Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Damn & Blast!

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Very dissapointing today, we deserved a point & the performnce overall was excellent. Any individual criticisms have to be balanced against the sheer cost of the opposition.

So my marks out of 10:

Carson 8 - excellent again today, couldn't do much about the goal & kept us in it a couple of times
Sankofa 4/7 - given a torrid time in the first half by Bridge but recovered to have a solid second half - we need Young back in that spot though pdq.
Thatcher 7 - solid from Ben again, a hige improvemnt on Traore who is dragging Pompey down to his level judging by their recent results
HH 6 - shaky & his place is under threat i feel - too often ducked under headers & slowing down by teh game
Borat 7 - his usual self but moments of madness were few & far between - a good effort
Romm 6 - suprised he went off but as the commentator mentioned he is a brainless footballer, his asset is his pace but his delivery & final ball is usually woeful
Faye 3/7 - totally crap in the first half & his mental slowness & basic lack of control cost us the goal, hugely improved in the 2nd & unlucky not to score
Hughes 6 - quiet
Holland 7 - ran his heart out but no final ball for all his effort
Thomas 8 - teased his marker all afternoon, but our lack of numbers in the box meant hi sfinal ball was often pointless
Bent 8 - a huge amount of effort from Marcus, ran his socks off closing down but lacked any kind of support till Fat Jimmy arrived

JFH 7 - seemed up for it, woeful free kick towards the end but one of his better games
Lisbie 6 - too little, too late
Diawara 6 - didn't touch the ball

Biggest problem today was Wigan winning, our loss next week to Man Utd could see the gap widening to 8 points, not because Wigan will beat Arsenal at the Library Mk2 - but becuase they may well beat Watford in their game in hand the following Wednesday. That win for Wigan today was a killer.

Comments

• Options
    before joining charlton,i utterly,utterly detested thatcher (am still trying to get over it),but i thought he was excellent today and head and shoulders better than the rest of the defence.i didn't think faye was too bad either.spot on for bent.a great save from carson saved el kak.

without ever looking like winning,i thought we were a bit unlucky to lose,3 key players to come back + the bogeyman and there are still some straws left.
  • Options
    Agreed about the Wigan win. That is terrible for us.

When you look at Wigan's relatively easy run in (after the Gooners game), I think Sheffield United is the team to keep an eye on, as far as a team we could possibly catch.
  • Options
    Faye was a different player 2nd half and the best of the central midfield 3 - but he cost us the goal big time
  • Options
    I couldn't go today as it is my sons birthday. It seems that we put in a battling performance. To me that is the key to our chances. A draw today would have been a bonus. Good team spirit and work ethic plus hopefully DB back to get us some goals. None of the teams around us are going to go through the rest of the season without winning. We have to win six games. We have to play all those around us. If we don't do well in those fixtures we'll be down. So lets keep our heads up and not worry too much about the Wigan result. Most importantly Pards has got the spirit going.
  • Options
    Pards seems happy and the team gave it their best shot.
    And some of the crowd stayed right to the end - the atmosphere was good especially late on.
  • Options
    it was a bonus game so nothing lost. We were a bit unlucky not to get a draw but i would rather be unlucky and get nothing from today, than from one of the biggies we have coming up.

The gulf in class showed but the effort and determination was there. Despite defeat, i come away pretty positive. Just a shame our two best attacks fell to Faye and not someone more renowned for shooting.

Dug him out a lot in the past, but happy to doth cap to Marcus Bent today, massive step up in effort.
  • Options
    I got my club back today,full of heart and determination,and a special mention to Amdy Faye showed a great deal of determination and courage to put in the second half display after a disappointing first half.
  • Options
    And WE played our part, Pardew mentioned this. We must keep it going.
    Marcus Bent and JT were terrific today IMO.
    Don't look at the table too despondently, look at it like the start of 400m race, with everyone staggered. We may well fall further behind nest week after Man utd but we are in Lane 8. We have a very good home straight to come, emphasis on HOME!
  • Options
    By the end of March after the Wigan game we will know our fate, three homes games and an away at Watford are all winnable, 10 points minimum to help us claw back our start of race lane 8 disadvantage. We must remain strong
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Faye was a different player 2nd half and the best of the central midfield 3 - but he cost us the goal big time

I think too much blame has been attached to Faye for the goal.

He did well to get back and tackle Schevenko. The ball squirted away and in my opinion somebody else (Holland or Hughes) should have been on hand to challenge Lampard before he shot. As it was Faye himself nearly got to him.

I agree that we deserved a draw and even heard some Chelsea fans saying as much on the way home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think there is a gulf in class there is a gulf in quality...
  • Options
    MB is putting in good performances at the moment, with not the greatest of support - If he keeps it up we will reap the reward when Dazz is back.
  • Options
    I cannot believe faye tried to nutmeg Shevchenko which led to the goal.

I sat in the east for this game and that was right in front of me - he played well 2nd half to be fair to him but that wasn't hard after his 1st half
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]And WE played our part, Pardew mentioned this. We must keep it going.
    Marcus Bent and JT were terrific today IMO.
    Don't look at the table too despondently, look at it like the start of 400m race, with everyone staggered. We may well fall further behind nest week after Man utd but we are in Lane 8. We have a very good home straight to come, emphasis on HOME!

well put dood, re the 400m race, good analogy (is that the right word??)
  • Options
    This sort of thing puts me off getting one, as my sister want to buy me one for my Birthday. Lesson learned for me, don't yopu just wish you could catch these people in the act & provide your own justice ..!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]This sort of thing puts me off getting one, as my sister want to buy me one for my Birthday. Lesson learned for me, don't yopu just wish you could catch these people in the act & provide your own justice ..!

Ya wha???
  • Options
    oops wrong Thread supposed to be in the Sat Nav one..! LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]oops wrong Thread supposed to be in the Sat Nav one..! LOL

ha ha you bell end!! (sorry its my new word, you bell end lol lol)