Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant Basey

edited May 2011 in General Charlton
Currently playing for the posh in the play-offs. Not good enough for us though.

Comments

• Options
    Didnt know he went there, he was at Barnet earlier in the season playing against us as a centre half..
  • Options

Yeah i was disappointed when we released him and thought he had a lot of potential.

Mind shelvey wasnt good enough for us either i seem to recall and i dont think he's ended up too badly.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Was that this season Dave?
  • Options
    Yeh in the FA cup at home Basey was playing at centre half for barnet. They released him and he got a trial with  Peterborough.
  • Options
    I was there - for some reason I thought that was last season. He gets about!
  • Options
    To be fair, Peterborough aren;t exactly renowed for having a very good defence.
  • Options
    Isn't he part of one of the worst defences in the league?
  • Options
    Barnet obviously done him a favour by releasing him, possible big jump from league 2 to the championship.
  • Options

basey has made 5 starts and 2 sub appearances for peterborough

squad player at best

only bristol rovers let in more than the posh in the league this season

• Options
    mark robson is one of the coach's for boro
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good Luck to him. One of the slowest players I think I have seen play for us, with a turning circle of an oil tanker. Cultured though.
  • Options
    He looked okay tonight and he's on his way to Wembley (as the song goes).
  • Options
    Saga are you implying you would have him back?
  • Options

Good Luck to him. One of the slowest players I think I have seen play for us, with a turning circle of an oil tanker. Cultured though.

What - you mean he knows the difference betwenn Monteverdi and Mantovani?
  • Options
    Saga are you implying you would have him back?
    I would, madness to let him go in the first place.
  • Options
    I think he looked like a better player than the one we let go tbh. So, I'd agree with Large.
  • Options
    Yet on another thread you seem to be against the idea of bringing back former players or is it just the ones you didn't like in the first place?
  • Options

What - you mean he knows the difference betwenn Monteverdi and Mantovani?

.....and Mascagni.
  • Options
    Agree with oohaah he's a squad player at best in this league for the top teams. It's not that he's a poor player, but I wouldn't have him as a regular at left or centre back in a team going for promotion from League 1 (yet, still young). Not a midfielder either for me.

Though considering we only had Fry on loan come the start of the season to play left back (well and Jackson), we could have probably kept him as part of the squad. Surely wouldn't have been on big money.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yet on another thread you seem to be against the idea of bringing back former players or is it just the ones you didn't like in the first place?
    I am fed up with all the threads on here linking us with former players - where did I say I wanted Grant back? I'm just remarking on the fact that he was playing in the play-offs (which we didn't manage) and then later I remarked that he is looking good these days (but not in a gay way). 

Yea, and maybe I think we should've kept him (as implied by my saying I agreed with Large). However, this is different from the numerous posts linking us with every fecking player who's played 5 minutes for Charlton in the last 15 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Admittedly, I googled Mascagni @ Wheresmeticket? Like the humour.

So, Basey has managed to Un-Charltonise himself?
  • Options
    But you stated you agree with Large who said he would have him back. I do agree with you that it is tedious people on here starting threads about bringing back former players who are available/may or may not be within our reach. However by starting this thread you must have known it would start that sort of discussion. 
  • Options
    But you stated you agree with Large who said he would have him back. I do agree with you that it is tedious people on here starting threads about bringing back former players who are available/may or may not be within our reach. However by starting this thread you must have known it would start that sort of discussion. 
    I've slightly amended my earlier post.

I started this thread simply because I was surprised to see Grant on the pitch in an L1 play-off match. I'm a simple man so I didn't think of where it would go.
  • Options
    He s made the most of his talent which we really cannot say most of our squad has done this season.All the best to Grant Basey-never seemed to moan or make a fuss just tried to do his best.Cafc players take note.
  • Options

Despite being a bit slow I always rated Grant - thought he had a sweet left foot, was commited in a challenge and could play left sided centre half just as easily as left back.

And he was 'one of ours'.

• Options
    Bloody hope Huddersfield win the final. Don't want them in this league next season. Peterbrough will probably lose Makail-Smith and Boyd if the fail to go up and could be a soft touch next year with their leaky defence.
  • Options
    Did we really let him go or did he turn down a contract last summer like Randolph? He was on trial at Aberdeen pre season and would have been offered reduced terms by us having previously been on a championship contract
  • Options
    Mention of Mark Robson reminded of what a good Coach he was that we lost while we were making a series of poor decisions over managers.
  • Options
    I think he looked like a better player than the one we let go tbh. So, I'd agree with Large.

I thought he looked solidish til the injury caused by Blizzard
  • Options
    Also hope Huddersfield go up, Barry Fry has said they are very likely to lose Mackail Smith and Boyd so that would affect them next season whereas get the feeling Huddersfield would be just as strong if not stronger.