Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells substitutions

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
Is it only me that thinks that his changes occur to late in a game? He only made 1 change today and that was with only 10 minutes left. We have two forwards loaned from the PL on our bench, yet when we are 1-0 down we prefer to shove Docherty upfront instead??? Inexperience as a manager, incompetence or is it meant to be that way???

I can't see how it helps!

Comments

• Options
    agree entirely. If we are not going to play Nouble, Eccles and even Parratt then why bother with them ? Should have made changes after an hour and gone for it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]agree entirely. If we are not going to play Nouble, Eccles and even Parratt then why bother with them ? Should have made changes after an hour and gone for it.

We extend loans and pay their wages to sit in reserve.
  • Options
    Agree with what has been said. He needs to learn to be pro active at times and go for it. Lee clark said today we had them on the rack,we needed to freshen things up then,not when were chasing the game. Throwing doc up front reminds me of the days we did the same with phil chapple
  • Options
    Have said this before it's a complete waste of time because they don't get to make any impact
  • Options
    CP is our manager.
    Like it or not, He is in charge.
    He decides who's on the pitch.
    Support Him & CAFC.
  • Options
    He's learning - let's hope he's a very quick learner.
  • Options
    # 7
    "He's learning"

Are you sure ? He's a dreadful excuse for a manager. Ithought pakinson was the pits but Chris powell is no better & looking at the quality of loans he's brought in like Bessone,nouble & stewart on trial there is nothing to show me that we'll be in any better a position this time next year than we are now. His substitutions are a joke, how is reid going to influence a game with 10 minutes left?

I've bought a season for next year but in the hope that the board realise what a monumental mistake they have made & pay CP off in the summer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]agree entirely. If we are not going to play Nouble, Eccles and even Parratt then why bother with them ? Should have made changes after an hour and gone for it.
    Expand. Was fine for 75 mins, and losing Racon was the wrong change imo.
  • Options
    Glad your onboard charltonbob, thats the spirit !
    Buy a season ticket and slag the manager off 4 months before the season starts !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ishgit[/cite]CP is our manager.
    Like it or not, He is in charge.
    He decides who's on the pitch.
    Support Him & CAFC.

The lack of home attendance may show the way people are thinking at present...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with you charltonbob.

Last 15 games reads 1 win, 4 draws, 11 defeats - 7 points from a possible 45.

Chris Powell is a joke he hasn't got a clue how to manage. He is so out of his depth it has become laughable. Next season with him in charge the only way we will get out of this division is to go down to Division 2.
  • Options
    I know, can see that all is not rose gardens.
    But, CP is the manager.
    "We" support Charlton.
    ergo: We support CP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]# 7
    "He's learning"

Are you sure ? He's a dreadful excuse for a manager. Ithought pakinson was the pits but Chris powell is no better & looking at the quality of loans he's brought in like Bessone,nouble & stewart on trial there is nothing to show me that we'll be in any better a position this time next year than we are now. His substitutions are a joke, how is reid going to influence a game with 10 minutes left?

I've bought a season for next year but in the hope that the board realise what a monumental mistake they have made & pay CP off in the summer
    [cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]I agree with you charltonbob.

Chris Powell is a joke he hasn't got a clue how to manage. He is so out of his depth it has become laughable. Next season with him in charge the only way we will get out of this division is to go down to Division 2.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. No reasoned assessment can be made until next season. And these most certainly are not reasoned assessments!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]I agree with you charltonbob.

So from the last 15 games we got 16 results?
  • Options
    Glad your onboard charltonbob, thats the spirit !
    Buy a season ticket and slag the manager off 4 months before the season starts !

So oldgit are you suggesting that I shouldn't buy a season ticket because my head isn't buried up my arse & can see the disaster awaiting us.

Or should i not be allowed to voice an opinion unless it agrees with yours ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]I thought pakinson was the pits but Chris powell is no better

I'm afraid you're part of the problem then. Parkinson was the pits, Chris Powell even worse, the next man?
  • Options
    Ken Craggs?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Glad your onboard charltonbob, thats the spirit !

So oldgit are you suggesting that I shouldn't buy a season ticket because my head isn't buried up my arse & can see the disaster awaiting us.

