Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should fans be allowed to score refs?

After yesterday's refereeing debacle, I was wondering if there would be a way for the FA to set-up a system that enabled fans to score refs? Obviously it would need to be regulated in some shape or form, not just be an internet free for all. However, given a proper set-up and statistical rigour, it could be really enlightening. After all, isn't football supposed to be all about the fans? Why not let the fans have a more formal say on the performance of referees?

Comments

• Even those fans that have no understanding what so ever about the laws of the game?
  • No because it would just be ruled by bias. Shame there isn't some sort of system in place after yesterday though.
  • Would be pointless. If the manager says anything about the refs performance he gets fined and a touchline ban. Fans don't have a say. If we scored the ref yesterday cant see bristol rovers fans scoring him the same
  • Yes, with scissors, Stanley knives or kitchen implements (preferably blunt). Only joking ;-)
  • Active participation by the 4th official armed with video playback. That's all we need.

And we the fans should demand it, because it's just not good enough as it is.
  • Simply wouldn't work on the fans' bias. A team is 1-0 up, ref is on a 7 out of 10. He gives a last minute pen and team draws 1-1 and that mark suddenly shoots down to 4 or 5. That referee yesterday would have been marked low by us (and rightly so) so his club marks will have suffered and the assessor surely would have seen the handball as a major mistake so his assessment wouldn't have made pretty reading (again rightly so).
  • I don't think Refs should be judged by fans but I think the FA should hold them to a higher standard. The amount of shocking decisions refs have made that have cost us games is unacceptable and they need to sort out a peer review system like another ref who watches the game who ultimately decides how fair the ref had been
  • [cite]Posted By: McCormackforengland[/cite]I don't think Refs should be judged by fans but I think the FA should hold them to a higher standard. The amount of shocking decisions refs have made that have cost us games is unacceptable and they need to sort out a peer review system like another ref who watches the game who ultimately decides how fair the ref had been

They do that now with the assessor system and almost all assessors are either current or ex referees.
  • [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McCormackforengland[/cite]I don't think Refs should be judged by fans but I think the FA should hold them to a higher standard. The amount of shocking decisions refs have made that have cost us games is unacceptable and they need to sort out a peer review system like another ref who watches the game who ultimately decides how fair the ref had been

They do that now with the assessor system and almost all assessors are either current or ex referees.

And that is one of the major things wrong with referees and their assistants. Within their own world they are Gods seeking only to please themselves (and the FA etc). There desparately needs external input - from clubs and fans. They need to understand and accept openly their inadequacies. Then, perhaps, they will earn respect rather than demand it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2011
    Well the whole development, recruitment and retention of referees is governed by the FA so they'd be the ones to get feedback from clubs, fans and other third parties. I know many referees and I can say none 'demand' respect. They do the best they can (for pride in their performance and to get up merit tables and promotion) and make mistakes, that's human nature. The relationships between officials and clubs are improved in recent years mainly due to the Respect campaign. All mistakes are made genuinely, not for any other reason. I believe we do need to utilise technology to help referees as it's there and available, why not use it to help officials to get key decisions right? Then you'd probably see the general opinion of the standard of officiating improving.
  • edited April 2011
    No. Most football fans have little or no understanding of the laws of the game and the whole thing would be governed by bias. You only have to look at some of the stupid comments on this forum about 'corrupt referees', 'cheats' and the like to realise that the whole exercise would be pointless.

Referees may be many things - some are good and some are not so good and because they are human, they do get things wrong but corrupt and cheats they ain't!
  • lol no cos half of the crowd haven't a clue about the laws. and when teams lose most try and blame ref nowadays because they listen to wank managers like mark hugghes and ian holloway
  • If fans should demand (at least get them to lobby FIFA a lot harder) anything from the FA it's video replays.
  • I think one of the iasues with referees is that there is no transparency, it appears that 90% of the time the FA are happy with their performances. What would be good is if the three post match repoerts were made public,so that we could see what the two managers have marked and also the asessor.