong ( apart from Fortunes first half slice in the penalty area! ). Midfield worked well with Stewart in the middle and in my opinion Benno was our Man of The Match. Overall we lacked a bit of quality in front of goal which cost us another point or three but not disheartened as we played some decent football at times.
  • Options
    I think Reid lost us the game today, may be controversial but there was no reason to jump with his hands in the air there, and the final bit of play where he stood on the ball? Sums him up this season, he may have all the talent in the world, but he hasn't shown it to us. People may say he's got the potential to single handedly win us games, can someone point to a single match this season where he has done anything to show us this?

I thought Racon and Waggy played well today, Solly is ok, but he's too slow in his distribution, he gets plenty of chances to cross the ball, but ends up playing another one-two with Waggy. I'd still have him over Francis though. Bessone doesn't look too good, I hope he won't end up here as first choice next season, and Stewart is ok too, but slightly wasteful and has a mouth on him, which will get him in trouble. Doherty and Fortune DOES NOT WORK, the way Llera has been playing I would have him straight back in for the final 4 games now. Sullivan isn't any different to Worner, and like all our keepers cannot kick to save his life.
  • Options
    Sorry if I digress but the season is not over yet.............Palace losing to Scunny makes their relegation fight that little bit tighter. Come on the Iron! In the immortal words of Keggy Keegan "i'd love it if they went down, I'd love it!".
  • Options
    ok performance, couple of ten minutes spells when we looked very good. Impressed with Stewart, one chance blazed over but another well saved. Would like to see Stewart alongside Parrett to see if they can form an effective partnership for next season but hey ho we can't drop Jose our box to box defensive wall can we. Waggy was MOM, Solly had a good solid game and is finally nearly up to speed fitness wise, bye bye Francis. Racon was back to the old Racon so either a) has agreed a new contract or b) some mug club elsewhere has offered him one, hopefully the latter. Lack of subs was baffling, why bother extending Nouble's and how long before Eccles flounces off back to Liverpool and who could blame him. Please, please for the last few games can we see cameos from Freddie Warren, Callum Harriott and the like. Twenty minutes near the end will give them a taste of it. I mean Reid, what is he all about ?

Roll on next season.

PS - Well done whoever for getting a PL side down The Valley for a pre season friendly.
  • Options
    didnt deserve to lose, neither keeper was really tested, thought we played well at times.
  • Options
    If Huddersfield are in contention for automatic promotion there is hope for us all. Masssive gorillas humping the ball in the air and incapable of any basic skill on the floor. Pathetic and the worse I have see at the Valley since the Oldham Dog Show and that was ugly.

Agree with most positive comments about our performance apart from Racon who was a passenger today.

My biggest worry today was Saint Christopher..

Why leave Racon on for so long when he was clearly having one of his French huffs?
    At 65-70 mins we were in the ascendancy and pressing for a goal with the crowd up for it. Why not be bold and bring on a striker and go for the kill?
    At 1-0 down on 82mins why not throw the kitchen sink at them?
    What was the point of playing old slow Doc up front when we had two fast strikers on the bench? It just looked comical watching the poor old wheezer trying to chase long through balls.
    Benno was great today but was clearly knackered after his late injury. Why not change him for the last 10?

Never criticised Saint Christopher before and I support his attempts to play decent football but I detected distinct dithering and lack of balls today which concerns me.
  • Options
    I thought we deserved a draw but it wasn't to be.

Sullivan looked solid in goal and willing to command his area. Solly and Waggy combined well on the right and Waggy seemed to compete physically more than normal which is an encouraging sign. Given time he could become another John Robinson which is meant as a compliment.

Bessone looked shaky in the first half but that guy Hunt looked quick and he (Bessone) stuck to his task well and looked far more comfortable in the second half.

In short everybody performed reasonably but nobody was outstanding enough to create the little spark that might have won it for us or, as it transpired, to get us back in it.

To be honest I was there in body but not particularly in spirit at the end I felt pretty indifferent whereas normally I'm either happy or disappointed.

Maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    Good performance, very pleased with Benson, looked like Bessone was going to have a torrid time of it during the first 15 mins but he seemed to have the measure of Hunt after that. CD and left wing needs attention - anyone know why Docherty was playing up front at the end when Nouble and Eccles were on the bench? Does SCP have a phobia about substitutes?
  • Options
    We didn't take our chances and paid for it.

We were unlucky not to take a point. Positives were Waggy having his best game in months, Benson did well again.

Need a new defence in the summer, don't particularly rate Bessone seems like he always has a error in him.

Do the question about why Francis was played so much was because Solly got injured after the Orient game and wasn't fit till the new year. Glad to see him finally getting his chance.