Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Sullivan (Fools and Horses writer, not...)

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Once again Chirpy, you've shown your worth. OFAH is the greatest comedy ever. Part of the reason I fell in love with South London.

RIP John Sullivan.

That is your opinion, I've stated mine. We can only give our own opinions on anything. We should respect each others and not pull each other up on them.

I really do not see how anyone could put OFAH above Fawlty Towers, Porridge or Dads Army to name but three.....

And I'd like you to qualify your dig at me young man.

OFAH was twice aas good as the other three combined IMO. Got the DVD set a fewcweeks back..........my kids laughed their socks off, so don't know where you got the dated bit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite] ...He did write Dear John ...
    Thought this was brilliant at the time. Haven't ever seen it repeated though, think it's a shame although it could be a blessing.
  • Options
    I agree that OFAH is dated but in a charming way and in a manner that preserves its rich historical context.

It's almost turned into a period piece when obviously it was written for a "here and now" audience at the time.

I must have seen each episode around twenty times, some more, and I still laugh at the same jokes even though I know exactly when they are coming.

The perfect mix of a funny, intriguing, contextualised and often moving "comedy".
  • Options
    RIP - he left a great legacy.
  • Options
    "Have that one on me Mrs. Boyd-Peterson"

Brilliant writer. RIP Mr. Sullivan and thanks for the joy.
  • Options
    RIP. OFaH the best sitcom ever and he came across as a down to earth and humble man.
  • Options
    RIP, although I will agree with Chirpy in that I would have Porridge & Fawlty Towers above OFAH.
  • Options
    Some of the story lines and one liners in Fools and Horses are great comedy. Some of the phrases from it have passed into the English language, and it benefited from a terrific cast. I thought Dear John was really good too.
  • Options
    Dear John just been shown on G.O.L.D: both series- was as good as I remember!

"that's the kind of guy I am!"