Or should i not be allowed to voice an opinion unless it agrees with yours ?

Not at-all "Bob", everyone has opinions.
    Mine happens to be that the fact that I'm a CAFC "Supporter" I "Support" the Team.
    I cannot and never will understand why "supporters" "Boo" their team. I always think that the "supporter" bit gives aclue what you should do.
    As I say, that is My opinion.
  • Options
    You pays your money......
  • Options
    Yep overall i can see the team TRYING to pass the ball around on the deck.
    But the changes or lack of, are the problem for me.

With the game quite evenly balanced around the 70 minute mark, bringing on Ecclestone and replacing the hopeless Benson with Nouble could have won us the game.
    The tiring legs of Hudds would have struggled to cope with those two.

Oh well, another week of wages down the drain, for two players who don't get a look in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Are you sure ? He's a dreadful excuse for a manager. Ithought pakinson was the pits but Chris powell is no better & looking at the quality of loans he's brought in like Bessone,nouble & stewart on trial there is nothing to show me that we'll be in any better a position this time next year than we are now. His substitutions are a joke, how is reid going to influence a game with 10 minutes left?[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people on here, whether they admit it or not, and whether they liked the guy personally or not,
    DID think Parky was the pits as a manager. That is until you see what has happened since his demise. I think I'll
    agree more with the poster who once said something like....."when Parky was sacked, we were 5th. Now......."
  • Options
    Oh well at least no one has turned this into another Parky vs Powell thread!

Get a grip.... Parky has gone, and he was not the f**ckin oracle with the answer to all our prayers. In fact he was one of the worst managers we have ever had in the grand scheme of things.

Powell is here and moaning about his substitutions (or lack of) in a meaningless game gets you nowhere. Wait to see if he fails with HIS new signings next season, then you can all have your I TOLD YOU SO DAY and boo all the players off. Maybe, just maybe, you might be happy then. This season has been over for weeks, why not invest the energy you put into moaning by backing the new owners and management and seeing where that gets us. Just a change of emphasis I know, but it might just work...
  • Options
    Thinking back, I have always been mystified on occasion by substitutions or lack of from our managers - I remember being frustrated by Curbs in this respect once or twice, so it's nothing new. We just have to accept that CP is the manager, it's his decision.
  • Options
    I wish I had the blind faith of those that seem to believe that all will be well next season, all I have is hope and that is contrary to expectation, which can only be based on the evidence so far.
  • Options
    This season has been over for a while and I can't help but think Powell's choices of who plays and who doesn't might just reflect the decisions he'll have to make in a few weeks.
    Why play loanees we know we won't be keeping? Or players seen as dead wood? Why not use these last few games as a test to see which of these current possibles are up to the job? See who works well with who, who can't pass for sh*t, who works hard playing games that are now meaningless.
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    If it was down to some in here we'd have a new manager every six months!
    Bringing Powell in was always going to be at the sacrifice of promotion this year, they alluded to that when he was hired. It's just made harder to swallow because we were 5th when he arrived and won four on the trot. Under the new regime this is just the one step backwards to go two forward. We are building to not just try and go up next year but be in a position to keep improving after that. It takes time to do that. Performances like yesterday show that it's heading in the right direction albeit slowly and unless you have tons of cash to buy instant success this is the way we have to do it. We have grown impatient as a fan base which is understandable but we are going to have to just hold back a little while, watch what happens in the summer and go again next year.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Lost Red[/cite]Oh well at least no one has turned this into another Parky vs Powell thread!

Get a grip.... Parky has gone, and he was not the f**ckin oracle with the answer to all our prayers. In fact he was one of the worst managers we have ever had in the grand scheme of things.

Powell is here and moaning about his substitutions (or lack of) in a meaningless game gets you nowhere. Wait to see if he fails with HIS new signings next season, then you can all have your I TOLD YOU SO DAY and boo all the players off. Maybe, just maybe, you might be happy then. This season has been over for weeks, why not invest the energy you put into moaning by backing the new owners and management and seeing where that gets us. Just a change of emphasis I know, but it might just work...

At last! Someone on this forum is talking a bit of sense.