Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

End of the world this weekend - May 21st 2011

All this fuss about who is signing who is not is pretty pointless now.

A Christian group in the US has claimed to have deciphered the Bible and is warning the world is going to end on May 21.

The man behind the campaign is the owner of Family Radio, Howard Camping. He says there are no doubts about when the apocalypse will happen.

"On May 21, there's going to be a terrific earthquake way, way greater than anything else the earth has ever experienced and that will be the beginning of judgment day."

Camping says on judgment day, believers will be raptured - or automatically go to heaven - while non-believers will face five months of misery on earth, finishing with the end of the world in October.

"It is going to happen...God has just given us so much information about this."

That information is in the eyes of the beholder, or the interpreter, in this case. Camping said he determined May 21 as the day of judgment by cobbling together various dates and numbers listed from past events, starting with the great flood which he calculated happened in 4990 BC, and using various multipliers paired with the Hebrew calendar.

It is not the first time Camping has made an apocalyptic prediction. He said the exact same thing would happen in 1994 - something he now blames on a miscalculation.

Not surprisingly, Camping has come under ridicule for his prediction - from both the mainstream public and members of various churches. But he said, the criticism is, and always was expected.

"That's exactly what the Bible teaches; that the lion's share of the world does not accept the Bible as the authority and only a very tiny percentage of the world does, and so the Bible indicates that when we teach this, we will be mocked, the Bible will be mocked and scoffed at and people will be in denial."

So what will Camping be doing on his, potentially, last day on Earth? He said he will be watching the destruction unfold on TV and praying for his non-believing friends and family.

Comments

• FFS!

I've just ordered the De Gale fight.

• Half way through my exams, least I won't have to sit the last ones!
  • Watching it unfold on TV. Keeping it real then. None of that going out preaching, weeping with joy at the rapture as the seraphim fall to Earth.
  • Half way through my exams, least I won't have to sit the last ones!
    Nonono - are you not listening? You clearly haven't heeded Mr Camping's message. You don't need to sit ANY of them - unless you plan on getting them marked before Saturday. Go to the pub instead - you've only got three days left man! Hookers and booze are the order of the day for you.
  • Can't be true as the BBC weather said it's gonna be nice and sunny on Monday!
  • "praying for his non-believing friends and family"

This is the key line in the whole story.   Because of course, the world isn't going to end at the weekend and these idiots are going to need an explanation.  Now, I really can see the future and I can predict with some confidence that they will argue it was their prayers that saved the world.   I didn't need a god to tell me this, just the knowledge that that's how these nutty groups always explain away anything slightly awkward like this.
  • Less worried now as it's still not on the OS.
  • Anyone know how to cancel your season ticket and get your money back quickly ?
  • If it does happen ill be extremely pissed off having spent the last couple of months studying and quitting smoking 6 months ago.

Remember being on a bus in Liverpool on the way to see us at Goodison and two young evertonians in the seats in front of me were arguing that the world was gonna end the following week culminating in one of them (in all seriousness) chirping "I bet you £10 it does la".

• Looks like I've wasted my money on the Euromillions ticket then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bugger. I've got tons of things on Sky+ still to watch.
  • "Camping says .......................while non-believers will face five months
    of misery on earth, finishing with the end of the world in October."

We've just had our 5 months of misery, supporting Charlton this season.
  • Ah, that's okay then - I'll have 5 months in which to spent the Euromillions - should be able to protect myself from most of the misery with that.
  • I'll be pleased to help you spend your winnings quickly, Saga.

You can count me as a friend!
  • edited May 2011
    I'll be pleased to help you spend your winnings quickly, Saga.

You can count me as a friend!
    Oggy, if you are a 26 year-old blond female contortionist, with a stunning figure we have a deal.
  • Strange that because I've been feeling tremors all day.

Chicken & beans for dinner last night.

• Hmmm ........ that's a fail on both the female and the 26 year old blond requirements, Saga.
    Contortionist, nope - only mentally twisted these days. Sorry.

Mind you, if you do find someone young enough to exhaust you - who will be keeping your very attractive wife company?

;o)
  • My wife would've gone straight up to heaven with all the other good people. So, I'd be forced to find a bad girl to spend my last precious days with!
  • I'm really getting into this - if it doesn't happen I'll be disappointed now.
  • In that case,  you find the bad girl, Saga ..... and I'll take over when you're too knackered to continue.

• Sponsored links:

• I just knew I done the wrong thing in renewing my ST
  • Camping said he determined May 21 as the day of judgment by cobbling together various dates and numbers listed from past events...

I alway like my armegedon's based on some cobbled together info. I'm cancelling the papers just in case he's right.

• Don't worry Charlton are top of the Celestial Premiership - and I'm told there is something of a heatwave at Selhurst and the Den.
  • What's more worrying is that Howard Camping is, so I was told, one of the mystery buyers of Charlton
  • So is this end of the world or not? I need to know. I'm off to Newcastle for a stag do tomorrow morning and the level of destruction I do to my body is dictated on whether I have to face the world on Monday or not?!
  • I've been predicting that the world won't end imminently for years now and I don't get in the paper, even though I'm always right.  There's something wrong with our media.
  • I'm playing cricket on that day and if i get to 49 not out and the world ends i will be very very cross!
  • Strange that because I've been feeling tremors all day.

Chicken & beans for dinner last night.

Dfffff... going to register on the rectum scale
  • Did they give a time..?
  • Did they give a time..?
    Some time after Britains got talent.