Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quickest Charlton Goal

It says on wikipedia that it was by jim melrose in 9 (yes nine) seconds.
Can anyone confirm to what extent this is true, seeing as 9 seconds seems a bit too short for me.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2011
    And I was there. It was away to West Ham, can't remember the year. obviously about 20 yrs ago.
  • Options
    Yes it was that quick.
  • Options
    It was indeed 9 seconds and even more mad was the fact that West Ham had the kick off
  • Options
    Jim Melrose scored it in a 3-1 win on 25th. October 1986. Cottee lost the ball after he and Goddard kicked off and Robert Lee passed for JM to score. That's how I remember it anyway. Got the West Ham video of it somewhere in the loft.
  • Options
    I was there didn't stand, was in the seats in the main stand near the West Ham end, forgot where I was jumped up and expected a good kicking to my surprise there were loads of Charlton in there.Second goal was a corker by Walsh I think and John Pearson got the third.
  • Options
    I was still at the turnstiles when we heard the roar - loads of reds there that day.
  • Options
    One of my favourite all time Charlton memories.

Cottee and Goddard kick off, back to Tony Gale, Gale tries to play it forward but Robert Lee nips in and gets his head to it, straight into the path off the onrushing Jimmy Melrose who strokes it past big Phil Parkes and his massive tash. 0-1.

Have got it on video. My old man rang up the West Ham shop to get a copy and they said, "Oh no, not another Charlton fan!"

Best bit about the video is that they have Alvin Martin, the (injured) West Ham captain doinvg the co-commentary and the two of them are wittering on about how Charlton are a difficult team to break down as they tend to sit back and try to absorb pressure before eventually coming out of their shell a bit more in the second half.

9 seconds in and the commentator says, "Well, what happened there then Alvin?". Cue stunned silence from AV.

NSS is right, Walsh scored a cracking 25 yarder and big John Pearson got the third, running through at his fastest pace (ie dead slow) from a suspiciously offside looking position. My first ever away game. Happy happy days.
  • Options
    What a brilliant day that was, one up after 9 seconds and then Walsh hit the underside of the bar after about 3 minutes so it could have been even better. Then he belted in a scorcher from 25 yards and John Pearson wrapped it up late in the game. Remember there were loads of Charlton there that day and to make things better 2 of my West Ham mates gave me a lift there and back.

There must be some footage online of that 9 second goal?
  • Options
    I was there with my two brothers (Large & jimmy melrose !) and its was little jimmy's birthday - his 14th I think !!

can't think why he logs on under that "name"

lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just had a butcher's at some old videos (that aren't in the loft) and though the goal is not on the 'Eighties' tape it is on the Centenary DVD (disc 1). Walsh's and Pearce's goals aren't shown though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was theere. Also in the main stand as we had met the lino by chance on the train on the way up who had given us his comps - good day all round!
  • Options
    Was in the WH end: Said to amate on the way that if Melrose was playing (He had a late fitness test) that the West Ham defenders should be careful as He was quick....
  • Options
    Remember the day well, some good characters in that team. We could use a few of them now.
    Recall queueing up to get in the main stand and all I could hear was Charlton. Fantastic support that day.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I was still at the turnstiles when we heard the roar - loads of reds there that day.[/quote]

Yeap, I too was still tryingto get in when the roar went up. The shitbag on the gate told me it was a West Spam goal and i couldn't understand why we were all so happy!
  • Options
    i was there at west ham my dad had gone to the toliet when he heard a loud roar he said to his girl friend hurry up wes
    t ham have just come out , when a steward said no charlton have just scored !!, after west ham took the kick off
  • Options
    i remmember jim melrose 9 seconds goal like it was yestaday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite] Fantastic support that day.

"Charlton are back, Charlton are back, hello, hello!"

I also remember the copper losing his helmet in our end and it being thrown around to much cheering and amusement.

Jeez, that was almost 25 years ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltontotty[/cite]i was there at west ham my dad had gone to the toliet when he heard a loud roar he said to his girl friend hurry up wes
    t ham have just come out , when a steward said no charlton have just scored !!, after west ham took the kick off

If you're the girl who wears the charltontotty shirt with dyed blonde hair, then I admire how young you look. I would have said you were about 23 years old maximum, which would have meant you weren't born in October 1986.
  • Options
    I was there as well. Loved it - whole ground singing Bubbles completely silenced. Remember the copper's helmet too (fnarr fnarr). West Ham were mustard that year as well - McAvennie and Cottee up front. That little arsehole Mark Ward was playing for them too.
  • Options
    Blimey... was that 25 years ago... I would have been nine, must have gone with my uncle or Grandad... remember it well. Seem to remember John Pearson´s goal looking like it was in slow motion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltontotty[/cite]i was there at west ham my dad had gone to the toliet when he heard a loud roar he said to his girl friend hurry up wes

If you're the girl who wears the charltontotty shirt with dyed blonde hair, then I admire how young you look. I would have said you were about 23 years old maximum, which would have meant you weren't born in October 1986.

Seconded
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    melrosez.jpg
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: charltontotty[/cite]i was there at west ham my dad had gone to the toliet when he heard a loud roar he said to his girl friend hurry up wes
    t ham have just come out , when a steward said no charlton have just scored !!, after west ham took the kick off[/quote]

If you're the girl who wears the charltontotty shirt with dyed blonde hair, then I admire how young you look. I would have said you were about 23 years old maximum, which would have meant you weren't born in October 1986.[/quote]

thirded bull shite
  • Options
    That's quality Stig - thanks for that.

(Am also please that my memory is still in good working order and I called the sequence of events right earlier up the thread!)
  • Options
    so you are proper and not a plastic off it ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]so you are proper and not a plastic off it ;-)

I used to sponsor Mike Flanagan's socks NSS - how much more "proper" could I possibly be?!
    ;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]so you are proper and not a plastic off it ;-)[/quote]

I used to sponsor Mike Flanagan's socks NSS - how much more "proper" could I possibly be?!
    ;o)[/quote]

Pretty conclusive...

Great match and the start of a great month for Charlton which culminated in Lennie getting the manager of the month award. Naturally we lost every game in the following month and scored just one goal, which as IIRC an OG thanks to Glenn Roeder.
  • Options
    jimmy melrose scored hatrick that month, the song went on GOING TO DRAW GOING TO DRAW, WE WON IN OCTOBER, WE LOST IN NOVEMBER, DECEMBER WE'RE GOING TO DRAW
  • Options
    That was a great day out..i've still got the video of the game somewhere :)
  • Options
    I was one of those for whom the goal came too quickly. I was also at the turnstiles having spent too long in the Earl of Wakefield with West Ham mates. Our best win over the Hammers and a great day out.