Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Leary

edited May 2011 in General Charlton

Apologies if posted before but the search facility showed nothing.

http://stuartleary.com/index.html

Comments

• Options
    Great find Len.

Love the 1st clause of his contract!

Obviously never saw him play (can't even recall any footage) but 163 goals for any club is something quite special.
  • Options
    nice one len, very interesting read and some great old pics (love the old pics) what a life he had eh!
  • Options
    only ever saw him play cricket for Kent at Blackheath.
  • Options
    Saw him score in my first ever Charlton match in '62.

Found dead on table mountain SA from an apparent suicide.

A Charlton legend without doubt
  • Options
    Great find...
  • Options
    Saw him over a number of seasons, he was an excellent player and one we let go before we should have. 
  • Options
    Probably one of the most stylish players that I've seen play for the club; had so much time on the ball and despite playing deep one of our top scorers. Also a lovely bloke, always had time to talk either at the cricket or after the game at the Valley in the bar under the old stand. His autograph wasn't worth much as he was always ready to sign.  It was a shame about how he left......
  • Options
    Stuart Leary and Johnny Summers made a formidable goalscoring partnership - both great players and both died in tragic circumstances - remember them well.
  • Options
    Endorse Lancs Lads remarks. From what I recall Leary was more of the deep lying latter day Ian St John (Liverpool) type of Centre Forward with plenty of guile, whilst Summers (my boyhood hero albeit ex Millwall!) barrel chested great left foot and a more bustling type of striker at outside left or centre forward like Malcolm Macdonald (Arsenal & Newcastle).
  • Options
    What an excellent site - that first contract is very interesting!

Thanks for posting it on here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really enjoyed this site.Watched my first game in Feb 1950 and Stuart and Eddie Firmani came over about that time as teenagers.
  • Options
    great stuff. thanks for posting
  • Options
    Certainly a Charlton legend. He was coming to the end of his Charlton career when I started going. After Charlton/Kent I believe he went back to SA and coached cricket to youngsters. A SA friend of mine told me he was his cricket coach. 
  • Options
    only ever saw him play cricket for Kent at Blackheath.
    Me too.  Took an amazing catch.
  • Options
    Thought I'd bump this as last seen 3 years ago. Came across it again reading some cricket stuff.

http://stuartleary.com/index.html
  • Options
    thanks Len, remember him scoring at Derby on a very muddy pitch when the ball just rolled over the line, 0-1 I think
  • Options
    Quite a random bump, but this link (http://stuartleary.com/index.html) is not working for me.
    Can anyone help me please? :)

I'm a South African Charlton fan, and I was hoping to find more information about Stuart Leary's career.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Here's his contract from 1955, £15 a week!

• Options

Stolen Property, give it back at once : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stolen Property, give it back at once : - )
    Liberated
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options

Visual summary of his career

• Options
    One of the best players I have seen playing for Charlton him and Eddie Firmani were a great partnership.
    I think he was a player ahead of his time, there were very few deep lying centre forwards in those days.
    I think it also showed what a great manager Jimmy Seed was to find all these great South African players, very good piece on him in VOTV
  • Options
    My favourite player.
  • Options
    Proud to say was named after him.
  • Options

Here's his contract from 1955, £15 a week!

Thanks for sharing that :)
  • Options

Visual summary of his career

Thanks :) Are there any other of these "Valley Heroes" pieces?
  • Options

Yes, about 23
  • Options

One of the best players I have seen playing for Charlton him and Eddie Firmani were a great partnership.
    I think he was a player ahead of his time, there were very few deep lying centre forwards in those days.
    I think it also showed what a great manager Jimmy Seed was to find all these great South African players, very good piece on him in VOTV

I know, it seems crazy that in a time where you had to travel by ship from England to SA that he managed to find a player like Leary!