Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton related parenting advice please.

edited May 2011 in General Charlton

My daughter, who is at primary school, told me this morning that she has been getting teased by an Arsenal supporter in her class for supporting Charlton and wondered what to do about it.  I wasn't sure what to say and thought about suggesting that she rise above it, turn the other cheek, don't stoop to his level and so on, but in the end I suggested that if it happens again she just says, "One more word and I will kill you, you fat, plastic glory hunter."

Have I done the right thing?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good enough to me.  
  • Options
    Tell her to ask the Arsenal fan how many players in the most recent full England squad were produced by them and how many were produced by Charlton.

I think you'll find that winning that 2-1 is fairly impressive for such a plucky outfit ;-)
  • Options
    Tell her to ask her schoolmate what the commute to school from North London is like.
  • Options

This is all Parky's fault.

Now that he's at Arsenal, I would imagine that he has sent letters out to all young Gooners suggesting they tease young Addicks.

Write a letter to him asking for compensation.

And equip your daughter with a miniature baseball bat on Monday in case the lad tries it again.

• Options
    My brothers boy went back to school after the holidays, and the teacher asked what songs they had learnt whilst away, he then gave her a rendition of the build a bonfire song! 
    ( He was 7 at the time!)
  • Options

My daughter, who is at primary school, told me this morning that she has been getting teased by an Arsenal supporter in her class for supporting Charlton and wondered what to do about it.  I wasn't sure what to say and thought about suggesting that she rise above it, turn the other cheek, don't stoop to his level and so on, but in the end I suggested that if it happens again she just says, "One more word and I will kill you, you fat, plastic glory hunter."

Have I done the right thing?

I would say you have shown remarkable restraint.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Same thing happened to my youngest son, who's seven, with all his Chelsea-supporting mates. I remember about a year ago he came up to me all nervous and said, 'Dad, I've decided not to support Charlton any more. I'm going to support Chelsea.'

Haven't spoken to him since...
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You should tell your Daughter if it happens again to say ... yes i support a club that doesn't win trophies as well!
  • Options
    You could tell them that the last time Arsenal won a trophy, he/she wasn't born. Or ask him/her to name as many Arsenal players as they can. There is probably a map of London in the School somewhere, ask them  to point to the Ground and tell you what is it called ( before she goes make sure she can point to and name The Valley ). If all else fails, a good slap should do the trick.
  • Options
    glory hunter works best, I support my local team not the flavour of the month, etc if that doesn't work hit them with the heaviest object to hand
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tell her to say Barcelona are her 2nd team and how many times has he/she gone to the Emirates?

• Options

And so it came to pass that a little girl in tears came running from the crowd towards Saint Christopher of the Powellites and his 11 disciples who were on the fields of training.

The angry old Christian from the north and the the old toothless Doc did tryeth to stop the little girl but of course being nearly 10 years of age, she runneth far too fast for them.

"What is it my child that do upset you so" asked Saint Christopher.

"It is those evil people from the lands of  Emperor Wenger of the Highburies" the little girl sobbed.

" They do persecute the people of the Red Valley and tell them that they are unclean and will never see glory"

And Saint Christopher stood up and turned to the people of the Red Valley gathered their abouts and put on his designer hat for he was full of wrath.

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming the Lord (Curbs) in a Holy vision" he said.

"Since our old leader Saint Parky of Hoofball joined those evil Highburies and their Arab friends from the desert there has been nothing but strife between our two lands. Judas Jenkinson has betrayed us for his new Bentley and now the once loved Saint Oo Scott Parker of the Kings Road will be joining them too. He was once worshipped in the Red Valley and now he has sold his soul to the Highburies. These are bad omens indeed.

Then Saint Christopher said to the little girl.

"Little girl do not getteth all upset . You must wipe away those tears of shame. The glory days will come again to the Red Valley and Floyd Road will flow like a red river of smiling faces singing our ancient hymns of praise. And then we will return to the rich Arab lands of the Highburies where even the Gents  toilets are paved with gold from the Emirates. We will show those glory seeking, smoked salmon munching, plastic supporters who knoweth nothing of their footy history a thingeth or two.

Just tell those evil Highburies to remember the famous battle of 4 November 2001 when they did not look so clever. And if they have forsaken this day we will send them the video free-eth of charge for they are truly a bunch of complete tossers.

This is the word of the Lord (Curbs) Amen

• Options

Uboat - I assume your daughter goes to the games?

My eldest used to get this from the playground glory boys, his reply

'At least I go to the games, you've never seen Man U, Arsenal etc.'

