Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do you pronounce the names of foreign teams?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am a polyglot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Which team is Madrid? Athletico or Real?
    It's 'Atletico' - no 'h', and apparently you can just call them Atletico, with no Madrid involved. Bilbao do spell their Athletico with the 'h' to show their English origins.
    I once saw an end of season derby between Rayo Vallecano and Atletico, and based on that I'd say Rayo are about the size of Barnet, so I'm not sure they really count. My impression is that Getafe is a bit like Watford - sort of part of the capital, but not really.
  • Options
    One club in europe went and changed the spelling of the club as nobody outside the county could pronounce the name correctly,the club was Feijenoord.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]
    It's 'Atletico' - no 'h', and apparently you can just call them Atletico, with no Madrid involved. Bilbao do spell their Athletico with the 'h' to show their English origins.
    I once saw an end of season derby between Rayo Vallecano and Atletico, and based on that I'd say Rayo are about the size of Barnet, so I'm not sure they really count. My impression is that Getafe is a bit like Watford - sort of part of the capital, but not really.

Rayo Vallecano made the top flight when I was living in Madrid. The game I saw (vs Real Madrid ... aka 'Madrid') had about 20,000 there so a bit bigger than Barnet.

I'm with you on the 'Getafe is the Watford of Madrid' bit though.
  • Options
    Always pronounced FC Koln as 'Koln' and not 'Cologne'
  • Options
    Do we say Mill wall or Der tee scum?
  • Options
    Span-Nahrs
  • Options
    So how do you pronounce Dirk Kuyt?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Uboat[/cite]

Rayo Vallecano made the top flight when I was living in Madrid. The game I saw (vs Real Madrid ... aka 'Madrid') had about 20,000 there so a bit bigger than Barnet.

I'm with you on the 'Getafe is the Watford of Madrid' bit though.

Ah, that does make them a bit bigger than Barnet. They were the away side and had about 20 fans for a last day relegation six pointer, but that's Spanish football culture I suppose.