Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

any 2 stroke handy folk on here?

edited April 2011 in Not Sports Related
I used too light a mix on the trimmer and its having issues staying running, getting power, could it be the spark plug has been damaged by my mixing issue?

(another one for my 'followers')

Ta

Comments

• #Iblameitontheroyalwedding
  • ha ha, can't use that carpet anymore by the way, they've banned it on t'allotment..
  • I dont think the plug would be stuffed, maybe remove and give it a wire brush and see how it looks. I'd suggest draining the tank, and filling it with a slighlty richer mix. If the plug looks ok, and your still having problems, the carby may need a clean.
  • ok tried emptying tank, haven't checked the plug yet, how does one clean the carb?

many thanks for you expertise
  • I find if I start working down the league tables, I can last more than 2 strokes. If its 2 stokres you want, then have a look at the New Bird on Countdown thread.
  • fnar fnar
  • OK dug out the manual online, here's what is says

Engine stutters, lacks power or stalls under load

1. spark plug soiled - clean and regap or replace
    2. air filter dirty - clean or replace air filter
    3. carb needs adjusting - contact authorised agent

hmmm
  • very possibly crud in the carb - blow it through with an airline
  • Best double entendre thread title in a while...
  • hmm ok interesting, but what does it mean?

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Best double entendre thread title in a while...

ha ha not intentional..
  • Carbs are not that difficult to adjust (the ones on cars aren't anyway)

There should be a nut or screw that adjusts the mixture somewhere. You may find it's a case of trial and error though.
  • Well, a "double entendre" is... - oh sorry, you were replying to another post Raz...
  • I intentionally left that vague to give you that handy opening - ooerr matron
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Carbs are not that difficult to adjust (the ones on cars aren't anyway)

There should be a nut or screw that adjusts the mixture somewhere. You may find it's a case of trial and error though.

trial and break it you mean

:)
  • I dont read manuals raz, it's against all DIY rules mate!
  • [cite]Posted By: ozaddick[/cite]I dont read manuals raz, it's against all DIY rules mate!

yeah its not too helpful anyhows..
  • if at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer.
  • if that doesnt work, use a bigger hammer
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2011
    Oh sorry I was working from the shouting as many expletives at it as possible to make it work method..

(darn it, just noticed there is a section on how to do those various maintenance tasks..)
  • RTFM dear boy, RTFM!
  • How old is the fuel you're using? Petrol goes 'off' over a period of months and this can cause mis-firing, poor starting etc. The mixture should be around 50 to 1 and to test for a spark get the missus to hold the plug whilst you pull the string: something shoul happen!
  • ha ha, well the original fuel was old however I got some new stuff and used that after draining it - no difference
  • as a 2-stroke italian scooter rider, it sounds like you may have mixed a bit rich? this causes the plug to get coated in oil and unable to fire. I'd suggest cleaning the plug, checking there's a spark and if that's all good, try it on just petrol with no oil (will be okay for a very short test). if that works, add your oil mixture and away you go.
  • edited April 2011
    If I had to speculate its more likely the mix was lacking oil rather than the opposite as I dilluted the tank by adding normal petrol, this was when the problems started although that coincided with a considerable period of disuse, the mix I use is one of those 100ml to 5 litre can normally.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]How old is the fuel you're using? Petrol goes 'off' over a period of months and this can cause mis-firing, poor starting etc. The mixture should be around 50 to 1 and to test for a spark get the missus to hold the plug whilst you pull the string: something shoul happen!

Oh yes! she'll get a belt, if she's holding the HT lead. And you'll get a clump : )
  • I'd be running too fast mate, even with my 'trouble'!
  • 2 stroke small carb always suffer from crap in fuel, sticky stuff.
    Spray carb inside with loads of WD40, let it dry out, this should get crap out of the jets. make sure you WD40 spark plug gap and wire brush.
    Should normally do the trick.