Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell still weighing up Addicks squad

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8979780.Powell_still_weighing_up_Addicks_squad/

Comments

• Options
    8 players from the current squad to be kept and 4 new players from abroad to come in - all european.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: cafc999[/cite]8 players from the current squad to be kept and 4 new players from abroad to come in - all european.

Just 12 players. Well at least there won't be any players unhappy that they're not in the match day squad and Powell won't have to think too much about substitutions.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Bit worrying he doesn't know at this stage!

BWP, Semedo and Jackson (1st team)

Elliott, Solly, Wagstaff, Racon, Benson and possibly Bessone, Daily, Llera, Stewart (2nd eleven).

There you are Chris, up to you to fill in the blanks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Bit worrying he doesn't know at this stage!

Elliott, Solly, Wagstaff, Racon, Benson and possibly Bessone, Daily, Llera, Stewart (2nd eleven).

he'll know, trust me - hardly gonna announce it now though is he !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Bit worrying he doesn't know at this stage!

he'll know, trust me - hardly gonna announce it now though is he !

what he said.
  • Options
    Lets have a big brother style event, the next two home games each player gets 10 seconds with dave on the pitch to plead with us why they should stay, then we get to vote on who stays and who goes.. we can print there voting numbers on there shirts so we can vote during the games. after rochdale 3 are realeased at fulltime get dermot o'leary down to do it at the full time whistle. just remeber txts cost 30p from a landline and significantly more from mobiles and please get the bills payers permision before dailling.
  • Options
    It's some of the players that probably don't know yet. They have no rush to make a decision, they can wait and see what offers they get.
  • Options
    From what I heard at the weekend only 3 of the starting 11Vs Huddersfield will be at the club next season.

Solly, Waggy and BWP

No idea if its true but came from someone in the directors box (admittedly not a director)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]From what I heard at the weekend only 3 of the starting 11Vs Huddersfield will be at the club next season.

Solly, Waggy and BWP

No idea if its true but came from someone in the directors box (admittedly not a director)

jim davidson stiring it up again..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]From what I heard at the weekend only 3 of the starting 11Vs Huddersfield will be at the club next season.

Solly, Waggy and BWP

jim davidson stiring it up again..

LOL

Still it should make for an interesting, and busy, summer as we ship not just 12 or 13 out of contract players but 5 or 6 more who are in contract and then bring in, I assume, another 20 players to flesh out the squad.

And if they are better players than we have then bring it on I say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I thought CP was brought in to coach our current players to be better players!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]And I thought CP was brought in to coach our current players to be better players!

Mission Impossible with some of the clowns we have!
  • Options

Solly, Waggy and BWP

My understanding is that we aim to do a Brighton next year so wouldn't be surprised although i also think Doherty will stay.
  • Options
    I think he finally understands the problem here:

"I do want the players to pass and use the ball well but also have a cutting edge to them and I think that’s the difference.

“You can keep possession but if you’re not getting crosses in and making their defenders work then you’re not going anywhere, but we did that today.”

This has been our biggest problem for about 2-3 years now since Reid left. We do not have anyone who can create a chance out of nothing. Shelvey was capable of it but Parkinson didn't play him.
  • Options
    I would buy the argument about changing our style of play if were getting loads of nil nils, but let's face it, both defence and attack are poor, the former being worse, and you can't win games without firing on both cylinders so to speak
  • Options
    I thought Stewart looked like someone who could pick a pass, so keep him, otherwise, renew and revitalize the team
  • Options
    We are going to have to be realistic on two levels imho, firstly there is no point changing the whole squad (16 plus players) and we are not Citehh so need to be realistic about targets.

Players such as Benno, Doc and Elliot are contracted next season, therefore if they are not to be first choice, they are good enough to be back ups
    BWP, Solly and Jackson are contracted and i would imagine are valued as first teamers for next year.
    Francis and McOxo may also be under contract but would hope they will be sold/let go.

Other players out of contract, well that is up to Powell but can see 2-3 staying, maybe Waggy and one of Semedo/Racon.

As for the loans, can't see any of them returning. Would like to see Stewart sign a longer deal however.
  • Options
    Surely its easier to say who wont be here next season!?