• Options
    Why would you allow your child to be educated amongst such people ?

Send her to the Floyd Road commune, the only place for a truly wholesome education.
  • Options
    Grumpy - once again that is quality. Don't know how you do it but long may it continue.
  • Options

Grumpy,you really know your classics

The thingeth got me on the floor

• Options

Another inspiring reading from the book of Addick by the Reverend Grumps.  It doth inspire all followers of the one true faith (i.e CAFC).

All together now: 'Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen'.

As for the Arse, just remind their polypropylene 'fans' that they were kicked out of the promised land (SE London) for their vile, pernicious ways.  Anyway, most of their fans are made of PVC, so once you have punched their lights out, you can just pop them in the recycling bin and enjoy the twin karma win of saving the world by ridding it of plastic waste and keeping the polar bears happy at the same time.

I can't wait to hear what GH's solution to this conundrum would be btw!

• Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    I got one on the way and I have been told by at least three people now that making it support Charlton could be a form of child abuse. Fair point really.
  • Options
    At least i support a proper team, how many games have you been to? name me 6 arsenal players, No? didnt think so, walk away, have that .. :P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    briliant again grumpyaddick ! i have had a very very bad day but your great posting has cheered me up so much cheers mate!
  • Options
    just get that video out the club made and get the girl to watch it....
  • Options
    Glory hunter or plastic fan, Also when someone used to tease me about charlton i would say how many games have you been to? And that would usually silence them 
  • Options
    I was a little saddened to read some Addicks supporting an immediate resource to violence simply because of a disagreement between primary school children. This is not the way to resolve a divergence of opinions.  I assume that both children are familiar with the works of the great phiosophers such as Plato, Wittgenstein, Descartes and the amateur goalkeeper Albert Camus.  I have little doubt that your daughter will be able to rely on satire, irony, absurdism and a liberal helping of mockery to reduce her opponent to her knees.  If this doesn't succeed then use the baseball bat.  There are limits to anyone's patience.
  • Options
    Had something similar North of the border.The 5 y/o getting grief from a Celtic supporter after the boy had been telling his little mates about the" best day of his life" going to watch Charlton at Carlisle with his Dad ,his first game ever.This apparently went on for a day or two.The boy gave him a slap.Next trick  me and his Mother are in the Heads office getting a lecture about fighting off some one Scottish,shes glaring at me as Im  trying not to laugh at the irony of getting a lecture off someone Scottish about having a ruck!!
  • Options
    Just instruct her to slowly shake her head whilst saying " I feel really sorry for you. If you don't know why then there's no point in my trying to explain". The culprits will be wrong footed and baffled in equal measure. When your daughter asks you about this strategy just shake your head and say " if you don't know why then there's no point in my trying to explain" everybody's happy.
  • Options

Many thanks for the wealth of valuable advice on here.  The upside of this experience is that, as with me in the early 80s, the combination of persecution and failure seem to have strengthened her faith.  She wants a shirt for her birthday and can't wait for the new season.

Shame about my other daughter, who is in full denial, refuses to wear her shirt and has asked instead for an 'Arsenal or Tottenham' shirt.  She won't be getting either.

• Options
    Tell them either one of these two things.....
    # At least we don't have to go looking for an assistant manager who has not coached higher
    than the Championship. (or one league below)
    # The spirit of Charlton is such and always has been that a former player (or players
    if you include Pardew) wanted to be our manager. The assistant manager for Arsenal
    has never played for them and how many ex players were lining up for that or the main job.
  • Options
    The problem is that some Children like the adults they grow into are cruel bastards. If it wasn't Charlton they would have found something else. It sounds like low level bullying but if the kid doesn't react in the right way it can be the hook to lead to something  more. If you know the parents have a gentle word if it is upsetting you child.
  • Options

Another inspiring reading from the book of Addick by the Reverend Grumps.  It doth inspire all followers of the one true faith (i.e CAFC).

All together now: 'Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen'.

As for the Arse, just remind their polypropylene 'fans' that they were kicked out of the promised land (SE London) for their vile, pernicious ways.  Anyway, most of their fans are made of PVC, so once you have punched their lights out, you can just pop them in the recycling bin and enjoy the twin karma win of saving the world by ridding it of plastic waste and keeping the polar bears happy at the same time.

I can't wait to hear what GH's solution to this conundrum would be btw!

Surely it should be "You're shit aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen"?

And ask the kid how many European Players of the Year/Ballon D'Or winners have played for Arsenal.