Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

swearing. rooney / mendonca

apologies if this has already been done to death?

this morning, for some reason, the issue arising from rooneys swearing to camera, both in the world cup, along with more recently, the game against west ham. made me think about mendoncas swearing, being caught on camera? he can be clearly seen to say " f*ck off, f*ck off in the play off final against sunderland, presumably to their fans, who were barracking him, after he scored the second equaliser?

i know in mendoncas case he didn't actually run up to the camera in the way that rooney did but nevertheless was still caught on camera and so therefore, potentially offensive.

i think in both cases passion was high and so could be excusable but should mendonca have been charged in the same way as rooney?

Comments

• Options

The problem was that you could hear Rooney say it.

If you were going to punish players for swearing via lipreading then you'd be banning half the team every week.

• Options
    Less emphasis on the respect rules back in 1998! Plus we are little old Charlton so who cares? Rooney is the man the kids want to be in the playground each day... Can't imagine many wanting to be Super Clive!
  • Options
    I wanted to be Super Clive and I regularly tell Mackems to F*** Off.
  • Options
    @cookierules

I can imagine than there were many kids in SE London who imitated Super Clive. Even my three year old boy here in 2011 runs about saying Mendonca when he kicks the ball (thanks mainly to his Auntie, Mrs Large).
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Totally different situation in my opinion. Sky TV viewers hadn't been calling Rooney this that n t'other, he hadn't just scored a hat trick at Wembley in "the most valuable game in football" against his home town club, as Chunes said, you couldn't hear it and he hadn't tracked down a camera position specifically to swear into the lens. I also think in 21st century if you are offended by swearing you need to get out more. I get more irate at the mispronounciation of the word schedule... 
  • Options
    Shed-yul or Sked-yul then Algarve?

And what about scones? Or either?
  • Options
    You need to ask old boy - shame on you (unless you are a secret septic)... Scones: eether (or eyether).
  • Options
    Ha ha !

• Options
    What about Richards & Ballotelli?

More importantly, who cares?
  • Options
    I've just passed the clip of Mendonca on to the FA and they said they will investigate it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst you're there Chirpy, I'm pretty sure that I've a clip of Jim Melrose on VHS mouthing "f**king have that" and clenching his fist after scoring a goal at Selhurst Park once. Picture's a bit grainy and they may need to get a lip reading expert in to prove it, but I'll dig out the tape and we can send them into the FA  together to save on postage.
  • Options
    The poorly Andy Hunt, who probably didn't know how ill he was at that point, can also be seen clearly mouthing the words, 'I'm absolutey f*cked,' in the dug-out when he came off against Coventry at home.
  • Options
    Send the video in hawksmoor - he mustn't be allowed to get away with it. No sir.
  • Options

I'm so glad all this disgusting behaviour is being dealt with now. Expect some very long bans coming for the likes of Mendonca, Melrose and Hunt etc.

Bloody footballers!

• Options
    Does this mean it's safe to watch TV again?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    i don't have a problem with swearing whatsoever, be it in the heat of battle or in day to day life. in fact i'm happier if i see our players / people swearing or showing some emotion, it makes me think they do give a toss

in fact what i get f*cked off with, is having to consider using an asterix, instead of just saying fucked off!

but i guess my point is that if swearing has to be considered good or bad, or whether we have to watch out or be considerate of who may be watching, then do the media as well as those swearing, have to consider what they say or show, even if it is to highlight a point?

the point about mendonca is that he's presumably running to a team mate or section of the crowd that we don't see because of how tight the shot is cropped and therefore perhaps emphasizing the swearing more so, than if viewed more from a wider angled viewpoint?

with reference to the point that nobody wants to be super clive, i would disagree. a player scoring a hat-trick in a wembley final and a player that would be gracing the premiership, would spark interest and along with the fact that at least half the crowd that day, would certainly want to be super clive, i know i did, isn't that enough?

and of course andy hunt hunt hunt was not using it in the manner of rooney or the misinterpreting mendonca?

but more to the point, why is it i still can't get a f*cking picture next to my name for fox sake?
  • Options
    You're not in the clique Sillav!
  • Options
    Other countries dont seem to bother about censorship like we do here. when i go to sweden with the misses, it's refreshing to hear songs on the radio at lunchtime in their original form. eminem, lilly allen, rhianna etc are heard in a whole knew light. Incidentally after listening to the fallout of last weekends premier league games on five live, a programme came on talking about book reviews. the bloke on their read out a few paragraphs from this popular french author aimed at a blokes audience. i nearly choked on my horlicks when i heard the words tits and pussy. even funnier was the interviewer try to cover his arse and ask his programme producer if an apology was necessary. apparently because it was literature it was all above board. maybe we can learn from other europeans. (thats if you consider yourself european lol)
  • Options
    You're not in the clique Sillav!
    no, that's my brother!%~{>