After seing how some of them have played, its much easier to delete them form the list of playing staff than starting with a blank sheet of paper.
  • Options
    Well, all this certainly explains why performances and results have been so poor.
  • Options
    What Henry said. This is encouraging. This could be one of the most exciting close seasons we have ever had as we seek to divine the true nature of this takeover - it will be fascinating to see who gets their P45's and who is ends up being shown around Sparrows Lane/houses in Chislehurst!

The rumours will be half the fun and I reckon the CL grapevine will be going into overdrive during July/August!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's start some rumours now.......robbie to newcastle & semedo to palace.....you heard it here first!

Sorry, I forgot to include the following line.....I got told by a close source of the club that.........
  • Options
    You forgot to put FACT at the end of the sentence.

That makes it a PROPER rumour!

I wonder how big the 'rumours' thread will be by the end of August?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I agree- Doherty will stay and if we can get a pacy centre half to play alongside him, I think that will be a good thing. I think the club will try to keep hold of Semedo and with Racon, it will depend on the interest from other clubs. I'm pretty sure Benson will stay although I expect him to be viewed as a squad player. Think Fortune won't be kept on, despite doing ok recently, I think his legs have gone and Chrissy will know it. Maybe he could stay on a month to month basis depending on what we get in and whether anybody else comes in for him. We may keep Bessone but I expect another left back to be added. Also expect Francis to be kept on and Reid might want to leave, will any club want to pay for him given that he is still under contract. probably worth perservering with as last season showed he can be decent. I think we will try to keep Stewart but he'll probably be checking his other options.
  • Options
    If it means Semedo and co are off then with Vetere involved we could see the next Semedo/Racon jetting in from the French/Portugese lower leagues having not played in English football.

Don't think it feasible to swap out an entire 20 man squad for a entirely new one and hope everything falls into place come August. I hope it does, but surely it would have been better to do some rebuilding in January and given a few players 6 months to get used to CP and what he wants.

It's going to be a exciting summer, although I will be sad to see Semedo and Racon go...I hope we don't sign a load of Moutaoukils and McLeods again and put them on big wages though....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Don't think it feasible to swap out an entire 20 man squad for a entirely new one and hope everything falls into place come August. I hope it does,.

You mean like at the end of the last season?

[cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite], but surely it would have been better to do some rebuilding in January and given a few players 6 months to get used to CP and what he wants..

After all we have had to, why should they have missed out.
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]it's going to be a exciting summer

Again
  • Options
    I think those of you expecting 12 players out and 20 in could be dissapointed. This squad can challenge for the top two wit 5 or 6 out and 4 or so in IMO. This division is not about having an amazing team, it's about having a good spine and most of all about playing with confidence.

Bournemouth, Rochdale etc have much worse squads than us yet they have had successful seasons because they don't lack believe as we seem to.
  • Options
    if semedo goes i hope he goes abroad would hate to see him at another club in england
  • Options
    think you may see sullivan staying...dont think your see any of the back four next season except solly, stewart benno semedo waggy and bwp will stay imo..unless there are any clauses in BWP contract where he can go for a price or because we haven't gone up this season
  • Options
    If he is weighing up the squad better not get Benni Mcarthy in.He will use up all the allowance/
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Players to keep,

BWP, Wagstaff, Elliot, Solly & Jackson but I feel BWP may get sold in summer as he's too good for this division. What has happened to Reid this season? Not half the player he was last year.

Please release Racon & Semedo high earners and like i said before (some where on here) they're apart of Pardew's "bad omen" team and nothing as been good since they have been with us. But if we're gonna keep one of them keep Semedo, Racon being a more tidier player but Semedo far more consistent. And we've gotta consider our four Centre Halfs, I'd release all of them they are useless and slow.

I really hope we look for Championship/Good League One players to get us out of this mess and not resort to lower league likely lads and greedy (think they're too good for us) Premier league youngsters.

I wouldn't of minded Benni McCarthy but hes too greedy.

Would love to know how much CP is given to spend in summer, surely the £1m we got for Jenkinson goes straight into the war chest?