Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recommend me some good books?

edited April 2011 in Not Sports Related
Got one of those Amazon Kindle things today. Can anyone recommend me some good books? Just read a great book about the life of a prison officer, anything like that would be great or Charlton / football / hooligan related, love to read about anything like that.

Comments

• The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Plenty of hooligans in there. Not much mention of Charlton though.
  • On the football front - anything by Simon Kuper
    a season with verona
    miracle of castel di sangro
    passovotchka
  • The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story
  • Really enjoyed this one by Mick Collins
    All round genius
  • United we stand is pretty good.
  • A Million Little Pieces is ok, if you like life stories, its not a biography but its about a guys time in rehab, been awhile since i read it so I dont remember the names but it would be easy to find, white book with lots of little coloured spots in it. Book shop could find it straight away for you, and I'm rambling on a bit now......
  • [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Can anyone recommend me some good books?

Raymond Murphy - English Grammar In Use
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Can anyone recommend me some good books?

:)
  • Football factory,Headhunters and England away all by John King. Don't let the football factory film put you off.
    Excellent literature for the more discerning football hooligan.
  • Serious question. Are all these "football hooligan" books a serious attempt to document and condemn the moronic thugs that participate in football related violence or just written to glorify the sad individuals in question ?
  • Sponsored links:

• The Damned United by David Peace
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Serious question. Are all these "football hooligan" books a serious attempt to document and condemn the moronic thugs that participate in football related violence or just written to glorify the sad individuals in question ?

No idea.The three i mentioned are all fiction.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Serious question. Are all these "football hooligan" books a serious attempt to document and condemn the moronic thugs that participate in football related violence or just written to glorify the sad individuals in question ?

No idea.The three i mentioned are all fiction.

Fair dos Carly but there are such books or am I wrong ?
  • Yep.And the second point you raised is probably more prevalent.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]The Damned United by David Peace
    Just watched the film - thoroughly enjoyed it. Was particularly impressed with how close they got to the look of the original people - with the exception of Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor who I thought was just right until they showed some footage of the real Taylor at the end of the film. I was surprised at just how thin he really was.
  • Agree with Carly Burn, that John King Trilogy is very entertaining.

The Jo Nesbo series is good, very well translated which is where I though the Steig Larsson books (dragon tattoo bird etc) fell down.
  • Million little pieces in Nick Frey.....cracker of a book
    Just started reading dragon tattoo bird, struggling so far, just got to the 100 page marker. Hard work
  • It does get better after the first bit, heavy going initially.
  • Yaking around the world Simon Hughes
  • [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]Can anyone recommend me some good books?

I bet you're a barrel of laughs down the pub!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the suggestions chaps. My first purchase was going to be Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson as I have never read it but it's not available on Kindle.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.
  • 'Who Made God' by Edgar Andrews - surprisingly good.
  • 'Shunt', the James Hunt biography is the ultimate holiday book.
  • Provided you don't kiss me by Duncan Hamilton - great book about Clough.
  • My first book on Kindle was The hare with the amber eyes. Now reading the second book of Neil Stephenson's trilogy; Quicksilver, The confusion, The system of the world which I have on my kindle although not found on amazon.
  • I thought Kindle would only read ebooks from the Amazon Kindle store?
  • I prefer auto-biography's and the ones I would recommend are Eric Clapton's, Booby Robson's, Rannulph Fiennes called Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know and finally Johnson Beharry VC called a Barefoot Solider. All of them a great read and very eye-opening.
  • "Without Feathers" Woody Allen
    "How Proust Can Change Your Life" Alain De Botton
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nichorob[/cite]I thought Kindle would only read ebooks from the Amazon Kindle store?[/quote]

I was sent the ebooks by email and then transferred them on to Kindle.