Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jordan & Israel

Thinking of going this summer to the above. Definitely Amman, Petra, Jerusalem and, Tel Aviv & possibly others. Anyone been? Any recommendations or things to avoid?

Comments

• Options
    Difference between Dwight Yorke & Israel?

Israel knew when to pull out of Jordan
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Difference between Dwight Yorke & Israel?

Israel knew when to pull out of Jordan

While we're at it, apparently Jordan and Dwight Yorke are still having a custody battle over their kid, Harvey,.....sadly someone will end up losing the court case and have to keep him!
  • Options
    id say you gotta go to the dead sea mate, very strange being able to stand up straight (with ya hands by ya sides and ya feet together) in water without sinking... what ever you do keep ya mouth shut and dont splash any of the water in your eyes.
    eilat is the cool and funky place to go, nice beaches, clubs and bars, scooba diving, if ya lucky you'll get some dolphins come and say hello while your swimming in the sea.
    wailing wall is well worth a look too in jerusalem, if you still can go to the bottom left of the wall and you can look down into the old city (jerusalem is built on top of the old one) and have a walk round the old town. dont hang around bus stations too long if you catch me drift, even better if you can, avoid getting the bus at all! obviously keep clear of the gaza strip and the west bank too.
    the women are a nice mix between spanish and italian looking, weathers good.
    jordan is pricey and dont know if its still hard to get a visa but the hidden temples are quite amazing... hope this quick few words help ya a bit, in all a very interesting exciting place to visit, you shouldnt be disapointed.
    i lived there for a bit and can honestly say they were some great times!
  • Options
    Thanks bloodnut.
    I'd heard good things about Eilat, is it Tel Aviv's smaller & cooler little brother?
    Take your point re bus station, but probably unavoidable as trains non existant?
    You can get the visa for Jordan when you arrive, seems straightforward enough.
    Any thoughts re problems elsewhere in the middle east escalating to Jordan?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jerusalem is amazing. I've not experienced anywhere else quite like it, although I was on a bit of a nostalgia trip as my Dad served in Palestine until 1947. I listened to all his stories as a kid, and marvelled at the black & white photographs he took when he was out there. He was there at the time of the King David's Hotel bombing, but he had loads of 'everyday' pictures, plus some of the Wailing Wall etc.

As a tourist, you'll get targetted, so keep your wits about you ... and avoid wandering into the wrong parts of town. I saw some very ugly incidents when I was there 12 years or so back. I was there on business and on my own. I'd be nervous about taking a family ... easier to look after yourself when you don't have kids in tow.

There is a railway from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Single track in places when I was there, but maybe upgraded now.

Get yourself up the coast a bit. I stayed in Zihron Ya'akov and found some fabulous restaurants overlooking the Med. As you'd imagine, the fish is quite superb.

The people I met were fascinating. I'm not Jewish, but the culture intrigues me. I met some people who were very orthodox and they were some of the kindest, friendliest ... and strangest people I have ever met.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]As you'd imagine, the fish is quite superb.

Agree with this ... some of the seafood dishes are fantastic, even in Tel Aviv.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention ...

... surprisingly you can still buy bits of the original cross. In fact, there are hundreds of vendors.

It must have been huge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SheffieldRed[/cite]Thanks bloodnut.
    I'd heard good things about Eilat, is it Tel Aviv's smaller & cooler little brother?
    Take your point re bus station, but probably unavoidable as trains non existant?
    You can get the visa for Jordan when you arrive, seems straightforward enough.
    Any thoughts re problems elsewhere in the middle east escalating to Jordan?

tel aviv is more 'cityfied' and eilat is more chilled and 'beach resortish' if you catch me drift!?

yea what i was trying to say is you can get cabs cheap out there, so when you just want to get about town id say get a cab, cutting down ya chances of finding bother, though when you want to travel around the country then the buses are really the only way BUT they are comfy and all air conditioned. you'll get used to seeing army types walking on with guns and that flopped over their shoulders, just a way of life out there as they still do national service.

thats cool about the visa, things changing all the time out there as far as who can go where ect. ect... though if you get really stuck you can swim across the dead sea into jordan from the israel side, (i done it, though i swam straight back but liked the thought of saying i swam to jordan from israel) with no fear of drowning cos you couldnt sink if you tried ;o)

jordan is much safer than israel, very low crime rate and hot on people braking the law foreign or not, advised to not get to drunk in jordan as it doesnt go down too well. just be sensible mate and respect local traditons and law and you cant go wrong really!